Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Wolf-Eyes Thunder 3-cree LED ????

Default Re: Wolf-Eyes Thunder 3-cree LED ????

As it getting hot... hehehe

Which one to choose.... pls don't advise both i know it but cant afford at the moment.

The issue with the thunder its his length, though its dual bat is great and being able to use it on a rifle.... on the other hand the storm is compact and can be used as a duty light....

Come on i need help which one??? :-)

Thanks,

Oren

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by oren1s View Post
    As it getting hot... hehehe

Which one to choose.... pls don't advise both i know it but cant afford at the moment.

The issue with the thunder its his length, though its dual bat is great and being able to use it on a rifle.... on the other hand the storm is compact and can be used as a duty light....

Come on i need help which one??? :-)

Thanks,

Oren
    The Thunders dual battery capability makes it the only logical choice for a "Duty" light out of the two, even considering its size IMHO. Rechargables are great.... Until the time comes when there is NO electrical source available to charge it up

ETA: If you run out of primary (CR123) cells, just shine your Thunder to the sky! I will surely get the signal as we are both in IL., and I will hook you up with some batteries. Im stocked up!
    Last edited by NickDrak; 09-18-2007 at 02:21 PM.
    "One is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully." (Lt. COL. Jeff Cooper U.S.M.C.)

Quote Originally Posted by 96TL View Post
    Please post some pics as soon as you can. Beam shots would be awesome too. Thanks Mike!
    Okay, I just started an official Pre-order thread in the Dealers forum with some pictures.
    Here: http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/sho...d.php?t=169510

Iím planning to take some beam shots this weekend at our Washington get together with the help of electromage. Iím sure there will be some interesting stuff to compare them to.
    Last edited by Mike@PTS; 09-18-2007 at 04:32 PM.
    Cheers,
    Mike S

Pacific Tactical Solutions Inc. CPF Discount, start here>> PTS Account
    Then PM me your last name and email so I can set your account for the discount.
    Or just place an order and add your CPF name to the comments box and we'll apply the discount.

Talking Re: Wolf-Eyes Thunder 3-cree LED ????

Thanks Nick,

Though i have on board in my SUV DC/AC Converter 1500W and at home i got a generator 5kva :-)

But still freash 123's works whenever you need within 10 years .

The problem i have got is with the wife hehehehe

Oren

I can't wait to get this light and compare it head to head against my 24 watt Boxer and M300. I hope to get it before October 15th because most of the caves in the area are closed after that date for bat habitat.

Imagine if Wolf Eyes releases some D23 Q5 equiped upgraded lamp assemblies

Tri-Q5 sounds interesting, but this probably won't happen till next year.

Sorry i didn't understand, how do you turn on the Thunder for a cont. light on?

How differ is the reverse cliky of the Storm from the one on the Thunder?

Thanks

Enlightened

Dear Mike,
    do you know when we can expect some beamshots of the Storm ???
    Can you post some ???
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by PapikAldo View Post
    Dear Mike,
    do you know when we can expect some beamshots of the Storm ???
    Can you post some ???
    Thanks.
    +1 on beamshots.
    Robin

Enlightened

Quote Originally Posted by cliff View Post
    I just pre-ordered the Thunder AX, since I already have some 168As and a charger. It makes sense that the AX will run 10 hours on low (30 lumens) on 4 x cr123 batteries. However, the Thunder A on 2 x 168A batteries only has a total runtime of 2+ hours, yet it has 10 more minutes regulated on high. Is there a typo somewhere in those specs?

With a bezel diameter of 2.45", a SF FM24 diffuser should be almost an exact fit, or at least close enough for government work, which pleases me to no end.

It is particularly gratifying that the emitters can be plucked out and replaced as new developments occur. 510 lumens should be enough, but this way I won't be bummed when the 1000 lumen model comes out.
    Dear Mike,
    There will be a 1000 Lumen version of the Storm ???
    I've heard that next year they will release the version with 3 Cree Q5 LEDs, but won't it have about 750 Lumens ???
    Can't wait for the beamshots of the current version...
    Thanks

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by PapikAldo View Post
    Dear Mike,
    There will be a 1000 Lumen version of the Storm ???
    PapikAldo:

Whoa, don't take my weak attempt at humor as evidence/rumor of any 1000 lumen Thunder/Storm. I'm just assuming that in a couple years there will be more powerful emitters, and at least Wolfeyes is taking this into consideration.

If so, it may very well be more complicated than just popping in new emitters, but the fact that the Thunder's emitters are user-replaceable will certainly not complicate matters.
    ARC LS-2, ARC AAA white, turquoise, red, Arc AAA Premium, CMG Infinity white, red, yellow CMG Infinity Ultra-G, CMG Reactor III, SL Ultrastinger, SL Polystinger, Inova X1, Surefire E2E, KL1 & U2, Peak Matterhorn, Petzle Zipka, Peak Kilmanjaro Ultra 1-LED (red) and 7-LED (red), Gerber Infinity Red & White, Fenix L1P & L2P, Mag LED 2-D.

Beamshots anyone?

Flashaholic

Beamshots anyone?
    Mine shipped yesterday so I hope to have it by tomorrow or Tuesday at the latest. I will try to take some beam shots while Im at work with it.
    "One is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully." (Lt. COL. Jeff Cooper U.S.M.C.)

I'm looking forward to it. Thanks!

I got mine yesterday!! yes, I was compulsive enough to call Mike on Wednesday and pay the extra $$$$ for overnight. I'll try to post a whitewall comparison with some other well known lights this afternoon.
    ps. It's bright!!!!

Flashaholic

Mine showed up today!!! I will try to get some beam shots posted up later!!!

I'm ready to order pending beam shots.

Flashaholic

Okay, mine showed up today First impressions of the "Thunder" are....

Feels well made to my hands. Not of the Surefire type quality that I am used to, but feels very solid and well made none-the-less.

Not sure about the tailcap function as of yet. It does have the required (For Me) momentary ON feature, but the activation is not as simple as a SF clicky as you have to first cycle through Low momentary to get to High momentary/Constant On. (I am getting used to it quickly) The button is a little awkward to activate due to the Thunders length/weight, and the low profile of the button itself, but not overly awkward. I believe this light would benefit greatly from a "LeefGrip" style grip enhancer just in front of the tailcap.

I will attempt to take some beam-shots while working tonight. From monkeying around the house with it, it does appear to be wikedly bright!!!

Flashaholic

BUMMER!

Well, I dont have any beam-shots to post because the Thunder crapped out on me. I believe it is a defective tailcap assembly because while I was testing it out at work, the light started acting erratically, switching from high to low on its own, and in the low mode the light would start to flicker. Then after a few more clicks....NOTHING! I tried a fresh set of batteries to no avail. A real shame since this light was ridiculously bright with a very smooth beam for the short amount of time it was working. Wish I had better news to report, but I dont!

Quote Originally Posted by NickDrak View Post
    BUMMER!

Well, I dont have any beam-shots to post because the Thunder crapped out on me. I believe it is a defective tailcap assembly because while I was testing it out at work, the light started acting erratically, switching from high to low on its own, and in the low mode the light would start to flicker. Then after a few more clicks....NOTHING! I tried a fresh set of batteries to no avail. A real shame since this light was ridiculously bright with a very smooth beam for the short amount of time it was working. Wish I had better news to report, but I dont!
    Don't give up just yet, I had a similar problem. Try removing the the bezel and loosening the 3 individual led modules just a bit. mine was acting weird with only low working and refusing to go to high and that trick fixed it. Maybe the heat caused something in there to expand just a little too much.....
    Good luck!!!
    I also posted some beamshots of the thunder here:
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...d.php?t=176623

BUMMER!

Sorry to hear that. Please update the thread after you try gostanova's suggestion. And good luck!
    Robin

Wow. Not a good sign huh? Maybe I should pass on this one for now.

Flashaholic

No dice on the emitter fix. I am in contact with Mike @ PTS for a solution.

No dice on the emitter fix. I am in contact with Mike @ PTS for a solution.
    Sorry to hear that. Please post the results of the solution.
    Robin

Flashaholic

Will do. Mike is taking care of me, and sending out a new light on Monday. I am going to give this light another chance due to the awesome potential that it showed during the short time mine worked.

BTW: It seems that the tailcap assembly on mine is the culprit as it seperated from the tailcap housing.

I also would like to say that ALL manufacturers let a lemon slip through QC from time to time, even my beloved Surefire. It is how the company or dealer decides to handle the issue is what really counts, and Mike @ PTS seems to be one of the good guys. I wouldnt let my intial experience turn you away from getting one of these unless it turns out to be a common issue. This is why I chose NOT to overreact like I have seen many do around here when they receive a lemon.
    Last edited by NickDrak; 10-07-2007 at 12:17 AM.

Good to see you not giving it to WE over this Nick as some might. Strange as i have had no problems with any of my tail caps with any of my WE, the potential in this light looks good.
    There's no truth in the news and no news in the truth

If it's a bad tailcap and you remove the cap and short the negative of the battery to the end of the battery tube it should light up.

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by Mike@PTS View Post
    When you get your Thunder, let us know how the filter fits.
    My Thunder AX came yesterday and it is an impressively made device. After close examination I can see no difference in build quality between the AX and my U2. Emitters are threaded into a fitting which threads into the flashlight head and is covered over by a lens holder which threads onto the bezel. Everything is hand-tight, precisely threaded and has substantial heft.

Outside, targets can be blazingly lit at 25 yards and well-lit at 50. Tinted car windows are no big problem either.

The SF FM24 diffuser filter does not quite fit however. It could be made to fit by wrapping the head with some tape, but I will not be inclined to put a diffuser on this light. The hotspot of three Crees is very broad, but there is also sidespill from three Crees and this lights up a broad enough area that a diffuser should not be necessary.

Unfortunately one of the emitter modules stopped firing and I haven't been able to determine a cause. It may need replacement, but if so that is not unusual. My first U2 emitter burned out shortly after I got it, and it took three tailcaps before the thing worked properly. New products sometimes have a few bugs, but the Thunder AX is well worth the money and well worth ironing the bugs out of, just like the U2. When functioning properly, this light is exactly what I need.
    ARC LS-2, ARC AAA white, turquoise, red, Arc AAA Premium, CMG Infinity white, red, yellow CMG Infinity Ultra-G, CMG Reactor III, SL Ultrastinger, SL Polystinger, Inova X1, Surefire E2E, KL1 & U2, Peak Matterhorn, Petzle Zipka, Peak Kilmanjaro Ultra 1-LED (red) and 7-LED (red), Gerber Infinity Red & White, Fenix L1P & L2P, Mag LED 2-D.

Two Thunders out of commission already?

Ouch.

Flashaholic

Two Thunders out of commission already?

Ouch.
    Actually, mine is only 1/3 out of commission but with two emitters firing it is still the brightest flashlight in my inventory. Mike advises he is sending out a new emitter so this condition should be temporary.

Speaking of ouch, this light comes with the usual warning about not looking into the beam, etc. but in the Thunder's case this is particularly good advice. I managed to glance at a mirror it was pointed toward (with all three emitters going) and was seeing spots for a long, long time. If this thing is shined in someone's eyes intentionally it is definately going to mess with their vision, day or night.