LED Road Flare suggestions?

jhitch

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone have any experience with some of the various LED road flare replacements out there? I am interested in stocking my car kits with some but don't know if they are worth it.

greenLED

Flashaholic
I bought a whole bunch of turboflares and sent them out to all family members. They work off AA, they're bombproof/waterproof, not too pricey, etc.

About the only had thing I can think of is that they can get switched on if you keep them lose in your trunk. You gotta find a separate box for them.

Echo63

Flashlight Enthusiast
ive got a single Eflare EF400
still running on its original set of batteries, although it hasnt been used much, maybe an hour all up over the three years i have had it
i did turn it on, drop it by the side of the road (with a person so it didnt get nicked) drove off and measured how far from when i first saw it to where it was
it was visible from 1500m which was as i came over the top of the hill (the longest distance i could test at the time)
i probably should buy another one or two
they are here http://www.eflarecorp.com/

i have an orange one, they are also available in multiple colours, the local police department have ones that flash red/blue

Last edited:

TorchBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
That looks safer than the pyrotechnical flare in my car at present.

My brother used to have a magnetic mount orange flashing halogen light that he used occasionally. He reported that people sure paid attention to it where they just ignored standard hazard lights (all indicators at once).

What's the brightest orange LED?

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've used turboflares for years now - created an LZ for a medical helicopter and effectively sold the crew on them :)

Plus, if all else fails, they make a heck of a party light in the pool :p

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
IMHO, real flares have an advantage if you every need to get attention in daytime, what with the human brain's immediate response to FIRE and their distinct smoke signatures. I don't think anything works better, and they're cheap, store indefinitely, can start fires and dissuade feral animals if you every need to.

As a CPFer, you should have both...

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Interesting comments...

I just ordered a bunch of PowerFlare units. I couldn't decide if red or amber would work better, so in true CPF fashion I order some of each.

I will let you know what I think of them when I get them.

By the way, if anyone is interested in these units, they are increasing the price on Feb 1, 2008.

Tom

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
I'd be interested in how they compare to the TurboFlares. If "you get what you pay for" applies - these look like they may be brighter? (I'm not knocking the TurboFlares by any means though. Many of us got a GREAT price on them some time ago in a group buy.)

JOshooter helped me with a TurboFlare test, it was very visible at 100 yards (in the dark of course :ohgeez: ).

Last edited:

lastdefender

Newly Enlightened
Interesting comments...

I just ordered a bunch of PowerFlare units. I couldn't decide if red or amber would work better, so in true CPF fashion I order some of each.

I will let you know what I think of them when I get them.

By the way, if anyone is interested in these units, they are increasing the price on Feb 1, 2008.

Tom

Do you have an update for us?