• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

New "SOB" driver boards?

Greta

Flashaholic
Copied from HERE.

KDOG305-31-2007 01:06 PM
New "SOB" driver boards?

How do they differ from the Downboys?

dat2zip05-31-2007 03:15 PMRe: New "SOB" driver boards?

The new SOB basically operates the same as the Downboy as it is a buck converter with similar specifications. SOB supply voltage is limited to 16V max.

The SOB has Sandwich connector pin holes if you want to make a Sandwich with it and the bottom ring is finally connected to ground. The Downboy the perimeter ring on the bottomside floats and is not connected to anything.

The SOB IC has thermal protection so it should be harder to kill the converter board and the design has been tested to 1.5A output which is the limit for the SOB. The SOB can run without potting or heatsinking although I would always recommend some form of thermal transfer even for the converter board as the cooler the converter board is kept the more efficient they tend to operate.

Wayne

monkeyboy06-09-2007 07:55 AMRe: New "SOB" driver boards?

Is it possible to connect two SOBs in parallel for double the current? (Or any other driver board for that matter)

DFiorentino06-09-2007 10:29 AMRe: New "SOB" driver boards?

I've run 2xDB700 in parallel for 1400ma feeding a R/O LuxIII. It sounds like the SOB's would be even better for this since I noted heat was a definite issues when running the 2xDB setup (which I had to pot).

-DF

monkeyboy06-09-2007 05:24 PMRe: New "SOB" driver boards?

Thanks, that's good to know.

I was thinking ahead to when the Luxeon GenX emitters come on to the market. 500lm at 2A. I guess 2 x SOB 1000mA will do the trick.

c0t0d0s007-17-2007 11:14 AMRe: New "SOB" driver boards?

How does the thermal protection work? Does it gradually reduce output, or simply kill the power upon reaching a certain threshold? What's the threshold?