Leatherman Wave, CHIPPED!!!

Gaffle

Enlightened
I was messing around with my Wave today, trying to pry the LED housing of my PP apart and *snap*. The tip of the flathead broke! This is the older Wave, before the screwdriver attachments were around. I use this thing all the time. Well, its time to test out that warranty.

Retinator

Enlightened
Ouch! Was that the small flat screwdriver?

I also have the old Wave, about 5 or 6 yrs old now.

Hope they send you a new Wave (with bit driver and all).

Let us know how it goes, good luck!

You might wanna pick up another good multitool, just in case :> Like lights the only problem with having many is having to choose just 1 (or 2) :laughing:

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
As you discovered, prying with a screwdriver can break it.

Consider buying a small prybar (made by Estwing, Vaughn, Stanley, etc.) and using that instead. I cut the end off a small prybar and carry it daily.

prybar-modified.jpg

cutlerylover

Banned

Consider buying a small prybar

Sorry to hear your sscrewdriver broke on your wave...I agree with parnass...you cna buy a small prybar from countycomm, they ahve 2 sizes, both only cost $5 each plus shipping...I use mine all the time...they are called widgy bars, very helpfull for all kind sof little tasks...they are made of tool steel and very strong, but you do need to make sure they don't get wet, they will rust...Anyway, sorry to hear about that man, that stinks...let us know what Leatherman can do for ya! Good luck!

2000xlt

Flashlight Enthusiast
They will replace it, I have had two leathermans replaced, one was mine, the knife broke, sent it out and they sent me a new one, i did not want a new one since mine was broken in good, almost opened like a butterfly, The other leather man i sent out was my bosses, he was twisting a screw head out of a hole that was stripped so the screwdriver was not cutting it, then "snap" half of the plier head broke off, THAT was on a super tool. That why i like the leatherman tools If something should happen you can take advantage of their 25 year warranty

scott.cr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ooops, yep, old timers love to remind us youngins that a knife is not a screwdriver and a screwdriver is not a prybar.

Add to that... almost all the parts on a Gerber multitool (except springs and blades) are sintered steel, which is relatively fragile. You can't put nearly as much force torquing a screwdriver as you can prying with it.

cutlerylover

Banned
Wait...what do you mean a screwdriver is not for prying? Why do I have it then?

I Don't use it much for screws.

Thanks for the update!

Best,

RL

Its justa simple matter of having the right ool for the job, thats all...would you butter your toast with a spoon? Its possible but not an easy as with a butter knife, know what I mean?

TITAN1833

Flashlight Enthusiast

Consider buying a small prybar (made by Estwing, Vaughn, Stanley, etc.) and using that instead. I cut the end off a small prybar and carry it daily.

prybar-modified.jpg
What you carry that.if i did in the UK i would be arrested for going equipped for theft.such a joke our laws are.LOL

beautifully-stupid

Newly Enlightened
Just remember ... when you send it in...

"it happened with normal use"

of course... My wave was replaced after the same thing happened ... I now carry the same prybar mentioned above ^^

Secur1

Enlightened
Sorry about the off topic but....
Does the Estwing logo on that small pry bar look more like a foot than a wing, or is it just me ? :p

Retinator

Enlightened
Those toes look like hurricane Dean's been on them :crackup:

Carrot, you beat me to it, this man needs a Prybaby!

It only has to save your butt once or twice before you appreciate having one.

NeonLights

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just found my old style Wave after being lost for a year. I was quite happy. If it were me, I would hope Leatherman would just repair the tool by replacing the broken screwdriver, I like the old Wave better than the new one with the bit driver.

NeitherExtreme

Newly Enlightened
Like others have said, LM should take good care of you. Years ago I broke the end of the tiny screwdriver on my old PST. I'm sure I could send it in, but my only fear is they'd send me a new one, and I have to much history with this one to let it go just like that!

Gaffle

Enlightened
I just found my old style Wave after being lost for a year. I was quite happy. If it were me, I would hope Leatherman would just repair the tool by replacing the broken screwdriver, I like the old Wave better than the new one with the bit driver.

I don't want the bit drivers with the newer Waves. I really hope they can just replace that small flathead.

For the record, I didn't have sweat on my forehead and veins popping out in my neck when I was prying. I mean I could use almost the same amount of force to loosen a tight screw. I was prying in a turning motion. I'll be sending it out on Monday.

Picture201-1.jpg

Last edited:

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
Co-worker broke the tip of his PLIERS on his older wave. After some prodding he recently sent it in and the mailed him back a new Wave.

DieselDave

Super Moderator,
My new Wave was run over several times by cars going 40mph before my buddy found it. I left it on a bumper. It's trashed, bent and nothing on the inside will open. It's strickly a knife, saw and file now. I wouldn't dare try and warranty it. I will buy another one at some point but am using my old Victorinox Swisstool for now. Sort of depressing with no one to blame but myself.

jpmblok

Newly Enlightened
Hello all,

I had a wave from a friend that gave me his as a present. It had a chipped screw driver. I brought it to a Leatherman service center nearby and they sent it for repair. It came back, polished and fixed, free of charge. They did mention it was not really a guarantee issue.. as they suspected wrong use. Anyways my experience: GREAT SERVICE from Leatherman! :thumbsup:

Maurice

Last edited: