Fitorch        
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ATTN: ALL DEALERS & MANUFACTURERS!!!

Exclamation ATTN: ALL DEALERS & MANUFACTURERS!!!

First, I want to start with some definitions:

Dealer: A dealer is a seller that maintains a status with a distributor indicitave of a dealer or reseller, or practices regular and frequent acquisition of sellable goods, and targets CPF's membership as prospective customers, unless granted dealer status exemption from CPF's administration. The use of an outside retail and/or wholesale business website is not necessarily a requirement or an exclusion for dealer status on CPF or CPFMP. In other words... If you are purchasing items at wholesale, have a store, or tax resale certificate, you are considered a dealer and must purchase the appropriate membership.

Manufacturer: A manufacturer is commercially involved as a maker of goods produced independently of significant input and/or participation/involvement from CPF's membership, and doesn't significantly produce any goods through such significant input and/or participation/involvement. The use of an outside retail and/or wholesale business website is not necessarily a requirement or an exclusion for manufacturer status on CPF or CPFMP.

Custom Builders & Modders: For the purposes of any forums associated with CandlePowerForums, (CPF proper, the MarketPlace, the Underground), a custom builder or modder can be a manufacturer. However, the distinction would be that the manufacturer started their business here on CPF and is still with us, at least to a reasonable extent. A few examples would be McGizmo, The Sandwich Shoppe, Arc, Peak, Lumencraft, Barbolight, and a few others. A few examples of Custom Modders would be cmacclel, milkyspit, and several others. (Please do not assume that if you are not specifically named here, you do not qualify. I just don't have time to list everyone).

So now here's the meat of this thread.

If you feel that you qualify as a Custom Builder or Modder based on the criteria above, please email or PM me with your reasoning. Your "case" will be reviewed by the CPF staff and if deemed appropriate, we would like to provide you with your own sub-forum in the Custom Builders & Modders forum. And before you jump on this, let me tell you that you will be required to moderate your forum and enforce CPF's rules and policies. Of course, you will be given assistance by the CPF staff members and a certain amount of latitude will be allowed but for the most part, you will be expected to maintain civility within the forum. *Added for clarification: Custom Builders & Modders are not required to have their own sub-forum just because they meet the above criteria!! It is simply an option that is being offered if you want it. If you don't have your own sub-forum, you are free to use the main Custom Builders & Modders forum. ALSO... there is no mandatory fee at this time for having your own sub-forum. There may be one at a later time... (don't panic, it will be cheap!)... however, at this time I would ask that if you do choose to have your own sub-forum, you maintain some sort of supporter subscription (they are as inexpensive as $2.50/month right now).

For All Manufacturers who fit the description above

You may NOT sell your products on CPF proper or post any kind of sales thread whatsoever within it's forums. You MAY however, start discussion and input threads in the appropriate forum(s) on CPF proper. If the thread turns into a sales thread, you will be advised to move the sale over to the Manufacturer's Corner at the MarketPlace. A member of the CPF staff will help you if necessary. All CPF/CPFMP members may now start threads in the Manufacturer's Corner to ask questions and/or start discussions. Manufacturers will need to have an Authorized Manufacturer designation in order to sell their products there. Manufacturers who start sales threads without the proper designation will have their sales thread(s) soft-deleted (removed from view) until the issue is resolved. Then it will be restored so that you may continue your business. This will be on the honor system, guys and gals and the CPF/CPFMP staff will welcome your assistance in monitoring.

If you are a Manufacturer and would like to have your own sub-forum in the Manufacturer's Corner at the MarketPlace, please email or PM me with your request.

For All Dealers who fit the description above

You may NOT sell your products on CPF proper or post any kind of sales thread whatsoever within it's forums. Discussion threads can take place in the Dealer's Corner at the MarketPlace. All CPF/CPFMP members may now start threads in the Dealer's Corner to ask questions and/or start discussions. Dealers will need to have an Authorized Dealer designation in order to sell their products there. Dealers who start sales threads without the proper designation will have their sales thread(s) soft-deleted (removed from view) until the issue is resolved. Then it will be restored so that you may continue your business. This will be on the honor system, guys and gals and the CPF/CPFMP staff will welcome your assistance in monitoring.

If you are a Dealer and would like to have your own sub-forum in the Dealer's Corner at the MarketPlace, please email or PM me with your request.

FOR ALL CPF MEMBERS!!!!

I realize that the rules keep changing and it is difficult to keep up but we are trying our best through trial and error to make things as comfortable and organized as possible for all members.

As of this post, the Manufacturer's Corner and Dealer's Corner at the MarketPlace will be open for all members to start new threads. This way, you all will be able to ask questions and discuss products with the Manufacturers and Dealers. This means that the software will not be automatically restricting non-authorized dealers and manufacturers from starting sales threads. The CPF/CPFMP staff would greatly appreciate your assistance in monitoring this. If you see a non-authorized dealer or manufacturer starting a sales thread, please click on the the little "caution" sign at the top right of the post (the mouseover text will say "Report Post") and the appropriate moderator will be alerted. Please do not send me an email or PM to alert me to such things. I can't always get to them in a timely manner.

As far as the current Member/Dealer/Manufacturer Interactive Forum... well... it should be closed at this point as those types threads will now be allowed in the regular forums (as long as it's the appropriate regular forum) and/or in the appropriate forums at the MarketPlace. So... what do you all think? What should I do with the threads that are in that forum now?

Ok... so let's have it... is this gonna work?
    Last edited by Greta; 08-23-2007 at 05:27 PM.

Default Re: ATTN: ALL DEALERS & MANUFACTURERS!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sasha View Post
    As far as the current Member/Dealer/Manufacturer Interactive Forum... well... it should be closed at this point as those types threads will now be allowed in the regular forums (as long as it's the appropriate regular forum) and/or in the appropriate forums at the MarketPlace. So... what do you all think? What should I do with the threads that are in that forum now?

Ok... so let's have it... is this gonna work?
    Can you lock the forum so no new threads are created, but allow current threads to run? Either give current threads a week to die and lock them all, or wait until a thread has no response for (say) one day, then lock it.

As to the second question - I hope it works. I'd like to see a manufacturer be able to ask for feedback in a general forum rather than his/her smaller forum. One example that comes to mind was a dealer asking about a change to a UI - even folks who don't follow the dealer or own his lights might have good input.

Best wishes, and let us know what we can do to help!

(Yeah, I know, RTFS... Read the Friendly Stickies)
    Currently Swamped - use email to contact me.
    Using the Internet to deliver useful information and downright nonsense since 1980.

Quote Originally Posted by sysadmn View Post
    (Yeah, I know, RTFS... Read the Friendly Stickies)
    Yeah... that would be a GREAT help!

*Flashaholic*

looks like steps in the right direction!

sure would be nice if ALL sales could be back in one place... CPFMP

Sasha,

Just to be sure that I have this correctly, let me state what I think the rules are in my case:

OK. I'm defiitely not a manufacturer or dealer. I'm a (sometime) custom builder and modder, BUT, I don't want, nor should I be allowed, my own sub-forum because my output is sporadic and unreliable. Sometimes I have custom stuff for sale, other times I don't. Sometimes people PM me with requests and I oblige them, other times I say I can't right now.

So . . . after reviewing the custom and modders B/S/T thread policies again, and reading the above, I think that I am allowed to make custom items and post them for sale in the modders B/S/T forum of CPF, without being obligated to give CPF a cut, or pay for any kind of sellers subscription in order to post the sales thread (because I am the originator of the modded/custom item(s) ). However, I don't need to apply to get my own sub-forum.

Is this correct?

As for your question "is this gonna work", I really can't see why not. It seems eminently reasonable and workable to me.
    -Jim Sexton, creator of the M6-R, the TigerLight Upgrades, Fixture-ring lamp potting, the SL60, co-designer of the B90 Upgrade, and proponent of the SF A2, the SF M6 X-LOLA, Titanium, the Haiku, and the LunaSol 20

Jim... looks like you got it spot-on!

One thing I would like to add though... just because you don't have or want your own sub-forum in the Custom B&M forum doesn't mean you can't post in that forum... know what I mean? Like if you have something going that you're working on and want to discuss it or announce it or whatever, feel free to start a thread in the main forum... (CPF's Custom Builders & Modders)... and go from there! I guess I should have made that a little more clear, huh? I'll work on it...

Jim... looks like you got it spot-on!

One thing I would like to add though... just because you don't have or want your own sub-forum in the Custom B&M forum doesn't mean you can't post in that forum... know what I mean? Like if you have something going that you're working on and want to discuss it or announce it or whatever, feel free to start a thread in the main forum... (CPF's Custom Builders & Modders)... and go from there! I guess I should have made that a little more clear, huh? I'll work on it...
    How cool!

So . . . I'm guessing that a lot of the type of threads that are currently living in the homemade and modified lights forum should, and possibly WILL in the future be posted in the custom builders & modders forum? I'm thinking specifically of Milkyspits threads, or the "Knight Lights" threads used to market Milky's lights, like the Project-M thread that's near the top right now, for example. Or, for that matter, my own (non-active) threads for the TigerLight upgrades and M6-R and so on.

Those are maybe more appropriate for the custom builders and modders forum in the new configuration?

And the homemade and modified lights forum is more for those CPFers who are into making their own lights for their own use(s) but not so much about making a large number and selling them, right? So someone wondering about how to heat sink a cree or make a mag mod or share a neat way to make a custom LED light would start a thread in the homemade and modified lights forum, but someone developing a product and an interest/following in that product, with an eye towards a future sales thread, would post a thread in the builders and modders forum?

Or would it also be Kosher to post the development thread in the homemade and modified lights forum?

And I assume that sales threads would be posted in the B/S/T section regardless, with links to/from the developement/interest threads? Unless, of course, the modder/builder has his or her own sub-forum, like McGizmo, which would in that case contain its own sales thread within it?

Sorry to get all nitpicky! Just curious as to the exact protocols.
    -Jim Sexton, creator of the M6-R, the TigerLight Upgrades, Fixture-ring lamp potting, the SL60, co-designer of the B90 Upgrade, and proponent of the SF A2, the SF M6 X-LOLA, Titanium, the Haiku, and the LunaSol 20

Sasha,

I think this is a great idea, especially giving mod rights to those who have brought such joy through their innovative modding as the examples you mentioned. I don't see any down side as an ordinary user.

One thing I would recommend before giving their own section to a particular modder is like in JS's responses, see if they want that status, responsibility, and have the time. It might be weird if they fade away from this hobby (for whatever reason--think AWR) to have a "stranded" inactive forum section under their name.

It would be kind of cool to move all their previous sale threads to that one location, because since the revision and separation of the forums, it is so hard to find their old threads. If that won't work, maybe there could be a pinned topic in their section that gives a text description with link to whereever the thread is for their items. I would LOVE to have all of FiveMega (& Mac's) sales threads in one location.

+1......as a freshie here, I do find navigation very frustrating sometimes

eng hoe

Quote Originally Posted by LuxLuthor View Post
    Sasha,

It would be kind of cool to move all their previous sale threads to that one location, because since the revision and separation of the forums, it is so hard to find their old threads. If that won't work, maybe there could be a pinned topic in their section that gives a text description with link to whereever the thread is for their items. I would LOVE to have all of FiveMega (& Mac's) sales threads in one location.

Jim.... YES... to everything you posted! ... I'd say that you most definately have a very firm grasp on what my goal is... :

Lux... I'm not going to force anyone to have their own forum. However, if they ask me for one, yes there will be certain expectations and their request will be reviewed by the CPF staff before it is set up.

I think with this approach we found the way to go to satisfy all reasonable expectiations and it looks pretty logical, too. Let's just try and make it actually work
    There is a type of perfection that transcends the quest for lumens. Buying a $250 1-cell light for "lum factor" is like buying a $250 single malt Scotch for the alcohol content.
    - paulr

It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
    My shoes are too tight. But it doesn't matter, because I have forgotten how to dance.

This seems like just the kind of fine-tuning that the split needs to make it work for everyone.

Thanks for your efforts Sasha!
    Hopefully this will erase some of the bad karma that has built up in the past few weeks at CPF.
    My question is this: If for example I want to talk about a LED light that comes from DX or kai or whoever, with other MEMBERS (I dont want to talk to the DEALER, as you say above) (note: its a DISCUSSION, which has nothing do with SALES, as I am just a member here), where do I post this? Imagine I ask for opinions, advice or how to fix this or that etc. Does this go in LED in CPF, or in the appropriate section in CPFMP? The recent VB16 situation is a good example of my question.
    Also if for example someone has a question about an Ultrafire C3 or C2 or whatever, which can come from three (or more) seperate dealers, where does this post go, if it is to be in the MP? The dealer from which it was purchased has no relevance to his question, so which dealer does he pick?
    If we are to post these in MP, then what happens to LED section of CPF? Is that just gonna end up being for surefires and the like?
    I am sure many memebrs who have had their posts closed, or have refrained from posting recently would appreciate your clarification.
    Last edited by Mash; 08-22-2007 at 07:30 PM.

Mash,

the Manufacturer's Corner and Dealer's Corner at the MarketPlace will be open for all members to start new threads. This way, you all will be able to ask questions and discuss products with the Manufacturers and Dealers.

As far as the current Member/Dealer/Manufacturer Interactive Forum... well... it should be closed at this point as those types threads will now be allowed in the regular forums (as long as it's the appropriate regular forum) and/or in the appropriate forums at the MarketPlace.

Those two quotes from my original post should answer all of your questions...

The fine line between casual modders and full-time modders will have to be set. I organized my first paid mod of someone's ProPoly through PM and email a couple months ago, and I am afraid that If I would do it a couple more times, I will have to start paying. I understand if I do not want my own section (which because of my occasional modding would be silly anyway). I enjoy modding lights for myself, and I think I would enjoy modding a light for a stranger or two who found me with CPF occasionally. Nothing serious. Just whatever is asked via email or PM. I do not want to have to pay monthly fees and move anything to the CPFM for such a case. If this is required, I might have to make things more personal (via a very small website or something).

I do appreciate it if things are getting cleaned up and tuned better. It seems like after the server change and the CPFM was created, the CPF was literally turned upside down and it wasn't the super-friendly place to visit (and navigate). Things just got too complicated, compared to what CPF used to be (I understand the creation of the CPFM, though). I hope categories within the CPF get cleaned up. I just discovered the "Beyond Flashlights > LED" area for myself. It has stuff I have been looking for. Good luck adding the additional rules. It will make things even take longer to get used to.

-Tony

Gryloc... you are making things WAY too complicated... Read my first post in this thread. It is all very clear... and very simple. Not at all as complicated or unorganized as your post would imply...

This all seems to make sense to me... admittedly I'm still trying to get my hands around the details. As to whether I might want my own custom modder subforum, it is something I've given some thought, and am trying to weigh the benefits and responsibilities involved. At the moment I'm inclined to think it would be a good thing, in that it's not uncommon to get comments about my mods being hard to track down as they're presently scattered around CPF.

Stepping back a bit, I do want to thank you, Sasha, as well as all the other admins and behind the scenes folks who have contributed to making this happen... it's clearly something that's been well-thought-out. Thanks all!
    --Scott

Mash,

Those two quotes from my original post should answer all of your questions...
    Thanks for your reply.
    As you say above in the first post (sorry quotes in quotes not working for me!):
    This way, you all will be able to ask questions and discuss products with the Manufacturers and Dealers.

Which is why I mentioned previously:
    talk about a LED light that comes from ~~ with other MEMBERS (I dont want to talk to the DEALER, as you say above)
    ---------------
    So I am still not %100 clear about this, however if I understand you correctly below, things can be clearer.

Reading your second quote I presume we are back to the goooood old peaceful days, and we can discuss lights, no matter where they are sourced from, in the relevant subforums of CPF, such as incan, led, genreal etc etc.
    If yes then I am a happy bunny!

And the last finniky question:
    Where do we post a heads up for new items for others to see? all in MP? are they allowed in relevant sections of CPF?
    Last edited by Mash; 08-22-2007 at 08:03 PM.

Actually, I want to add a few questions. I have similar questions that Mash had, but your response did not seem to make me feel satisfied. It seems more confusing. If I would happen to have the forbidden two letters "DX" in a thread title or a post, where I ask a general question about whether the Cree on a star will fit in my light (a noob question I know -just an example), then will my thread be closed and moved to CPFM? What if I do not need a response from any dealer, just from an experienced modder? This will take away from the "general" discussion of LED lights and LED modding, and my question asked, as well as any insightful answers, will be scrambled up between the CPF and CPFM.

Now, how does it make you feel if I have to post a link to that exact product just as a pointer as to what I am talking about? Would the thread get closed quicker if I made a reference to "DX" over a reference to a product from the friendly little LEDSUPPLY.com? I have absolutely NO intentions on promoting sales, or even asking for help from the dealer (as some dealers are "salesmen" sometimes and not as knowledgeable about details of products they sell, like Kyle from DX for example). I may want advice from an independent source like evan9162. You know what I mean?

I was very scared when I made a post asking about a light meter sold from one of these stores (due to the cursed two letters). This was a light meter that very few aver talked about and many have been dying to ask similar questions. It ended up being a very informative thread. I hope it stays "fear-free" like this. Thanks...

-Tony

BTW, I do not mean to bring up any touchy feelings with DX if there aren't any. It just seems like many of the closed threads are based of those two similar Internet shops. I am mostly questioning the entire concept. This may apply for someone mentioning a certain German internet shop. There are no dealers here to answer questions, so we have to build knowledge based off other members.

Oh, and sorry if this isn't "clear". It just seems like the rule isn't defined enough to clearly define what a "modder" is. I will try re-reading it again to see...
    Last edited by Gryloc; 08-22-2007 at 08:10 PM. Reason: additional stuff

Where do we post a heads up for new items for others to see? all in MP?
    It depends. There is a forum at the MarketPlace called "Good Deals". At the top of that forum index is an Announcement thread with the policies of that forum. I think that will answer your question...

Guys and Gals... I'm not trying to be difficult here. But I do think it's time that everyone learn to find the forum policies that HAVE been posted around and to READ them. It really will make things alot easier and smoother for everyone... trust me on this one... ok? And yes, I know some of them are a little out-dated... that is being worked on. For the most part though, I'd say that you'll know which ones apply and which ones need to be updated.

Thanks everyone...

Those were just some current concerned and observations. I haven't been up to date on all these new rules and stuff. I just understand the basics. I will read up on all the new rules when I get more time (it's the end of the quarter -approaching finals -little sleep). I will try to stop asking questions until I read things and understand them more clearly. Sorry.

-Tony

Hello again, and thanks!
    I hate to look like the nitpicker, but my questions have arisen from actual events here, and by volunteering myself as the annoying one, I hope to make things clearer for others, and better for CPF in general! The martyr that I am!
    For the record, I am positive you are not being difficult, merely trying to deal with a difficult situation. The success of CPF, and it being a pleasant place to be, is the reason why I partake in this discussion rather than just lurk and ignore it. And also the reason why I address you directly rather than get involved in snide remarks/hints on other threads.

Whatever the motivation and the reasoning behind the introduction of these new rules were, it has led us here.
    If I remember correctly, one of my threads was the first one to be modified (URLs deleted) and locked, due to this new rules/policies, back in June. And in discussions with you here I unfortunately correctly predicted the resultant impending problems (although even I was optimistic in my predictions as it turned out).

From that point on we had many bizarre episodes of threads being selectively (in regards to the source) moved/closed (none by yourself, IIRC) with various "interesting" reasons such as:

being labelled "sales" threads, (majority if not all had nothing to do with sales)

to paraphrase: "people can check websites for themselves no discussion is neccessary", (Everyone can check the Surefire website too??)

"joint shopping experiences", (particularly difficult to understand that one, but perhaps most threads at CPF?)

threads being moved from one forum to another, then immediately being closed as inappropirate to that forum

threads discussing items which had nothing with price or dealworthiness of that item being moved to "good deals"
    etc..

This understandably led to confusion, some "bad karma" as I put it, and I dare say some loss in exchange of information, as posts were closed, and people refrained from posting, not knowing what would happen.
    Which led to the present situation and your actions to address this, for which you are to applauded.
    We all enjoy spending time here, and appreciate the knowledge base to which we have access. So I personally, and from my observations the majority of CPF members generally, DO read and try to adhere to the policies presented to them.
    However these policies' concept and application also needs to realistic, sensible and consistent, to prevent the reoccurence of the recent episodes. It is good to see that the policies are evolving with our realities and needs here.
    A quick read of many of the relevant threads and related questions/comments by other members, will bear witness to the facts above.
    Please consider these questions of mine as an effort to prevent a rerun, and my attempt to make CPF an even better place for us all. And I hope all your clarifications will make the future situation usefully clear for all CPF members.
    I wont take any more of your time, and leave it all in your capable hands! Thanks again for your efforts in providing this place for us.
    Last edited by Mash; 08-22-2007 at 09:38 PM.

Humm....

i dunno.

i have entertained a HIGHLY LIMITED idea of being what we would call a custom modder here on CPF -AS PER THE RULES -as are proposed now anyway...

what if a guy DOES NOT WANT his own forum, recognition and fees?

(say the slacker who makes something *now and then* for fun but wants to sell it and move it on?)

where is the bar set?

is there an exempion for - say peole in my case who might want to do VERY low volume, probably at cost+time (based on minimum wage?)

i propose an exemption: (as follows)

"Coustom Modders (as members as one person or as a body representing several{?} ) who make less than 12 insturments/lamps/flashlights/devices/accessories PER YEAR (equals to LESS THAN one unit per month OR less than 11 devices PER YEAR) that wish to sell their creations to the community; be treated EXCLUSIVELY as *regular members/casual modders* So long as the value of each object does not exceed $99 in the hands of the buyer OR AT STAFF DISCRETION $1089 per year total transactions. (Prices set by time@minimum wage+materials) "

{raises the question of a yearly $1000 dollar light?}

(or perhaps "casual modder" catagory - see: below)

sound good?

that enables the little guy to share a fun creation now and then and not take a hit, and not be forced to play the major leagues.

perhaps a creation of a distinction for the exemption enables a "casual modder catagory" to seperate (as would be before) member [who does a few cool things a year and sells them] from true modder?

it would allso encourage sharing, but not at the expense of anyone in the community, BUT not at the real profit of anyone either. community sorts of stuff.

the "casual modder" distinction - but as an otherwise normal member?

orionlion... please read all of the posts in this thread. Your "proposal" has already been addressed...

Alright everyone... I'm going to spend some time with that strange guy who is sitting on my couch. I've been looking at the back of his head for a couple of nights now... I think I'll go see what his face looks like...

I have received a whole bunch of emails and PM's and I have posted all of them for the rest of the CPF staff to look at. I'll get back to all of you sometime tomorrow.

Thanks everyone! ... and good night Gracie...

Mash, you're giving a great deal of discussion and attention to a very small part of the announcement that has been made here. In fact, you appear to be exploiting the thread in order to counter our rules against complaining about moderation. There are methods of discussing or registering disagreement in moderator actions, and it doesn't include hijacking an announcement thread in order to do so. I use the term "hijack" rather loosely, since I don't think that is your intention, but the effect has been, and is, to remove focus from the purpose of this announcement thread in order to complain of your disagreement to what has occurred previously.

You may not like the answer, but if threads in CPF amount to a "joint shopping trip" to any particular dealer's website, or even a printed catalog, with new individual threads being created to show each newly discovered page or product, regardless of who's website it may be, then that thread will be closed. The only area in which anything similar would be permitted would be the "Good Deals" forum in the MarketPlace.

Please do not use this thread in order to emphasise that you do not agree with our past determinations of which DX threads constitute a "joint shopping experience", or overly "shill" appearing. Some of those threads have even had referrer codes removed from the links. There is no way that many of those threads can be thought of as anything other than opportunities for DX customers to increase their "points" by posting referrer links.

If there's disagreement which you insist must be discussed publicly, then create a thread in the Underground. It's becoming disruptive to an otherwise important announcement thread.
    Last edited by Empath; 08-23-2007 at 08:19 PM. Reason: changed a "you" to a "you're"

Flashaholic*

As a member (student of light and consumer) I appreciate the efforts to make CPF a better place. The growth issues in this forum require this kind of attention.

With all due respect and in the spirit of making CPF a better place..... And seeing how you are making positive changes.... Would it be a good time to do a little "House Cleaning"?

I would like to see the AWR/Dspeck like sellers off this site. These people that collect money and don't deliver are thief's. Even the dead beat sellers that take far to long are stealing. In most cases we are buying "intellectual property" and "current techology" that has a very short shelf life.

Do modders and sellers need to conform to certain "code or guideline" ?

Thanks, frisco
    Last edited by frisco; 08-22-2007 at 10:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Empath View Post
    Mash, you giving a great deal of discussion and attention to a very small part of the announcement that has been made here. In fact, you appear to be exploiting the thread in order to counter our rules against complaining about moderation. There are methods of discussing or registering disagreement in moderator actions, and it doesn't include hijacking an announcement thread in order to do so. I use the term "hijack" rather loosely, since I don't think that is your intention, but the effect has been, and is, to remove focus from the purpose of this announcement thread in order to complain of your disagreement to what has occurred previously.

You may not like the answer, but if threads in CPF amount to a "joint shopping trip" to any particular dealer's website, or even a printed catalog, with new individual threads being created to show each newly discovered page or product, regardless of who's website it may be, then that thread will be closed. The only area in which anything similar would be permitted would be the "Good Deals" forum in the MarketPlace.

Please do not use this thread in order to emphasise that you do not agree with our past determinations of which DX threads constitute a "joint shopping experience", or overly "shill" appearing. Some of those threads have even had referrer codes removed from the links. There is no way that many of those threads can be thought of as anything other than opportunities for DX customers to increase their "points" by posting referrer links.

If there's disagreement which you insist must be discussed publicly, then create a thread in the Underground. It's becoming disruptive to an otherwise important announcement thread.
    Empath, thank you for your reply!
    I have no intention or need of examining or questioning the moderators action. In this period I knew what the situation/rules were, and observed these rules.
    At the very beggining when the new rules were introduced, I explained my questions publicly, and also my prediction of what the new circumstances would lead to, which are clearly time stamped for all to see.
    As to me bringing attention to this "very small part of the announcement ", since I am not a manufacturer or a dealer, or a custom modder, I am reffering to the part that relates to me(and many CPF members) directly, ie what we can talk about, and where we should do it. By seeking clarifications on these new rules i am trying to prevent a repeat of this kind of episode in the future, for all of CPF.
    My post also WAS NOT a complaint. I believe it is directly involved with the purpose of this announcement. It is firstly a thank you for the new rules (which reflect that the need for them was present), and secondly a request for information and clarification of these new rules, so me and others know what to post where, so we dont get on the same merry go around again.
    The examples I provided were there to demonstrate how and where the problems and confusion had been in the past, and how by clarification of new rules and their application we can avoid their repeat.
    I have nothing to gain but great information, and a sense of happines while visiting CPF. Thats why I try to do what I can to clarify things for me and others.
    I will not add anything further to this thread, so as not to create more questions regarding my intentions, or be seen to divert this thread.
    THank you for reading!
    Last edited by Mash; 08-22-2007 at 11:20 PM.

I have added the following to my original post:

*Added for clarification: Custom Builders & Modders are not required to have their own sub-forum just because they meet the above criteria!! It is simply an option that is being offered if you want it. If you don't have your own sub-forum, you are free to use the main Custom Builders & Modders forum. ALSO... there is no mandatory fee at this time for having your own sub-forum. There may be one at a later time... (don't panic, it will be cheap!)... however, at this time I would ask that if you do choose to have your own sub-forum, you maintain some sort of supporter subscription (they are as inexpensive as $2.50/month right now).

I'm not a dealer, manufacturer, custom builder or modder. I just read about, buy, use, and write about lights. When I started reading this thread and saw some of the reactions, I thought this rule might be bad for non sellers like me. Then I re-read the last two paragraphs of the 1st post in this thread and saw that this actually increases the flexibility of where users like me can post and read posts about the newest coolest lights of the moment.
    Last edited by Art Vandelay; 08-23-2007 at 06:30 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast