Help with E2L Cree!!!

J

jcompton

I just recently purchased an E2L Cree and after seeing the regulated runtime with the AW 17670 Li-Ion batteries :wow: I am now considering the purchase of a couple of the rechargeables along with a charger and whatever else would be necessary to keep a setup like this running.

I am new to the world of high-output torch lights and the only other light of this caliber that I own is a U2 Ultra, but that has only seen primaries. I also own a few MagLights that I have seemingly had forever: 3-D cell, 6-D cell and a couple of the little AAA and (2x) AA ones. All the MagLights are being used as shipped from the factory w/ no mods. I know very little about the rechargeables and what equipment is necessary to keep them running efficiently for a long period of time.

I have been searching the forum for all the information I can find regarding this topic but the search button seems to only allow one word searches???:shrug:

It is my understanding that the E2L body that ships with the KX2 head will not allow the protected AW 17670 batteries to fit, and require some boring. Rather than bore out the body I was wondering if the body of the previous E2L (shipped with KL1 head) would allow the protected 17670 to fit without any modification to the battery or body. Removing a sticker is ok, but I would rather not use sand paper on the battery to avoid boring the body.

Another reason I would rather not bore out the body of the E2L is for warrantee purposes, but I would purchase another body, to keep my serialized one intact, and if need be I would bore out the extra one. I have found an individual who is looking to get rid of an older E2L body and if someone could measure the diameter of an AW Protected 17670 at its widest point (where the seems overlap), I would then be able to have the current owner measure the body and have confirmation prior to purchase.

Any recommendations/suggestions pertaining to this setup and the equipment that I would need to purchase...batteries, charger...etc. would be greatly appreciated. I am also not opposed to purchasing a set of rechargeables for the U2 if this works out well, and would like a charger that can be used with a wide variety of batteries if one such charger exists.

Thanks,
John

WildChild

Flashlight Enthusiast
I also have a E2L and yes, that's sad the body is not wide enough for 17670. Like you, I don't want to bore mine. Yet, I'm satisfied with the 9h flat regulation on primaries. I used it a lot in the last 3 weeks and I'm still on the first set of batteries! I bought 16 CR123A with it so they will last for ages!!! Another solution is to use 14670 with a flat regulation of 2 hours then 2 more hours down to 50%. Then the last solution I would probably use is RCR123A. They are known to fit in the E2L and someone tested the head up to 9V (3xCR123A) without any ill effect (the light was as bright, runtime was higher). I think I've read somewhere that someone got 3 hours of flat regulation with 3V protected cells before they shut down. But as I said, I'm satisfied with primaries. My situation is that I have a lot of other lights that use rechargeables. But this won't stop me to EDC it since it's small and light enough to fit in pockets! ;)

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Welcome to CPF. A lot of us are finding that Google Search-CPF Only, at the top of every CPF page works very well, better than the Search function. Try it out.

I believe that the E2L body works ok with Li Ion rechargeables. You can bore out the body of the E2L Cree, but a better solution is purchasing another Surefire E series compatible body. I suspect that KX2 head will not work well with a single LiIon, 17670 in this case. The circuit seems to support a higher voltage such as 6-9 volts, though it will operate in regulation with a voltage above the vf of the individual Cree emiter not considering circuit losses. Allowing for circuit losses you will probably find that the KX2 will only regulate for a short time with a fully charged 17670, which would be about 4.2 volts. Using two RCR123's (3.7-4.2 volts X2) would work.

Never consider sandpapering a battery to fit. A battery should always have a non conductive covering. Some batteries do have double covers, so removing one is ok.

There are many LiIon charger solutions out there. Research CPF.

If your U2 is an older version it might be able to fit an 18650 LiIon.

Bill