Foxfury Breakthrough

Thread: S27-PD?

Hybrid View

Default S27-PD?

I have a quick question (Please no tongue lashings). I'm just curious and worried that I'm missing out on something great. The S27-PD seems to sell out rediculously fast when they are available. Why? What makes them so great etc? This is purely for my curiousity, not a knock on Don's light. I just want to see if I should be paying more attention and try to catch one of the waves now that I have my Mule coming.

Thanks,

Nick

The Southland with a RedBull in one hand and iPhone in the other

Default Re: S27-PD?

its basically a Ti PD-s with a larger head and more throw. some like the look of it over the Ti PD-s but from a usability standpoint the 20mm reflector in the ti pd-s is the best set up for most people, and its easier to carry in a pocket.
    And Teeming With Souls Shall It Ever Be.
    NOTICE: I'm a guy. Im to poor to buy cheap.
    Aeon- Smaller, Brighter, Better...

**Do Not Feed The Vegan**

Hi Nick,

The S27-PD is very similar to Don's infamously awesome McLuxIII-PD (and all of its variants), but it has the McR-27L-S reflector on it, which gives the hotspot more throw.

It ultimately comes down to personal preference (and usage) if you prefer the 27L reflector or the PD's 20mm reflector, or no reflector at all with the Mule!

Either way, the S27-PD is worth checkin' out - it's a big ol' chunk of Ti, and the machining is awesome.

john

EDIT: Mossy got to you before I was finished typing, but we said basically the same thing... apparently it just took me longer!

X3 on what's already been said. If you value throw over flood in a compact light, the S27-PD is the ticket. And, while the S27-PD is not pocket-unfriendly in my khaki pants, the Ti-PD-S and Ti-Mule-PD rule that nest.

I would have a tough time deciding which I'd prefer without having both in hand.
    Ray
    Good people need to be there for each other. It's the only way to stay sane in a sometimes insane world.

I hate to say it, but it doesn't sound like the light for me. I much prefer flood/spill in a light over a tight spot. Oh well. Thanks for the info.

Nick

Nick,

A larger head can sometimes do this but not in the case of the S27-PD. I build my own 30mm alum head to go on a PD body (S30-PD). Mounting a Seoul P4 in it and modding the 27mm reflector to fit. It's very floody with a great amount of spill. I love the extra weight of the head and clip it to my pocket (head inside) for carry. It gets rotated with my Al-PDs and my Ti-PDs for EDC. Kinda fun light and gets a lota looks. I'm with ya.

I'm still looking forward to a S27PD as well though.

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by nmiller View Post
    I hate to say it, but it doesn't sound like the light for me. I much prefer flood/spill in a light over a tight spot. Oh well. Thanks for the info.

Nick
    HDS EDC 60 Ultimate, Mac's Tri-EDC

Banned

Hi Ken, can you post a picture of your S30PD and i thought you had a S27PD already.
    Quote Originally Posted by KenAnderson View Post
    Nick,

A larger head can sometimes do this but not in the case of the S27-PD. I build my own 30mm alum head to go on a PD body (S30-PD). Mounting a Seoul P4 in it and modding the 27mm reflector to fit. It's very floody with a great amount of spill. I love the extra weight of the head and clip it to my pocket (head inside) for carry. It gets rotated with my Al-PDs and my Ti-PDs for EDC. Kinda fun light and gets a lota looks. I'm with ya.

I'm still looking forward to a S27PD as well though.

Ken

Banned

I do not think the trade of carrying a bigger head is worth the extra throw.

Quote Originally Posted by greenstuffs View Post
    I do not think the trade of carrying a bigger head is worth the extra throw.
    Green,

I've kinda enjoyed carrying my S30-PD (custom head on a PD). It weighs more and is larger, but still feels good to carry. It hasn't replaced my PDs but is in the EDC rotation now.

Ken
    HDS EDC 60 Ultimate, Mac's Tri-EDC