• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

S27-PD?

nmiller

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a quick question (Please no tongue lashings). I'm just curious and worried that I'm missing out on something great. The S27-PD seems to sell out rediculously fast when they are available. Why? What makes them so great etc? This is purely for my curiousity, not a knock on Don's light. I just want to see if I should be paying more attention and try to catch one of the waves now that I have my Mule coming.

Thanks,

Nick

jch79

**Do Not Feed The Vegan**,
Hi Nick,

The S27-PD is very similar to Don's infamously awesome :nana: McLuxIII-PD (and all of its variants), but it has the McR-27L-S reflector on it, which gives the hotspot more throw.

It ultimately comes down to personal preference (and usage) if you prefer the 27L reflector or the PD's 20mm reflector, or no reflector at all with the Mule! :grin2:

Either way, the S27-PD is worth checkin' out - it's a big ol' chunk of Ti, and the machining is awesome. :thumbsup:

john

EDIT: Mossy got to you before I was finished typing, but we said basically the same thing... apparently it just took me longer! :)

Codeman

Flashlight Enthusiast
X3 on what's already been said. If you value throw over flood in a compact light, the S27-PD is the ticket. And, while the S27-PD is not pocket-unfriendly in my khaki pants, the Ti-PD-S and Ti-Mule-PD rule that nest.

I would have a tough time deciding which I'd prefer without having both in hand.

KenAnderson

Enlightened
Nick,

A larger head can sometimes do this but not in the case of the S27-PD. I build my own 30mm alum head to go on a PD body (S30-PD). Mounting a Seoul P4 in it and modding the 27mm reflector to fit. It's very floody with a great amount of spill. I love the extra weight of the head and clip it to my pocket (head inside) for carry. It gets rotated with my Al-PDs and my Ti-PDs for EDC. Kinda fun light and gets a lota looks. I'm with ya.

I'm still looking forward to a S27PD as well though.

Ken

I hate to say it, but it doesn't sound like the light for me. I much prefer flood/spill in a light over a tight spot. Oh well. Thanks for the info.

Nick

greenstuffs

Banned
Hi Ken, can you post a picture of your S30PD and i thought you had a S27PD already. :thumbsup:
Nick,

A larger head can sometimes do this but not in the case of the S27-PD. I build my own 30mm alum head to go on a PD body (S30-PD). Mounting a Seoul P4 in it and modding the 27mm reflector to fit. It's very floody with a great amount of spill. I love the extra weight of the head and clip it to my pocket (head inside) for carry. It gets rotated with my Al-PDs and my Ti-PDs for EDC. Kinda fun light and gets a lota looks. I'm with ya.

I'm still looking forward to a S27PD as well though.

Ken

KenAnderson

Enlightened
I do not think the trade of carrying a bigger head is worth the extra throw.

Green,

I've kinda enjoyed carrying my S30-PD (custom head on a PD). It weighs more and is larger, but still feels good to carry. It hasn't replaced my PDs but is in the EDC rotation now.

Ken

KenAnderson

Enlightened
Hi Ken, can you post a picture of your S30PD and i thought you had a S27PD already. :thumbsup:

I'll post a pic of the S30-PD tonight. Ah...it's hard to believe but I am the proud owner of a shiney new S27-PD. I can't wait to get see it and compare it to my S30-PD. Oh, I was trying to think of a name for my S30-PD and "Mule" was already taken, so I'm just going to call it Mutt.

Mutt - A blend of Al PD and custom 30mm head. Unlike Mule which is a work animal, Mutt just sits around taking up space and goes for the occasional walk. Mutt isn't too pretty at first but he grows on ya.

:D

Last edited:

KenAnderson

Enlightened
Ok, see what you guys think of the Mutt. Mounted on my Slate PD body and shown with HA Natural BD. The head is a 27LT design but 3mm larger bezel so the stock 27mm bezels don't fit.

mutt (mŭt)
pron.gif

n. Informal.
  1. A mongrel dog.
apr07013gh3.jpg

apr07012uz4.jpg

apr07011yw0.jpg

apr07010ed6.jpg

apr07009we4.jpg

luxlunatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
That is a good looking mutt Ken, nice work!

I too am a big fan of the S27-PD, the extra size does not bother me and the beam is excellent, great throw with plenty of spill. Although I have not caught a Ti wave of a S27, I am one of the lucky few with a Al version and it is in the EDC rotation, tough to leave it at home actually. The silky smooth Al threads with the 27 head make one handed op a breeze!

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Ken ... :thumbsup: .. that looks like it will survive the heaviest abuse. Nice !

Nick ... The larger reflector does not only make the spot hotter, but it also concentrates the spill and makes it smaller in diameter and stronger, so that it will throw further ... thus enhancing your field of vision well beyond the scope of a normally wide and pale spill.
This is ver useful.
That said ... I prefer the classic PD, too, for the form factor in the pocket.

Corona and spill management are very important, and those reflectors were a huge step forward.

All shots with same drive current and flux bib but different LEDs, so the lottery still applies.

McR27L (like in S27)
27LT.jpg

McR20 (like in classic PD)
Aleph2DB917UV1J.jpg

Aleph1 (27mm, shallower)
Aleph1DB917UV1J.jpg

And here is a shot with the spot blocked. You will notice the interesting corona management and spill concentration.

bwcomparo.jpg

bernie

KenAnderson

Enlightened
Thank guys, the Mutt is definately growing on me. Took it for a walk last night and it did well chasing away the shadows.

Lux, I too love the aluminum versions for their smoothness. The larger head is bulky to EDC, but I find myself doing it because I really like the feel in the hand. The larger head also allows the 27PD to clip inside a pants pocket and hang down with little chance of loss. An advantage is the glass picks up less dust.

Nick, told you the Mutt grows on ya :thumbsup:

Green, I kept Mutt silver so it can go on any body regardless of color. Oh, thanks again for snagging the S27PD for me. Can't wait to see it.

Kiessling, heavy? oh yes...Mutt has a thick impact resistant front glass and double O rings. Just feels very solid in the hand. It's weird how a light with some mass feels so good in the hand carry.

The Mutt has a corona larger then my PDs and a much greater spill. Likely due to a reflector that is shallower than the S27PD.

Ken