GITD Tent Pegs!

RadarGreg

Enlightened
For all of you GITD lovers out there, I found a package of glow in the dark tent pegs at Wal-Mart last week. The pegs are plastic, about 5 or 6 inches long and cost around $5 for a package of six. They glow suprisingly well and with a good initial charge, they glow about as well as a chemlight. The intensity drops off after that, but even after several hours, they still do glow well enough to be useful. I've set the package of them on the night stand next to my bed, and after four or five hours, they still glow well enough to be used as emergency lighting.

The GITD pegs can be found in the camping section of Wal-Mart and are of a standard, triangular peg shape with a hook at the top to attach a guy wire or shock cord. Of course, after you pound them into the ground, you will only be able to see the top of the peg, but I think it would be useful for camping so you don't trip over your tent pegs and may be useful if you need to break camp in the night. Personally, I think I'd carry around a pack just for the cool and/or geek factor of them and to be used as a reusable chemlight. I will also try to post of picture of the packaging and maybe a "beam shot".

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't ever use my tent stakes, I usually just leave them home. However, these stakes must have alternate uses for the creative. How about some glowing spikes for your bike helmet?

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
smilie_vampire.gif
Dracula laughs at your silly tent stakes!! Arrghh!!

RadarGreg

Enlightened
It is a tragedy that, unfortunately, the media has glossed over. It is statistically proven that 1 in 200 campers will trip over their tent pegs at least once in their lifetime. If the camper is also a flashaholic, the odds go up to 1 in 7 that after burning out your retinas showing off your newest flashlight acquisition, you will trip over the unseen hazard. Glow in the dark tenk pegs not only save lives, they save "cool points" too.;)