Would anybody else buy a 2AA Spy?

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
That would be what I am really looking for. The problem with most 2AA lights is they are too long for EDC. At least 5.5" usually. A 2AA spy would be only 3/4" longer than the current spy, and thinner as well. That would make it more pocketable than the ever popular PD and HDS. A 4 pack of eneloops and decent charger would supply all the power you need.

Too bad data would need to develop a whole new boost driver.

Spy008 anybody?
:popcorn:

jch79

**Do Not Feed The Vegan**,
I'd be all over it, provided it could hand the voltage of 2xNiMH and 2x14500 Li-Ion. :thumbsup: However, with what people are doing with NiMH lately (like the TB AA light), Li-Ion wouldn't be as necessary.

It's a nice idea, however it might not be able to be much thinner, as the bezel/reflector would have to be smaller, and it could be limited by the size constraints of the electronics? :shrug:

Interesting thought nonetheless, Cave Dave.

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd be all over it, provided it could hand the voltage of 2xNiMH and 2x14500 Li-Ion.
That would require a buck & boost circuit with a range from 1.8v to 8.4v. That is fairly hard to implement. If I wanted to use LiIon I'd just stick with the SPY005 which handles LiIon just fine. That's how I'm using it, but it will cut out without warning. I think the capacity of a RCR123 and a 14500 are similar with a slight edge going to RCR123 so what would be the point of 14500 spy? :thinking:

jch79

**Do Not Feed The Vegan**,
That would require a buck & boost circuit with a range from 1.8v to 8.4v. That is fairly hard to implement. If I wanted to use LiIon I'd just stick with the SPY005 which handles LiIon just fine.

It was just a thought! ;) I did say that NiMH drivers are coming along, like the TB light I linked to, but having options is never a bad thing! :shrug:

I think the capacity of a RCR123 and a 14500 are similar with a slight edge going to RCR123 so what would be the point of 14500 spy? :thinking:

You're right, they have the same capacity - 750mAh. The point of the 14500 (AA) SPY is the same as the one of the benefits you mentioned above - a thinner, yet only slightly longer light. :thinking: :shrug: And, the electronics side of the light might be more feasible, as the voltage and current would be the exact same.

:) john

Kiessling

Flashaholic
No, I wouldn't.
Why ruin a top notch special light with an inferior powersource?
:nana:
bernie

havand

Enlightened
I had modelled up some quick stuff a while ago, but it kept ending up looking similar to a spy, so i scrapped it. I'm sure he could whip up something pretty sweet!

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast
No, I wouldn't.
Why ruin a top notch special light with an inferior powersource?
:nana:
bernie

I couldn't agree more!! I'm sure not against something new, heck, I'm all over dang near everything that comes out but, since I got my original Spy 005, I look to others in interest but not to EDC. The 123 format is fine by me. Why try to improve a classic?

Karl

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
I never considered it an improvement just an option.

My opinion is Li is not a superior power source but that discusion is for another thread. I like and use both. But then again I'd never buy a car that ran on premium.

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast
I guess as an option I wouldn't be opposed and probably would buy one--just can't resist it seems!:nana: I have grown so accustomed to my (current? original?) SPY though I just can't see a change. Not my call though, just an opinion.:)

Karl

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
With today's technolgogy 2hrs @ 130 lm (actual) is totally doable on 2 NiMh. By the time a 2AA Spy008 came out I think 150lm+ with a V bin P4 could be expected. Not to mention the 12 lumens for 60+ hrs on one of the lower levels.

That kind of performance would be fine in my book. As it stands the CR123 batteries in my SPY last a month or two unless I use it as a bike light.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
I'd buy a lot of things if I had the coin! Unfortunately a lot of us can only "window shop" or of course set a goal & save for it.

I'd like to see the original Spy!

But back to the answer...yes, I would be interested if I had the funds to spare!