What does "CR123A" mean?

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
I get it that "23A" means "two thirds of an A-sized cell", but what about the 1?
I thought maybe CR1 was a type of cell or something, but the other CR1 cylindrical cells I can find are CR13N (1/3 N) and CR12AA (1/2AA), with only two numbers.

Sinjz

Flashlight Enthusiast
One 2/3's of an A sized battery. There are also 223 batteries that have two 2/3 A sized batteies next to each other. Battery experts can confirm or correct it, but that's what I always thought. :)

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
The C stands for Can't
The R stands for Really
The A stads for Ask
Easy as 123 ... :eek:
So you Can't Really Ask without getting stupid answers like this. :crazy:
Seriously though - I don't think I ever pondered the CR designation - just accepted that's what some battery wiz chose for it. I'd guess SilverFox might know.
Or just a guess because these were used in CameRA's ?

Last edited:

FRANKVZ

Enlightened
From wikipedia: IEC CR# series: Denotes lithium-manganese dioxide chemistry. Since LiMnO2 cells produce 3 volts there are usually no alternate chemistries for a CR# coin battery.

Also the actual name: CR17354

Sinjz

Flashlight Enthusiast

lctorana

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: What was an "A" Cell?

An A cell is 17mm in diameter and 50 mm long. Only ever seen rechargeables, and 18500 Lions.
A B cell is 20mm in diameter and the same length as a D cell.
Only ever seen primary cells - and those only in the 4.5v "flat" cycle lamp battery. "BF" cells were about 35mm long and marketed by Eveready as the 927, or in pairs as the No8. A protected 18670 is a reasonable, if higher voltage, substitute for the latter.
C and D you know.
E cells were the same diameter as a D cell, but intermediate between a D and F cell in length. Again, only ever seen primary cells, were used in the Eveready 701 3v cycle lamp battery, and the English 126 4.5v battery.
Completely obsolete.
F cells are the same diameter as D, but about 90mm long. Primary cells used in lantern batteries, rechargeable cells are big enough to use as traction batteries. Oh how I wish they were cheaper.

MorePower

Enlightened
From wikipedia: IEC CR# series: Denotes lithium-manganese dioxide chemistry. Since LiMnO2 cells produce 3 volts there are usually no alternate chemistries for a CR# coin battery.

Also the actual name: CR17354

Li-Cfx coin cells are a valid replacement for almost any Li-MnO2 coin cell, and have a wider working temperature range.

Manzerick

Flashlight Enthusiast
:lolsign:

The C stands for Can't
The R stands for Really
The A stads for Ask
Easy as 123 ... :eek:
So you Can't Really Ask without getting stupid answers like this. :crazy:
Seriously though - I don't think I ever pondered the CR designation - just accepted that's what some battery wiz chose for it. I'd guess SilverFox might know.
Or just a guess because these were used in CameRA's ?

sysadmn

Enlightened
Between keyboard and chair, in the US Midwest.
Re: What was an "A" Cell?

An A cell is 17mm in diameter and 50 mm long. Only ever seen rechargeables, and 18500 Lions.
A B cell is 20mm in diameter and the same length as a D cell.
Only ever seen primary cells - and those only in the 4.5v "flat" cycle lamp battery. "BF" cells were about 35mm long and marketed by Eveready as the 927, or in pairs as the No8. A protected 18670 is a reasonable, if higher voltage, substitute for the latter.
C and D you know.
E cells were the same diameter as a D cell, but intermediate between a D and F cell in length. Again, only ever seen primary cells, were used in the Eveready 701 3v cycle lamp battery, and the English 126 4.5v battery.
Completely obsolete.
F cells are the same diameter as D, but about 90mm long. Primary cells used in lantern batteries, rechargeable cells are big enough to use as traction batteries. Oh how I wish they were cheaper.

What he said.
Wikipedia has more than you wanted to know.
Common uncommon battery sizes.
Obscure battery sizes.

sysadmn

Enlightened
Between keyboard and chair, in the US Midwest.

lctorana

Flashlight Enthusiast
Like I said, mate, I wish they were cheaper.

I would love seven or eight of these to make a rechargeable "Big Jim" battery, but the price scares me.

lctorana

Flashlight Enthusiast
Certainly. I would love to do exactly that, as 4F lantern batteries list here for A$13, minimum.

But - as you say, shipping is the killer. US online shops charge vast amounts of money for shipping.

However, it's the 7xF to fill an 8F lantern battery, with the extra space to hold a NTC and perhaps a headlight relay. That's what I want, but it may be an impossible dream.