Making a LS conversion...

Fusion

Newly Enlightened
Is there anyone who can teach me how to make a LS conversion. I want to use a Brinkmann Legand AA. I know there are pills for sell, but I want the satisfaction that I also made one myself. Can I buy most of the stuff from radio shack??
Thanks!

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
all you really need is a heatsink (a copper or aluminum disc of appropriate size will work), a luxeon star, and some arctic silver.

along with the obvious soldering iron, solder, and patience /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

once you get some heatsinks, drill two holes in them for the positive and negative lead (allowing enough room for the ls to fit between).

take the "pill out of the brinkman, and solder the negative and positive wires onto the heatsink where the bulb is supposed to go. (i soldered them on the back and poked them up the holes in the plastic "pill" and then insulated and secured them with epoxy)

plop the pill back into the body. (making sure that the negative "pin" is making contact with the body)

make sure the top rim of the brinkmann is very smooth (very fine sandpaper), and that the heatsink is smooth.

insert the two wires throught he holes of the heatsink, and bond the heatsink to the body using conductive epoxy. (i recommend arctic silver)

then epoxy the emitter in place on top of the heatsink, and solder the wires onto the leads of the led.

then, you can either use optics, or drill and sand the reflector to appropriate size. ( recommend optics, just pop them in the head.) (remove the top of the head, take out the reflcector, put the optic in, (if you can, put an appropriate sized o-ring on the outside lip of the optic between the lens and the optic))

that is pretty much all i can think of for now...

once you get all the parts, i think it will make sense to you and you can do it as you see fit /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

the only things you can get from rs are likely the wires, soldering iron, and solder. they don't have conductive epoxy in my rs...