Slimming down my EDC multitools/knives

MacTech

Enlightened
Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, Earth, USA, New England
I carry too much EDC gear, I'm over-equipped for my daily needs (better than being under-equipped, though), so I've been trying to slim down my EDC gear, removing backups of backups, and streamlining my gear

first step; slim down my choice of SAK

I have been EDC'ing a Vic SwissChamp in a belt holster, mainly for bragging rights, it's cool to have a "toolbox" SAK available, but I've realized, I don't even come close to using all of it's implements, I basically use the inline Phillips, the bottle opener, scissors and the blades, the magnifying lens is good to have as well

So, i've stepped down to the Vic Explorer, I think that may be the right EDC for me, the Vic pliers are basically useless for my purposes, they don't have the neccecary torque to loosen PowerMac G5 tower standoff screws, for that I need full-size pliers, as found in the SwissTool or full size Leatherman tools, and I've never used the saw, fish scaler, or file, they just add wasted space and unwanted weight, the Explorer's toolset seems to be ideal

I then added a Leatherman New Wave to my belt holster, to cover the plier angle, but i've also discovered that the blade set is perfectly servicable for EDC as well, no it's not as nice as my Übersteel Spydies, but it gets the job done, and to be honest, i don't really *need* high-performance steel to cut open boxes and antistatic bags anyway, even VG-10 is overkill for my daily use, nice to have, yes, but not strictly neccecary

Next; remove redundant knives, backups of backups;
the Wave has a serrated blade, and while it's no SpyderEdge, it's servicable, it gets the job done with minimal fuss, the Spydie Para is removed from daily EDC rotation, however the Spydie D4 Wave stays, it's too useful not to carry, plus the Wave action is just plain fun

I'll still carry my other Spydies, and will use them, I just won't need to carry around three or more knives, as the Leatherman Wave works just as well for light cutting chores

Now, on to the lights;
the Aviatrixed A2 is a permanent bit of EDC gear, it will always be on my belt, it's just too useful to leave at home, and the E1L-SR is also more than likely on permanent EDC duty due to it's convenient size and Guilt Free Lumens

the combo of Fenix L1P and Inova X1 will likely be replaced by my incoming Fenix L1T 2.0, the Arc AAA-P is also a permanent bit of gear, it's currently in a neck lanyard, but it may migrate to the keyring at some point (or more likely i'll purchase a standard Arc AAA for keyring use)

So far, I think i've trimmed my EDC gear quite effectively;
Leatherman Wave
Spydie D4 Wave
Vic Explorer
Aviatrixed A2 Aviator
E1L-SR
Arc AAA-P
Fenix L1T 2.0

If i was to trim the EDC gear further, I suppose I could drop the D4 Wave, Vic Explorer and the E1L-SR, but that'd be pushing it, absolute bare minimum EDC kit for me would likely be;
Leatherman Wave
Vic Explorer
Aviatrixed A2
Arc AAA-P
Fenix L1T 2.0

As I'm a strong believer in "Two is One, One is None", I can't see myself going below two flashlights and two knives/multitools

Retinator

Enlightened
In the middle of reading the original post I was going to suggest the Explorer ;)

I think you're good as far as tools/blades. If you only need/want 2 lights you may want to give up the Fenix or Arc. Remember the A2 counts as 2 lights, so you really have 4. I don't know anything on the Fenix, but I'd say maybe take out the Arc and leave the Fenix as a 'middle ground' light.

A Vic classic is fine for opening bags/packages, but I can definately see the versatility of an Explorer, especially for the end mounted phillips.

Wave is good, but heavy and most often overkill for my needs. The pliers are very nice to have and it does have a philips as well (on the old style, new would have a bit driver anyways). Also, the blades lock on the Wave.

What could you get away without? That's the main question.

paulr

Flashaholic
Man that's still an awful lot of EDC. Yeah the Explorer is my favorite Vic but I think of getting another Tinker (lost one ages ago). I've never had much use for a pliers multitool. Better to bring a small vice-grips if I think I'm going to need a pliers; otherwise not bother. Too bad they don't make ti vice-grips, though that would probably cost a fortune.

The amount of flashlights also seems a bit much, as is the use of 3 different types of batteries. Much as I hate to say it, I haven't edc'd my beloved Arc AAA in quite a while. I'm not that crazy about the L0D CE but I tend to carry that instead since it's relatively powerful. The 123-powered P1CE is a reasonable brighter backup for it. I'm not that crazy about Fenix's current AA models. LRI's forthcoming Cree-based Proton sounds promising. Unfortunately I don't know of any really well-made powerful 2AAA lights. The 4AAA EL Little Friend doesn't seem to be made any more. And as a backup for the backup, there's a couple of Photon II's (white and red leds) on my keyring.

Last edited:

MacTech

Enlightened
Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, Earth, USA, New England
Well, to be perfectly honest, some of my EDC stuff are just "toys", something to fiddle with during idle times, I don't strictly need them, but i'd miss carrying them, and they take up so little space that there's no downside to carrying them

the toys basically are;
Spydie D4 Wave
E1L-SR
Fenix L1T 2.0

I do actually use pliers more often than i thought I would, when performing logic board replacements on Powermac G5 towers, there are 8 standoff screws that need a good, meaty set of pliers to loosen them, I've tried a bunch of multitools to try and loosen them, ranging from the Vic SAK pliers, to Leatherman Squirt, and Juice, some small dedicated Craftsman pliers, and finally the SwissTool and the Leatherman Wave, the Wave gets the nod for it's needlenose pliers, and it's slightly lighter than the ST, which is in my BOB now.

thanks to it's one-handed opening blades, it also replaces my "tactical" knives, the hardest use they saw was opening boxes and antistatic bags, and breaking down cardboard boxes for recycling, and the occasional bout of whittling a large stick into a smaller, thinner stick, I never even came close to pushing their limits, i just like them, fun to have and play with

the Vic Explorer is used mainly for the inline Phillips, as the Leatherman Wave's bitdriver is rather stubby, the SAK's phillips has a better reach

my mindset for the lights is I wanted a bright, "retina melting" light, a long runtime light, a durable, long running backup light, and a light that used common batteries for general use
Aviatrixed A2; both long runtime light and bright retina-melter
Arc AAA-P; backup light that can be forgotten until needed, uses a common battery
Fenix L1T 2.0; decent runtime on low, good brightness on high, and uses a common battery

the E1L-SR is more of a "impress the unenlightened"/fun toy light

I think I may perform an experiment this week and just "go light", limit myself to the following EDC items and see how I fare

A2 Aviator
Arc AAA-P
Fenix L1T 2.0 (it's arriving on the 5th, and since it's a new toy I'm obligated to play with it ;) )
Leatherman Wave
Vic Explorer

Riddick

Newly Enlightened
Trimmed down myself, for work

SureFire L1 Cree
Leatherman Charge Ti

,for non working

SureFire L1 LuxIII (2nd gen)
SAK Trekker
and sometimes an X5 next to the wallet

BurkStar

Newly Enlightened
I guess over the years I have cut my EDC down a bit. At one time it was 5-7 knives, a multi-tool and maybe a light. Now its down to a Swisstool, either a Strider SLCC, Graham Razel or a Snody Sportster for fbs and usually 2 folders. For the folders its either an Onion Taboo, a Hawk RAM or Mayo XL TnT along with a William Henry B-10 Auto or a Terzuola ATCF. For lights its been or soon will be a Drake on my keyholder and either a McGizmo Ti Mule or Ti S27 PD.

Gatsby

Enlightened
Wow. My "on person" EDC is a wallet, work ID, watch, Treo 700wx (belt - the only thing I have on my belt but I work in an office where I can't carry a lot of gear around that way), pen, Spyderco Native and right now a Liteflux LF5. Comparing apples with apples my EDC is the Native and LF5.

I usually have backup in my briefcase for lights (usually my HDS), plus a multitool and other odds/ends.