Mag-lite Disassembly

EvilLithiumMan

Enlightened
Welcome to CPF :)

Remove the head of the Maglite.

Remove the tailcap.

Remove the rubber switch cover. (Wash and dry your hands to help get a grip on the switch cover. Pinch and rotate the cover while pulling on it. It comes out fairly easy and also is not difficult to reinstall).

Insert a 5/64" or 2mm hex wrench into the center of the switch plunger. Loosen the set screw that holds the switch assembly in place. (Trust me, it's there, but you never see it). Once the switch is loose, let it drop through the bottom of the tube.

You can use the same wrench to disassemble the switch itself. Just be sure to pay attention to the placement of the two endcaps, spring and other components so you can reassemble it.

I think there is info on Mag's site of all the components.

Patriot

Flashaholic
How do you completely read an instruction manual?

Not a very helpful response for a new CPF member dude.... :thumbsdow

Sorry about that Beamshot. As you can see from the other posts, most people around here are much more helpful than the person who replied first. Also a warm welcome to you here at CPF :)

Last edited:

djblank87

Enlightened
Not a very helpful response for a new CPF member dude.... :thumbsdow

Sorry about that Beamshot. As you can see from the other posts, most people around here are much more helpful than the person who replied first. Also a warm welcome to you here at CPF :)

I must agree:

Being sarcastic is one thing and can be fun at times. But answering a question with such a response that imposes the idea that you are trying to belittle someone, it is just rude. I believe you intentions were different, probably just for fun but sometimes you have to ease off. Some people might not understand the humor behind your statement.

:whistle:

Last edited:

ricecookery

Newly Enlightened
Welcome to CPF :)

Remove the head of the Maglite.

Remove the tailcap.

Remove the rubber switch cover. (Wash and dry your hands to help get a grip on the switch cover. Pinch and rotate the cover while pulling on it. It comes out fairly easy and also is not difficult to reinstall).

Insert a 5/64" or 2mm hex wrench into the center of the switch plunger. Loosen the set screw that holds the switch assembly in place. (Trust me, it's there, but you never see it). Once the switch is loose, let it drop through the bottom of the tube.

You can use the same wrench to disassemble the switch itself. Just be sure to pay attention to the placement of the two endcaps, spring and other components so you can reassemble it.

I think there is info on Mag's site of all the components.

Thanks for that ELM. I followed your directions and fixed all my "broken" Maglites. At first, none of the switches worked and I thought I had to buy new ones. Well, after taking apart each flashlite, disassembling and then reassembling the switches, now they all work.

Who knew it was that easy to do.

97guns

Newly Enlightened
I must agree:

Being sarcastic is one thing and can be fun at times. But answering a question with such a response that imposes the idea that you are trying to belittle someone, it is just rude. I believe you intentions were different, probably just for fun but sometimes you have to ease off. Some people might not understand the humor behind your statement.

:whistle:

ive gotten the cold shoulder here asking some newbie/stupid questions too but there are more than enough good guys around to offset them. nice to see helpfull resonses to the question, ive got several mags myself and didnt know how to dissassemble either. thanks !!!!!

Burgess

Flashaholic
to 97guns --

Welcome to CandlePowerForums !

:welcome:

And to asfaltpiloot --

Thank you for that PDF Link !

:twothumbs

_

DonShock

Flashlight Enthusiast
You might find these exploded diagram photos helpful also:

MagC switch assembly: (click for full resolution photo)

MagD switch assembly: (click for full resolution photo)

LED_astray

Newly Enlightened
Someone should also mention some of the newer Mags have been delivered with a set screw that requires a Torx T8 driver (w/a very skinny shaft) instead of the older 5/64" hex driver. (You should be able to search. Lots of discussion when it first started showing up, about a year ago?)

stretch3144

Newly Enlightened
Hi all,

My first post here. I found this site after much use of British Blades, and have become a little addicted to all things bright and shiny.

I have an old 2D Maglite (without a "D" in the serial number). It has become very dirty after years of abuse in the home and car, and I have decided to give it a good clean, and replace the bulb with a Terralux LED jobbie.

However, after following the instructions on this site, I am unable to budge the switch unit inside the tube. I have completely loosened the grub screw with a 2mm allen key but the switch will not come free.

Should I resort to using force and hit it with a screwdriver and hammer? Or is there another solution?

I also have a pair of Solarforce L2s; a Surefire E2 Executive; a Halcyon HID divelight and a MagCharger.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
stretch3144, the older, pre 2001 D mags have a retainer ring in the head that has to be loosened.

Bill

stretch3144

Newly Enlightened
stretch3144, the older, pre 2001 D mags have a retainer ring in the head that has to be loosened.

Bill

Thanks, Bill. I found the threaded ring and have loosened it off as far as it will go with needle-nose pliers. It seems to be stuck behind a grub screw and won't come out. The grub screw inside the switch has been fully loosened too. Not sure how to proceed now - have tried to push it out from the bottom but it will not budge.

My intention was to convert this old 2D Mag into a ROP with a Pelican Big D bulb, and a pair of 18650 cells.

Any further help would be appreciated.