PK Design Lab
Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 36789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: GDuP progress thread.

Default Re: GDuP progress thread.

Wayne & Cindy,

The mail carrier left me a neat little box today. My long awaited GDuP Cree arrived safely. Thank you! This is a really neat little light engine. I think the 3 stages are going to be really handy. I'm looking forward to getting another one soon.

Rick

Got my GDuP today as well!
    ...however, the Dome is separated from the LED module... I can just glue it back on correct? (certain adhesive preferable?)

Mayo

(looked at some old threads on this, doesn't sound like fun...help!)
    Last edited by FrogmanM; 05-15-2008 at 02:22 AM.

Please send me an email with your name and order number through the Shoppe Contact Us. Thanks. Cindy
    Last edited by Ms_SS; 05-15-2008 at 02:46 AM.

email sent via SS website

Mayo

Flashaholic*

Well, I have to say I am quite a bit dissappointed in things with these Gdups.

I had one of the earlier Gdups and it had issues. Not going to the next highest mode reliably until multiple attempts among other things. So I patiently waited after contacting the Shoppe about it , for the next round to come. I was able to use the faulty Gdup on a limited basis as it was until the next round came about so that was ok.
    Well after waiting weeks and weeks I finally got the replacement and it is quite dissappointing to say the least. The dome on this LED appears to have a roughly circular "crack" around it right above the die. Like it recieved an impact and the shock radiated out in this pattern? the rest of the dome has a ripple effect like stain glass. The result is a beam that is absolutley horrendous either as a mule or in a relectored setup. It creates a large "halo" of darkness around a center hotspot with the surrounding "flood" completely riddled with artifacts. You can barely see the cree die distorted thru the ripples as compared to my other cree based lights which have clear domes. It is eveident immediatley upon looking at it that it is screwed up.
    Now I know nothing in life is perfect but I was kind of expecting that after getting a "defective" product and waiting for an extended period to get the issues straightend out that some bit of attention would have been paid to getting one to me without any issues. Just a quick cursory look at this led is all it takes to notice the problem. How could this Led have been soldered on and tested and passed whatever QC exists is beyond me.
    Really bummed here, what to do? I really like the GDUP Mule concept but I cant seem to win here.

Quote Originally Posted by litetube View Post
    Well, I have to say I am quite a bit dissappointed in things with these Gdups.

I had one of the earlier Gdups and it had issues. Not going to the next highest mode reliably until multiple attempts among other things. So I patiently waited after contacting the Shoppe about it , for the next round to come. I was able to use the faulty Gdup on a limited basis as it was until the next round came about so that was ok.
    Well after waiting weeks and weeks I finally got the replacement and it is quite dissappointing to say the least. The dome on this LED appears to have a roughly circular "crack" around it right above the die. Like it recieved an impact and the shock radiated out in this pattern? the rest of the dome has a ripple effect like stain glass. The result is a beam that is absolutley horrendous either as a mule or in a relectored setup. It creates a large "halo" of darkness around a center hotspot with the surrounding "flood" completely riddled with artifacts. You can barely see the cree die distorted thru the ripples as compared to my other cree based lights which have clear domes. It is eveident immediatley upon looking at it that it is screwed up.
    Now I know nothing in life is perfect but I was kind of expecting that after getting a "defective" product and waiting for an extended period to get the issues straightend out that some bit of attention would have been paid to getting one to me without any issues. Just a quick cursory look at this led is all it takes to notice the problem. How could this Led have been soldered on and tested and passed whatever QC exists is beyond me.
    Really bummed here, what to do? I really like the GDUP Mule concept but I cant seem to win here.
    I'm sorry for your experience.

All the units we test have a clear dome and the die is visible. On top of that we told the CM to reject any MCPCB after the LED is installed if it's not clear so, I'm at a loss what has happened here.

The only problems I am aware of is the bubbling of the silicon that happens sometimes when the LED is reflowed onto the MCPCB and like I said above we told the CM to weed those out. Since the CM does a QC followed by out calibration and our own QC it seems strange how something this obvious could have gone out.

It sounds like damage occured after we shipped it. Is it possible that there was insufficient packing on the LE? If so, we will take corrective action and add more bubble wrap on the the LEs on future shipments.

Was the LE dropped on a hard surface? The description sounds like that is what happened.

Thanks,

Wayne

I don't know if mine has the same problem or not. This is my first LED LE so I wasn't sure what to expect. Mine doesn't have any dark spots in the beam, but the dome on the LED is definitely not clear. It appears to have kind of a bubbly look to it. When I look at the light beam on a wall, I can see some type of grid pattern in it. Is that normal for these?

Got mine recently & it works perfectly.
    "For those who know, no explanation is needed. And for those whom do not, none is possible." They can take your money away, but they can't take your education. If a man's not worth his word then what's he worth?

Quote Originally Posted by flashlight View Post
    Got mine recently & it works perfectly.

Ditto.

I just ordered a second one, since the "One Per Customer" sign was relegated to Wayne and Cindy`s closet.

Proud custodian of Tvodrd`s works of art; Peter`s Arc`s and Brass Arc AAA; Mike Jordan`s gems; some really great lights from Enrique, Fred and Tain ....and *several* of Don`s mods, Ti`s and McLux masterpieces.

So neither of you have the golf ball looking dimples in the dome that causes the grid like pattern in the beam?

Quote Originally Posted by Rico801 View Post
    So neither of you have the golf ball looking dimples in the dome that causes the grid like pattern in the beam?
    With respect to my GDuP Cree...correct. The beam is nice and similar to the original 825mA A19 Crees.
    Last edited by Carpe Diem; 05-16-2008 at 01:23 AM.
    Proud custodian of Tvodrd`s works of art; Peter`s Arc`s and Brass Arc AAA; Mike Jordan`s gems; some really great lights from Enrique, Fred and Tain ....and *several* of Don`s mods, Ti`s and McLux masterpieces.

Just got my cree and it works perfectly in a mule style head and in a 27mm with a very nice hot spot.
    Once things leave my hands I am not responsible for what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Rico801 View Post
    I don't know if mine has the same problem or not. This is my first LED LE so I wasn't sure what to expect. Mine doesn't have any dark spots in the beam, but the dome on the LED is definitely not clear. It appears to have kind of a bubbly look to it. When I look at the light beam on a wall, I can see some type of grid pattern in it. Is that normal for these?
    That sounds like the silicon inside the dome has move or shifted. That occurs most often when the LED is reflowed onto the MCPCB, but, I have seen it occur randomly at other times.

If that is the problem and it affects the quality of the LE I would be happy to replace it.

These are most unfortunate and we are doing everything humanly possible to QC and screen out these. Over time we will develop and catch more process related issues as we move forward especially since the majority of the work is being done by our CM. While I trust the CM in their excellent work they are in the end just humans like we all are and humans are not perfect.

It's still early in the ramp up process and I apologize for any imperfections that have slipped through. Each assembly takes time to hone in refine over time.

If under the glass dome you can see a clear image of the die then there is no problem. If it looks like jello or jelly inside then some separation has occured.

The die is square and has holes in it when you look into the LED.

Can you take a close up picture of the LED and post it so we can see if it's normal or not.

Wayne
    Last edited by dat2zip; 05-16-2008 at 01:59 AM.

Do you have graph paper on the wall where you are shining the light?

Wayne

I don't have a good macro camera to take a picture of the LED, but it does look like there is a blob inside the dome. It is not a clear dome like on my G2ZL.

I need to order another one and a few other things. I will email or call to make arrangements.

Flashaholic*

I did not drop the LE.

I apologize for coming across in a rantish fashion. it is just frustrating to get a 2nd substandard product . I will send a PM here to you Wayne with my name/address and will get this one heading back to you also to the same address listed on the shipping box?

Wayne,

I sent a PM the other day. Do I need to contact you via email or from the form on your website?

Wayne/Cindy, I received my GDuP Q4 Cree L.E today.

I really appreciate the effort that you made to try it out in an A19 head
    prior to sending it.

Thanks,
    Daniel/
    Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine

Hi Wayne and Cindy,

I received my GDuP yesterday and had a chance to try it out last night and I wanted to share some first day observations.

I'm still getting used to switching levels but am finding it easier to land on and set the level that I want.

Low is about equal to the low on my Ti-PD with a Seoul LED. Just about right for me.

Medium came in much brighter than I thought. Wow! I'd say it covers 90% of my needs indoors or out.

The difference between the medium and high was not the same jump as from low to medium, but I find the high level to be a very good performer.

When I can scratch together the funds, I'm going back to the Shoppe for another one!

Great product!

I do see a slight flash at startup, especially on low, and usually when I first fire up the light after it has been sitting for awhile. Absolutely not a problem for me, but just thought I'd mention it.

Thanks again!
    Last edited by BigHonu; 05-17-2008 at 04:27 PM. Reason: add information

Flashaholic*

packaging was also adequate . are these packed and shipped via 3rd party?

A good description!! yes it is like Jello or Jelly in the dome. when lit there is a thing ring visible and when at a slight angle a "ripple " effect in the dome. the output is just Horrendous

well I sent an email via the shoppe and hopefully the THIRD time will be the charm and I will finally have my elusive flawless GDUP !!!!!!

litetube,

Good luck on your third try. I've only had the module since yesterday, but it is a versatile and quality piece of kit!

Flashaholic*

Thanx for the encouraging words BigHonu. I will definitley post here when I get it straightened out!!

Updated 2nd post with the user manual on the UI.

Please feel free to post any corrections, additions or re-phrasing as you think would help clarify any of the 2nd post. When it solidifies I will move it to the Shoppe product description.

Thanks,

Wayne

Thanks for doing that Wayne.

I think it may also be worth adding the currents that
    the 3 different levels are driven at in the finished GDuP (in post #2)

I know this information is somewhere in this thread, but its not that
    easy to find, and I think they were revised once or twice.
    Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine

Maybe add in some details for those who have not been following the GDuP threads:

When the switch is tapped, the light will cycle to the next level if no level has been 'set'. The order of the levles in the cycle are: low - med - high. When the highest level is reached, the next tap will start the cycle back at the lowest level.

To set a level, the light must remain in an 'on' state for at least 1 second.

When a level is set ('on' for at least 1 second) and the light is switched off, the next time the light is turned on, it will turn on at the set level.

Any Seoul GduP LE`s in the works soon?

Looking to make an order but i couldnt find everything i need.

GDuP Seoul LE are in the works.

Where are the people who need GDuP Cree LEs for the empty hosts? You can buy more than one at a time.

These light engines are great! Get them while you can!

Quote Originally Posted by Ms_SS View Post
    GDuP Seoul LE are in the works.
    Dirk

Sorry if this has been asked before but what are the differences between the Cree & Seoul GDuP LEs apart from the gummy dome on the Seouls?
    "For those who know, no explanation is needed. And for those whom do not, none is possible." They can take your money away, but they can't take your education. If a man's not worth his word then what's he worth?

Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 36789101112131415 LastLast