SYSMAX Ind./Clike to find more about Nitecore flashlights!
Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: GDuP progress thread.

Default Re: GDuP progress thread.

Quote Originally Posted by luminata View Post
    Just to throw in my 2 cents.

I think it woould be a shame to lower all 3 levels to accomodate a lowest of 2ma. I really don't understand the constant push for levels this low. 10ma is extremely low and offers extended runtime to boot. and you still get 2 other levels 180ma (very useful) and 700ma or so for extreme briteness when needed. Everyone is always talking about their "night vision" being destroyed. Am I the only one who is not a Navy SEAL or Army Green Beret. I myself dont worry about my "night Vision" going from the bathroom to the bed at 2am, That is why I have the flashlight next to me and take it with me on the potty run. When I turn it off I am back in bed and already 1/2 asleep again. I dont think I will encounter any "bandits" on the way back to bed and If I do I have the FLASHLIGHT to identify them with . Of course I guess tactically I should extinguish the light and crouch and roll out to the left or right and assume my Ninja stance.

I think many if not most at this point will be sticking this thing in a Mule? I could be mistaken, but if that is the case remember there is no reflector so a low of 2ma will serve what purpose? I agree it is nice having a low for checking on the kids etc. but to sacrifice all levels for the low of 2ma seems like to much of a sacrifice when in a Mule 10ma will be very very low.
    What do you all think? Am I wrong?
    I agree with you on this. I too personally don't need anything lower than the 10mA especially in a Mule where you don't have a concentrated spot of light.

I believe the people that want the 2mA is to mimic the tritium light level which if I understand there usage would be more for identifying where the light is.

Since this is the low level I believe any LED current in the 10-25mA range would suffice and most users would really care or see any difference. As long as there are other brighter levels in case low is not sufficient.

Remember, these are three regulated levels. Consider all the Alephs out there that use the resistor tailcap to get the low level. The low came at a price of poor efficiency and hard to control what the actual current to the LED was.

With a 10mA drive current to the LED the overhead is another 1mA or so making the converter efficiency in the 70-80% range. A 10 ohm in series with the GD for example might be giving you 1mA to the LED and being out of regulation still drawing some 200mA of current from the battery.

Maybe, the current levels should be more like.

Regular 20mA, 180mA, 700mA (3W version)

Mizer: 10mA, 60-80mA, 350mA (1W version)

The more I think about it... Those that want the 2mA will be custom and not a standard product. For the vast majority 2mA will be too low for practical purposes.

Three levels makes sense for an EDC light. For a throw light it probably makes more sense to having a regular level and a turbo level since the usage will be different than a pocket EDC light.

Wayne

I'm totally agreeing with you, luminata.
    Having lights with multiple levels I can't remember me using the lowest setting for example with my HDS EDCs that often.
    The settings Wayne used in the previous GDUP are already very well balanced.
    And btw I'm one of those guys not working in Special Forces.
    Kelvin

Thanks for your efforts Wayne. I'll buy as soon as I'm able!
    Reality is usually scoffed at and illusion is usually king. But in the battle for survival of western civilization it will be reality and not illusion or delusion that determines what the future will bring.

Quote Originally Posted by dat2zip View Post
    <snip>

Regular 20mA, 180mA, 700mA (3W version)

Mizer: 10mA, 60-80mA, 350mA (1W version)

<snip>

Three levels makes sense for an EDC light. For a throw light it probably makes more sense to having a regular level and a turbo level since the usage will be different than a pocket EDC light.

Wayne
    This sounds like it covers the most ground for users. If volumes support it, I think you would also find some takers for a "turbo" version, e.g., something like 30mA, 350mA, 1000mA, if that were possible.

Quote Originally Posted by acourvil View Post
    I think you would also find some takers for a "turbo" version, e.g., something like 30mA, 350mA, 1000mA, if that were possible.
    I would like one like that. Pedal to the metal!

+1 for the turbo version

I voted for a super low (below 10ma) because the 10ma sometimes wakes up my kids when I check on them in a "bump" in the night scenario. 10ma in a mule with a cree is way to bright for me when I get up in the middle of the night to do whatever...check on the kids, go PP, make sure the dog is ok, get a drink from the kitchen (ew unfiltered bathroom faucet water). YMMV however. My vote still stands, special forces or no special forces.
    Cheers, Chris

I don't need a lower low either!
    I just need 2 more LE, 1 Seoul and another Cree.
    My second Cree should be a turbo version!
    R2 GDuP Turbo Mule?
    Last edited by Sgt. LED; 01-06-2008 at 09:10 PM.

I am sure if we took a poll there would be a vote for every concievable setup that could be implemented. Definitley some people have much more sensitinity to light than others . I think Waynes plan of a "regular" and a "mizer" will satisfy most everyone. It's funny that talk of a extreme low has now sparked comments of the desire for a "turbo" runnin 1000ma. Classic CPF . I think 1000ma would get very hot very quickly and runtime would suffer greatly but maybe for short bursts in a MUle it would work? Next there will be people asking for a Strobe option and SOS .

Just to see some more of these available in the original setup would be great . Hopefully the regular setup with Cree Q4-Q5 will be the predominant and first available in quantity?

The 20-180-700 sounds just right. Going up to 1000ma is good for when your throwing out to 100+ feet. Thats "THROW" in a big reflectored lite. I for one don't want to EDC a big one or have multiple levels in it. I want my Aleph 3 on HI, if theres a flupic in it I bump it right up to burst. In my Mule I use Flupic Level 2(more than 20ma) and 7. Not sure of the current depending on battery state. Please don't go below 20ma its just low enough to look in tight spaces and just bright enough to find the toilet at night. I couldn't do a thing with 2ma. Functionality. EDC!
    My Alephs are starving for regulated multi-levels

Quote Originally Posted by nein166 View Post
    The 20-180-700 sounds just right. Going up to 1000ma is good for when your throwing out to 100+ feet. Thats "THROW" in a big reflectored lite. I for one don't want to EDC a big one or have multiple levels in it. I want my Aleph 3 on HI, if theres a flupic in it I bump it right up to burst. In my Mule I use Flupic Level 2(more than 20ma) and 7. Not sure of the current depending on battery state. Please don't go below 20ma its just low enough to look in tight spaces and just bright enough to find the toilet at night. I couldn't do a thing with 2ma. Functionality. EDC!
    My Alephs are starving for regulated multi-levels
    But as you mention the flupic here...
    Since the flupic hasnīt goot a voltage boost mode how long will you get 1000-1200 ma to your LED ? maybe 10 minutes ( my experience ) then the voltage of a single cell drops, and you go around with about 700ma (depends on the forward volatage of the led) - so the output curve is not very flat at all.
    In my opinion there is NO 0.55" sized multilevel buck/burst converter out there - having regulated 1000ma.
    Maybe Iīm wrong - but i donīt know one.

Itīs clear, everyone (including me ) wants special features to that board, that canīt be satisfied.

Just want to mention that there is NO Multilevel Buck/Burst board out there providing REGULATED 1000ma.

just my thoughts ...
    p.s. sorry for my poor english

J.D., I don't want the flupic anymore I want a GDuP!
    I don't want 1000ma, max 700ma is plenty.
    Your right on the 1000ma buck/boost

Quote Originally Posted by nein166 View Post
    J.D., I don't want the flupic anymore I want a GDuP!
    same here

For me I'd like to see a sandwich compatble multi-level buck/boost. 700ma max would be fine. Two AA NiMH probably can't push much more. Unless someone were to produce a Li-ION in say 141000.

cheers, zwf

I'd like a turbo version also with a 1A high, just to reiterate.

I just want a GDuP.....

So giddyup and make lots more Wayne

Benny

Quote Originally Posted by MorpheusT1 View Post
    I just want a GDuP.....

So giddyup and make lots more Wayne
    Yeah, make lots more of them - I need at least two

Bernd

Flashaholic*

One for me too.
    I spend my days in the light thinking about flashlights in the dark

I'm still carrying the GDuP beta test unit since the day I received it.

I've replaced the host with one of Don's EN plated Mule/McClicky packs, a perfect marriage.

Having the fortune of being selected as a beta tester, I tried hard at first to pick it apart and analyze it from all angles. That effort has faded now; I no longer carry it as a beta tester, but simply because it works well and I enjoy using it.

One for me too
    Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes.
    That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have
    their shoes.

I need two as well.

A batch of 40 boards are being hand soldered right now. I expect to program them sometime this coming week. Those that pass programming successfully will go on to to the light engine assembly.

I will be making most of these XRE LEs. A few Seouls will be made.

After programming I will assess the number that successfully pass programming to determine whether to pull the production trigger or not.

Once production is ordered there will be a 3-4 week delay before boards will be completed. Since Chinese new year may encroach into this there may be additional delays.

Wayne

:
    Cheers, Chris

Nice to hear they are in its final stage
    Kelvin

Good to hear of progress
    Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes.
    That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have
    their shoes.

Thanks for the update, Wayne! I'm looking forward to making a purchase....
    "However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light." -- Stanley Kubrick

**Do Not Feed The Vegan**

How's it comin', GiddyUpDude?

Wayne,

Can we purchase just the GDuP converter board to build our own LE?

max

Flashaholic

Wayne I just ordered a mule. I would love a GDup upgrade. Just let me know what I would owe you to do it. I am hoping you can install it for me. I am not one of you god techie people.

I am new to all this but way impressed with the work that this community of people is doing together and what has been achived so far.

As you put in your previous posts I put my money where my mouth is. Just send me an email letting me kknow what I owe you more for the GDup upgrade to the mule I ordered.

BTW please disreagard the clip in the order. I was not aware that the mule had one already.

Thanks,
    John

**Do Not Feed The Vegan**

Quote Originally Posted by JohnTz View Post
    Wayne I just ordered a mule. I would love a GDup upgrade. Just let me know what I would owe you to do it. I am hoping you can install it for me. I am not one of you god techie people.
    John,

!!

Aleph Light Engines just screw into the head. As long as you know righty-tighty lefty-loosey, you're good to go! AFAIK, right now, Wayne's only releasing assembled GDuP LE's, so you wouldn't have to solder or "install" anything, except screwing it into the head.

john