a little wisdom from Chen Lee

Status
Not open for further replies.

boosterboy

Enlightened
So the other day, I'm reading ar15.com and I came across this sliver of wisdom.

Chen Lee said
As far as junk, Not allChinese made items are junk.. I am made in Taiwan but I come with a life time warranty.. LOL

Yes, Every third world countries come through the knock off phase. First was Japan, then Taiwan, China, and you will soon see Vietnam as then next country to take that path.

it made me chuckle because it's true.

Remember a time when Japanese electronics were regardless as inferior to Western electronics, and now they are world class. Then it was Korea's turn.
Does this mean Taiwanese and Korean lights are better:nana:

MikeSalt

Flashlight Enthusiast
It probably means that the electronics are better. Fenix (China) regulator circuits are the best in the world, pushing the highest efficiency for the longest time.

As for the machining, I won't know until I get a Surefire. The only 'Western' flashlights I own currently are Maglite and LED Lenser.

Windscale

Enlightened
It probably means that the electronics are better. Fenix (China) regulator circuits are the best in the world, pushing the highest efficiency for the longest time.

As for the machining, I won't know until I get a Surefire. The only 'Western' flashlights I own currently are Maglite and LED Lenser.

The electronics in a light is a really matter these days. Since most of the world's computers are now made in China, the Chinese should not have any problem bringing out Fenix type circuits. As for machining, this is also simple. But it will take longer time to machine something to a high standard. This will be reflected in the price. Indeed some lights made in China are as well machine as SFs. But why should the Chinese be so stupid to use up more time to make something to compete with SF when they can easily rule the lower end of the market by making UF and Fenix!

chakrawal

Enlightened
The electronics in a light is a really matter these days. Since most of the world's computers are now made in China, the Chinese should not have any problem bringing out Fenix type circuits. As for machining, this is also simple. But it will take longer time to machine something to a high standard. This will be reflected in the price. Indeed some lights made in China are as well machine as SFs. But why should the Chinese be so stupid to use up more time to make something to compete with SF when they can easily rule the lower end of the market by making UF and Fenix!
+1

Genesis 1:3

Newly Enlightened
Most of Chinese, Korean and Taiwanese flashlights I have seen so far don't spend enough effort on the optics. Just look at a typical Fenix reflector cup and you will know what I mean. IMHO, I believe the Japanese has all the necessary technology i.e. electronics, optical (Canon, Nikon) and high quality craftsmanship. However we just don't see any high end flashlights from the Japanese.

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good lights can be made in many different countries not just in asia. Its just a matter of how much time and effort is worth the return for the manufacturer. New companies tend to release lower cost per unit products to generate interest and create revenues. Once thay have established a market they can then expand and impove their products.

Last edited:

Illum

Flashaholic
I'm from Taiwan so I have this semi-permanent bias...i can't help it, how do you not feel proud of your own nationality

take China as a company, a corporation with a seat in the market competition
the corporation can usher in thousands of good transactions and export countless outstanding products, but one or two bad ones will be noticed more significantly and overrules all the other successes that brings the company the reputation they have today.:mad:

the pet food poisoning, the lead hazard in toys, the fluorine poisoning in toothpaste, illegal overhaul of toxics, etc are only the 1% in China's exporting market and its that 1% that makes people sigh whenever a discussion about China strikes up.

most of the electronic components and consumer electronics are made in China, they pose no threat to us but unless they break the minute they were plugged in no one seems to notice that it is part of the positive side of China's exports....the fenix flashlights offer to us what China has the ability to do, best regulation, best service, and quality control to the most discriminatory levels. that being said, we as flashaholics have been revealed the "gold" of China made lights while the non-flashaholics are still being faced with the "slack" of china made lights...:ohgeez:

sorry for the rant...I needed to vent:shrug:

jtr1962

Flashaholic
I've been impressed with the quality of the majority of Chinese goods I've purchased. Most of the shoddy merchandise is usually sold at dollar stores, but even there you'll often get decent quality (for the price, anyway). Also, shoddy merchandise isn't confined to third-world countries. Anyone here remember how the US auto industry used to be the butt of jokes due to poor quality control?

Empath

Flashaholic
Past discussion of product quality, economic concerns, personal opinion and feelings in regard to Asian manufacturing, particularly Chinese involvement, have demonstrated themselves as volatile enough that the Underground is the more suited place for the discussions.

I'll close this one. Please continue the topic in our Underground Wine Cellar.

Status
Not open for further replies.