Noobie: Question on Tiablo A9

gunfighter

Newly Enlightened
Hello from Michigan!

Long time lurker, first time contributor . . .

I really, really want one of Tiablo's A9 LED flashlights. I'm hoping the dealers get some new stock on these soon.

I do have one question though . . . while staring at Lighthound's advertisement of the A9, I read the following under the "notes" section;

NOTES:
  1. When using two new CR123A batteries, use the flashlight at low output stage for three minutes before high output stage
Why do I need to do this? What happens if I don't?

Thanks for your input

Kraid

Enlightened
I thought I read that for the A8. On that light, which isn't optimized for those batteries, that woujld be too much voltage and could damage the LED. On the A9, there is no such restriction. I never wait to switch to high. I've heard a couple people say thats one reason they'd rather have the A9 over the A8. No need to wait to go to high.

Nitro

Flashlight Enthusiast
Gunfighter, what type of batteries will you be using, CR123A's, RCR123's or 18650's?

If you going to use CR123A's or RCR123's, get the A9. However if you plan on using 18650's, get the A8-Q5 instead.

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's wrong - that's for the A8.

We have a handful of A9 Naturals coming in ~5 days and 1-2 are still unclaimed. Email me directly to arrange a purchase as there's not enough to put them back for sale on the site.

daveman

Enlightened
It has a very impressive runtime, especially considering its huge output.

Nitro

Flashlight Enthusiast
It has a very impressive runtime, especially considering its huge output.

Yup! I'm going to be using 18650's, so I went with the A8-Q5. ~90 mins of flat max output.:thumbsup:

daveman

Enlightened
Wow, this is the first light I've came across with a longer runtime running primaries than 18650s.

Kraid

Enlightened
It was designed that way. The A8 with the Q5 is the same light but designed for the 18650s.