Foxfury Scout        
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cree produces 1000 lumen single LED

Default Cree produces 1000 lumen single LED

Default Re: Cree produces 1000 lumen single LED

Wahoo!! Hot wires watch out LED's gonna rule the world
    There is no important work, there are only a series of moments to demonstrate your mastery and impeccability. Quote from Almine

I like this part especially : " "Cree's XLamp(r) LEDs are the best-performing commercially available LEDs, but we won't be satisfied until light bulbs are obsolete," comments John Edmond, Cree co-founder and director of advanced optoelectronics."
    There is no important work, there are only a series of moments to demonstrate your mastery and impeccability. Quote from Almine

Flashaholic*

1050 lm at 4A at 72lm/W

1050 lm / 72lm/W = 14.58W

14.58W / 4A = 3.64V

So the device had a Vf of 3.64V at 4A.

One easy possibility is that it's a 4 dice package, with each driven at 1A. Otherwise, it would take an extreme breakthrough to drive a single 1mm^2 device at 4A and get 70+lm/W, and maintain a 3.6V Vf.

*Flashaholic*

Finally an LED which can operate at over a few watts while also maintaining decent efficiency. I doubt Cree is going the multi-die route. They either figured out how to reduce droop, or they managed to make a larger die by solving the problem of hot spots/uneven current distribution.

You know that crazy PC overclocking with liquid nitrogen? Maybe they just used Cree Q5 with sub-zero cooling?

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by jtr1962 View Post
    Finally an LED which can operate at over a few watts while also maintaining decent efficiency. I doubt Cree is going the multi-die route. They either figured out how to reduce droop, or they managed to make a larger die by solving the problem of hot spots/uneven current distribution.
    It does say single-die in the article (should read closer). It's either an enourmous die or they've found some miraculous breakthrough to maintain output at high current. Given the Vf, I'd say a huge die is more likely. Ensuring even current spreading over a larger die is a far easier problem than (more than) doubling high current efficacy.

I just found this
    http://qled.manufacturer.globalsourc...211346/LED.htm

Is it fake or real? They claim 100W LED with 9000 lumens!!

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by jirik_cz View Post
    I just found this
    http://qled.manufacturer.globalsourc...211346/LED.htm

Is it fake or real? They claim 100W LED with 9000 lumens!!
    Sounds plausible. 36V at 3.5A would be a 10x10 array of cree dies, 350mA per die, 3.6V Vf per die. 9000 lumens from 100 dies is only 90 lumens per die. Doable given available dice and phosphors.

Now all we need a reasonable sized batteries that will take that current draw and still have a 1 hour runtime.

Amazing how fast LEDs have improved, this time last year, Cree XR-E LEDs were still a dream and Luxeons were top dog.

*Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner12 View Post
    Now all we need a reasonable sized batteries that will take that current draw and still have a 1 hour runtime.
    A123 Systems.

Larry
    So much for not being able to find my happy a** with both hands and a flashlight! (Do not look into Tank Searchlight with remaining eye!)

Flashaholic

I hope we see these in production soon. I'd happily run four of them in series at 1A a piece for better efficiency and more neutral tint. That would make an awesome household lamp.

Cree has now not only eclipsed Luxeon but is now taking over Osram's territory. Who will they take on next? Nichia?
    Any man who afflicts the human race with ideas must be prepared to see them misunderstood. - H.L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner12 View Post

Amazing how fast LEDs have improved, this time last year, Cree XR-E LEDs were still a dream and Luxeons were top dog.
    Some of them 5000-7000mah D-sized li-ons seem to be a good bet for getting about 1+ hr runtime from 4A (which isn't even 1C of the cell).

1D Mag, 1000 lumens, single LED, anyone?

how about 3D mag, 3000 lumens, 3 LED array? (assuming the die and LED aren't as big as j-lo's *ss... )

Banned

The future looks "bright."

Unenlightened

Quote Originally Posted by evan9162 View Post
    One easy possibility is that it's a 4 dice package, with each driven at 1A. Otherwise, it would take an extreme breakthrough to drive a single 1mm^2 device at 4A and get 70+lm/W, and maintain a 3.6V Vf.
    4 dice? Sure?

"A single-die LED, driven at four amps, produced 1,050 lumens in cool white and 760 lumens in a warm-white version."

It seems R-S bins are coming out soon...
    Last edited by RoGeR; 09-09-2007 at 11:31 AM.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by RoGeR View Post
    4 dice? Sure?

"A single-die LED, driven at four amps, produced 1,050 lumens in cool white and 760 lumens in a warm-white version."

It seems R-S bins are coming out soon...

Duh. I already corrected myself. Sheesh.

Crackup Re: Cree produces 1000 lumen single LED

Quote Originally Posted by LEDcandle View Post
    (assuming the die and LED aren't as big as j-lo's *ss... )

This sounds promising! But it's only a R&D LED, so we don't know about commercial availability. I have searched the news on many websites but apparently there are no pictures, please post them if you can find some

Flashaholic

Considering the fact that most of the lab dice we hear about are underdriven to reach record-breaking efficiencies, it's exciting to hear about Cree pushing a whopping 4A through theirs. History tells us that Cree announces what they intend to produce - in a reasonable time frame.
    Any man who afflicts the human race with ideas must be prepared to see them misunderstood. - H.L. Mencken

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Erasmus View Post
    This sounds promising! But it's only a R&D LED, so we don't know about commercial availability. I have searched the news on many websites but apparently there are no pictures, please post them if you can find some
    last time when cree stated the XR-E in labs, it took about 6 - 7 months.... this time i have a feeling that it would be less than that to come on to the market.

As long as Cree delivers, I'm willing to wait a year. But Several months would of course be better.
    Now if it is a large die, how will that affect focusing all that 1000 lumens into throw?
    1) Neutral white, it's the new black. Heck, it's not even "new" anymore.
    2) User Interface... KISS.
    3) Proprietary cells and battery packs - Just say NO!

Enlightened

Looks like the die is question is more revolution than evolution - see

http://www.ledsmagazine.com/news/4/9/9

Quote "...John Edmond, who confirmed that the results are based on a next generation chip in which almost all aspects if technology – from epitaxial layer design to optical extraction to phosphor conversion – are not currently in production. A mix of evolutionary improvements and brand new, innovative approaches have been used. Individually, each of these improved technologies will begin to appear in production devices in the next 1-2 years.

OLD News Now!!

http://ledsmagazine.com/news/4/9/17

Thurmond
    Resistance is Futile. You Will be Modded!!
    Infinity (CMG that is) and Beyond!!

I especially like this part from the last link:

The warm-white (2,950 K) LED produced 104.2 lumens of light output and achieved 99 lumens per watt efficacy.

3K color - that's incandescent territory. Just imagine -> now you can have the regulation, runtime, and output of a 160+lumen Cree (at 1A)... with the throw-enhancing color of an incandescent!

Flashaholic*

It's a shame that Lumileds isn't more aggressive with releasing new technologies. Though who knows, business wise, they may not have to be at this point.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by meuge View Post
    I especially like this part from the last link:

The warm-white (2,950 K) LED produced 104.2 lumens of light output and achieved 99 lumens per watt efficacy.

3K color - that's incandescent territory. Just imagine -> now you can have the regulation, runtime, and output of a 160+lumen Cree (at 1A)... with the throw-enhancing color of an incandescent!
    Is it specifically the color the range of colors emitted that makes incans more 'color enhancing'?

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by meuge View Post
    Remember, LEDs don't emit anything close to a black body spectrum; the 3k figure is correlated color temperature. Warm white LEDs are meant to aesthetically rather than functionally replace incandescents.

What this does mean, however, is that we are approaching the age of efficient LED-based residential lighting.

as you can see from my signature...

can anyway guess what kind of batteries this thing might need?

Crenshaw

Buttrock Re: Cree produces 1000 lumen single LED

Still I can imagine car headlights made for the Cree bulb 1-4A draw is still better than 55/65 watts. Heck there are tailights made thinnner and smaller with red leds (Lexus, Cadillac). In the future when cars run hydroelectric and need every bit of juice this will be the best way led lighting. I must imagine the heatsink will look like a small radiator behind the body of the headlight.
    [SIGPIC]It is better to have it and not need it , than to need and not have it.

It's gonna need a monster heat sink!

Bernie
    If it's worth driving, it's worth overdriving!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast