Cree produces 1000 lumen single LED

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like this part especially : " "Cree's XLamp(r) LEDs are the best-performing commercially available LEDs, but we won't be satisfied until light bulbs are obsolete," comments John Edmond, Cree co-founder and director of advanced optoelectronics."

evan9162

Flashlight Enthusiast
1050 lm at 4A at 72lm/W

1050 lm / 72lm/W = 14.58W

14.58W / 4A = 3.64V

So the device had a Vf of 3.64V at 4A.

One easy possibility is that it's a 4 dice package, with each driven at 1A. Otherwise, it would take an extreme breakthrough to drive a single 1mm^2 device at 4A and get 70+lm/W, and maintain a 3.6V Vf.

jtr1962

Flashaholic
Finally an LED which can operate at over a few watts while also maintaining decent efficiency. I doubt Cree is going the multi-die route. They either figured out how to reduce droop, or they managed to make a larger die by solving the problem of hot spots/uneven current distribution.

jirik_cz

Flashlight Enthusiast
You know that crazy PC overclocking with liquid nitrogen? Maybe they just used Cree Q5 with sub-zero cooling? :devil:

evan9162

Flashlight Enthusiast
Finally an LED which can operate at over a few watts while also maintaining decent efficiency. I doubt Cree is going the multi-die route. They either figured out how to reduce droop, or they managed to make a larger die by solving the problem of hot spots/uneven current distribution.

It does say single-die in the article (should read closer). It's either an enourmous die or they've found some miraculous breakthrough to maintain output at high current. Given the Vf, I'd say a huge die is more likely. Ensuring even current spreading over a larger die is a far easier problem than (more than) doubling high current efficacy.

evan9162

Flashlight Enthusiast

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Now all we need a reasonable sized batteries that will take that current draw and still have a 1 hour runtime.

Amazing how fast LEDs have improved, this time last year, Cree XR-E LEDs were still a dream and Luxeons were top dog.

Martini

Enlightened
I hope we see these in production soon. I'd happily run four of them in series at 1A a piece for better efficiency and more neutral tint. That would make an awesome household lamp.

Cree has now not only eclipsed Luxeon but is now taking over Osram's territory. Who will they take on next? Nichia?

LEDcandle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Now all we need a reasonable sized batteries that will take that current draw and still have a 1 hour runtime.

Amazing how fast LEDs have improved, this time last year, Cree XR-E LEDs were still a dream and Luxeons were top dog.

Some of them 5000-7000mah D-sized li-ons seem to be a good bet for getting about 1+ hr runtime from 4A (which isn't even 1C of the cell).

1D Mag, 1000 lumens, single LED, anyone?

how about 3D mag, 3000 lumens, 3 LED array? :D (assuming the die and LED aren't as big as j-lo's *ss... )

RoGeR

Newly Enlightened
One easy possibility is that it's a 4 dice package, with each driven at 1A. Otherwise, it would take an extreme breakthrough to drive a single 1mm^2 device at 4A and get 70+lm/W, and maintain a 3.6V Vf.

4 dice? Sure?

"A single-die LED, driven at four amps, produced 1,050 lumens in cool white and 760 lumens in a warm-white version."

It seems R-S bins are coming out soon... :)

Last edited:

evan9162

Flashlight Enthusiast
4 dice? Sure?

"A single-die LED, driven at four amps, produced 1,050 lumens in cool white and 760 lumens in a warm-white version."

It seems R-S bins are coming out soon... :)

Duh. I already corrected myself. Sheesh.

Erasmus

Flashlight Enthusiast
This sounds promising! But it's only a R&D LED, so we don't know about commercial availability. I have searched the news on many websites but apparently there are no pictures, please post them if you can find some :)

Martini

Enlightened
Considering the fact that most of the lab dice we hear about are underdriven to reach record-breaking efficiencies, it's exciting to hear about Cree pushing a whopping 4A through theirs. History tells us that Cree announces what they intend to produce - in a reasonable time frame.

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast
This sounds promising! But it's only a R&D LED, so we don't know about commercial availability. I have searched the news on many websites but apparently there are no pictures, please post them if you can find some :)

last time when cree stated the XR-E in labs, it took about 6 - 7 months.... this time i have a feeling that it would be less than that to come on to the market.