Question for people who've lost their parents

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
My mom passed away a year and a half ago and yet I still sometimes have feelings that she should still be there. Especially when I go up and visit my dad, I half expect her to walk thru the door. Kind of weird and just wondering if this is a common feeling or not and does it go away after a period of years or other time frame.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
geep hope it gets better for you.i never had that sensation with my mom.i got a tad bummed the other day though after looking at a few cd of he of her poetry she wrote and books she wrote. i never really read em before.most was published from what i hear.just recall ya mom is in a better place now

Jeritall

Enlightened
My mom passed away a year and a half ago and yet I still sometimes have feelings that she should still be there. Especially when I go up and visit my dad, I half expect her to walk thru the door. Kind of weird and just wondering if this is a common feeling or not and does it go away after a period of years or other time frame.

My Mom and Dad, both passed away many years ago. Thank goodness they are still "there". I still take advice from them!

CLHC

Flashaholic
My dad died 14 months ago, and still I get hit hard. One never really gets over the death of a loved one, but does learn to cope as the years go by. . .Whenever I go to a restaurant and find it to be an excellent eatery, I'll blurt out to my friends that I'm going to take my dad here; of course, silence settles over us for the moment, and then I smile some, knowing one fine day. . .

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic

I think it depends on how close you were with someone who dies (including parents), as to how long it takes for those kinds of experiences you are describing diminish significantly. With some, like my father after 15+ years, it is still like that for me.

Some people believe in spirits/ghosts of loved ones that remain for various reasons such as providing guidance. Some would say that experiences such as you are describing are not matters of your own imagination/interpretation.

stephenmadpotato

Enlightened
I know that what I am feelin is nothing close. But about 4 years ago I lost my grandfather. I was really close to him and it hit me really hard. Whenever we referred to them we'd call them Mamie and Papa. We always catch ourselves saying Mamie and Papa and not just Mamie. I can say I've never really felt that. But I have referred to him as if he is still alive. Do you understand? I am deeply sorry for your loss and send my deepest consolences to you and your family. There are some things time can't heal I believe this is one of them.

jtr1962

Flashaholic
My dad died on March 28, 2006. I'll probably remember that date forever. Although it's been nearly a year and a half, I still expect to see him watching the ballgame whenever I go into the basement. And I still have dreams where it's as if he never died. Strange because I've never had any belief in an afterlife. Maybe the dreams are just my mind's subconscious helping me to cope.

There are many factors here that might make you feel a deceased person should still be there. How close you were is certainly important. To be truthful, I was as close with my dad as he was capable of being with anyone, but he was a distant, difficult to get along with person who pretty much kept to his hobbies. I think in my case the biggest factor is that he was simply there nearly my entire life. I've never lived on my own save the first three semesters of college, so when he passed I had spent over 42 years under the same roof. It was just simply part and parcel of my life that when I woke up, he was there, even if I seldom interacted with him. I suppose in many ways my expectations of seeing him upon going down into the basement are much the same as seeing an old, cherished piece of furniture. You don't really notice it's missing until it's gone.

My father's passing in many ways was probably easier for my siblings. My sister has been married since 1993, on her own since 1989. My brother was on his own since 1995, although he lived six blocks away until three years ago, and often stopped by. Once a person is out of your life on a daily basis, it's somewhat easier to get used to them not being there. My father's mother died in 2002 but she had been living upstate for four or five years. Since I never had a chance to visit her after she left my uncle's house, it was as if she was for all intents and purposes dead already for a few years. I do miss her, but I wouldn't expect to see her if I visited my uncle's old house (he moved too). And she lived a decently long life (87 years, 4 months), which is another factor. I had expected to have my dad around at least another ten years. Although he wasn't in the best of health, neither was his mother at 71, yet she hung on quite a while longer. When he went I just felt as if a mistake was made, so maybe my expectations are based on my feelings that he shouldn't have died at the age he did. I was just reading today about Pavarotti. Same age as my dad when he went. I had the same thoughts on how he was taken before his time. Sadly, none of us can choose when we or our loved ones go. Some go too young, others are blessed with very long lives, but also at the same time cursed as they outlive everyone they ever cared about, sometimes even their children.

Valolammas

Enlightened
Like Luthor said, it probably depends on how close you were. It will eventually diminish, but how long that takes will depend very much on yourself and how you adjust to it.

My father died when I was 18. He had a sudden heart attack and was gone, just like that. We weren't there when it happened, we just got a call from the hospital, but he was already gone by the time we got there. Lots of people told us how horrible that must be, but I've always thought that it was actually a good thing: he didn't suffer long and we didn't have to spend days or weeks wondering whether he would survive or not.

But that was almost 15 years ago, so now I'm well adjusted to him not being there. I still miss him sometimes (e.g. right now, writing this), and now that I have a son of my own, I sometimes feel bad that my father will never see him.

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
My dad died of cancer not six months ago.
I had a weird relationship with him due to incompatibility of character and lifestyle, and I have many regrets that made the first weeks very bad, but I'm doing better now.

I don't expect to see him walking through doors and all, as he wasn't very present in my life even when he was alive - due at least in part to my unwillingless to get closer to him, hence the regrets - but I do occasionally dream about him.

It's weird because while my normal dreams very seldom make sense - they are usually psychedelic moments full of weird colours and shapes and with no discernible meaning whatsoever - all the dreams with my dad in them are clear and the sense is unmistakable.

I'd like to think that it might be a way in which he somehow contacts me, but being a die hard atheist and materialist it's hard for me to believe in such things as souls, spirits, afterlife and whatnot.

Rationally, it's probably just my own mind that would want him back and so makes up the dreams because it's the only way of feeling close to him.

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*

Still happening with me - but it's only 5 weeks

Greta

Flashaholic
I guess I have a completely different "view" of these things now. Work in a morgue for a few months and it does change you. However, I am probably more comfortable now with death than I've ever been. In my mind, I now know "why"... and several ghosts that I have been carrying around for alot of years (my dad died when I was 11 years old), are now very pleasant companions. So I offer the following from my own personal experience and beliefs.

My mom passed away a year and a half ago and yet I still sometimes have feelings that she should still be there.

No... because she has finished her mission here. It was time for her to go. She has somewhere else that she needs to be now. If you consider it that way (which is how I truly believe it is), then you should feel that she is where she should be... in your heart.

Especially when I go up and visit my dad, I half expect her to walk thru the door.

Do you say hi to her? You should. Just a smile and a mental "Hi Mom!" My gramma died 12 years ago. I still wave "hello" to her when I drive past where she used to live and the cemetary where she rests now. I have my father-in-law's ashes in a china cabinet here in my house (I took care of him for months before he died (also 12 years ago) and was the one who found him when he died)... and occasionally, I will "feel" him ... so I just ask him when he's going to tell me if OJ really did it (inside joke), smile and move on.

Kind of weird and just wondering if this is a common feeling or not and does it go away after a period of years or other time frame.

I guess MY point is... why would you want the feeling to go away? It is comforting... or at least, it can be. I love having them around still... I love the memories... I love the feeling that they will always be with me. I love feeling like they can and will walk through the door any minute now and make me laugh, smile, cry, fustrated, irritated.... comforted.

I paid $75 for a 6'x4' area rug for my living room... because the colors and pattern reminded me of a tapestry that my gramma used to have in her living room when I was a little girl. Trust me... there is no way in HELL I would ever pay that much for something for my dogs to lay on if it hadn't reminded me of her and made me feel good... :)

greenLED

Flashaholic
My dad passed away earlier this year. Last week I was walking past our living room phone and I actually reached towards it thinking I hadn't called him in a while... :(

It's the first time my mind has "glitched" like that, but not a single day goes by without me thinking about him. There's too much of him living within me for me to feel he's totally gone. I don't expect the memories and the legacy of his love for fade from within me. Ever.

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I lost my mom almost two years ago. Aside from freaking out and spending a few months totally lost, I still miss her. People like to say that it gets better with time, but I'm not so sure. I still have dreams where she is alive.

I was close to my mom and I don't want to forget or lose those memories of her. At the same time, I need help with the grief I feel from those memories.

I went to the Burning Man festival this year. This year the temple was a 'temple of forgiveness'. People brought pictures and stories to post on the temple, and participants were invited to write their own story on the temple with a sharpie. It was very cathartic to add my own tribute to the temple, and watching it burn with all the others was very moving. It was a great ritual to honor those that passed. It helped me a lot with my problem. If you can find a way to honor and cherish your memory of your parents, it makes their passing somewhat easier.

Here's a video I recorded of the temple fire this year at Burning man.

TedTheLed

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think we keep a phantom image of our departed just like one still 'feels' the presence of an amputated limb.. the person may be gone but the brain is still 'wired' to deal with their presence.. I expected to hear the jangling of my father's keys in the door at the time he woud usually come home for a year or two after he passed away..

for months, when my first cat disappeared, I thought I could hear her meow when the wind blew...at first, I would go out at night looking for her in the bushes..

fasteddie

Enlightened
My parents are both departed. I've been an orphan since my mid-40s. Nobody would adopt me.

Best advice I got is that when you accept life, you accept ALL of it.. the good and the bad. Losing parents is one of the most traumatic events any of us face. For me, it was 12 and 15 years ago, and over time I've found that I don't think of them as often as I used to. I do find myself wishing I could ask them some unanswered questions. Mostly, the thoughts are positive and happy. Occasionally I blame them for some of my shortcomings. IMO, My younger brother has not recovered from their loss. He still lives in their house, drives their cars, now almost falling apart. Named his son after our Dad. To me, all of that serves to pick at an old emotional wound, never letting it heal over.

My advice: respect and celebrate your parents lives from time to time, while getting on with your own. Over time, the grief fades. Good luck.

Last edited:

McGizmo

Flashaholic
I concurr with what the others have said. I lost my father 20+ years ago while I was in college and I never did get to sit down with him, man to man. His genetic imprint on me in both physical similarities as well as learned traits, I suppose, is so strong that he will always be a part of me and he set standards in behavior that still dictate I do better tomorrow than I have done today.

My mother has been gone now about a year and a half. Due to poor health and dementia in the final years, we didn't make clear connections with each other prior to her passing. She was always in 100% full support of both my brother and myself and encouraged us to follow our dreams. She knew of my love for Maui and was in full support and accord that I would spend my full vacation every year visiting over here; even though it precluded my spending more time in visiting her in So. Cal. With her passing, my share of her estate allowed me to make a move to Maui and realize a dream I have harbored for close to 40 years. To date, not a single day has gone by that I haven't appreciated and consciously thought about how fortunate I am to have a shot at living out my life here in what I consider to be paradise. At the core of this fortune is her support, influence and being. Beyond the gift of life itself has been the gift of opportunity and support in the pursuit of a good life and one in sync with my dreams. I don't walk through rooms where she once stood but I walk under a beautiful sky that she made possible for me to see and enjoy.

If I can use the weak analogy of my self being a grown and mature tree with roots and branches still allowing for growth and nourishment then surely my parents are in the very heart of my wood and it was due to their efforts and sacrifices that I was able to take root and grow as I have.

In the physical sense, we loose our parents and this may be temporary or even permenant and prior to their death; certainly death breaks the physical connection. However in terms of the other senses and on what I consider more significant levels which are not bound by the laws of physics, we never loose our parents.

This post is of no real significance to the rest of you but I want to thank geepondy for asking his question that I likely haven't answered. In taking the time to consider my response here, tears have flown freely and I would like to think my father and mother know that my appreciation for them is real and the gratitude there; even if I didn't show it when I could.

For those of you whose parents have yet to depart this earth, consider the time you do have remaining and use it well. For some, I realize there may be gaps too wide to bridge yet there is still call for consideration, IMHO.

Diesel_Bomber

Flashlight Enthusiast
The only advice I can offer is to be thankful that you had parents that were worth crying over when they left. Not everyone is so fortunate.

My sincere condolences to all. :buddies:

depusm12

Flashlight Enthusiast
I guess I'm lucky cause I still have my mother at least, my father was killed in a automobile accident when I was 5yrs old. I was close to him and after his death I became even closer to my mother and grandparents because I spent more time with my granparnets. My grandparents all are gone now and I still feel my grandfather's presence sometimes and my father's guiding me and watching over me. Its a comforting feeling and I hope I'll always have it around.

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast
And, if you have not done it yet--pick a quiet place that has meaning for you and/or your Mom and just have a good breakdown, feel sad, cry, and say good-bye.

Guys are told so many times never to show emotion, that we may forget that it is natural.

I lost a close grandfather when I was a teenager and my Dad a few years ago... Once I did that--then I felt that they really have passed on and I won't expect to see them here again.

-Bill