On Line massive Multi player games

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, I play one that has totally sucked up all my time and money for over a year. In fact, I'm playing it right now. It's called CPF. :D

My sister plays WoW when she has time (she's already graduated college, going for a Ph.D.), and it is indeed addictive. On more than one occasion, WoWers have cornered me and talked at me about WoW until they have to go somewhere.

I played Diablo II in late '05 for about three months and around four hours per day. ("You have quite a treasure there in that Horadric Cube..." :laughing: ) I just can't stand the idea of buying a game and then paying for it again every month. If I were to start an MMORPG, it would have to be feeless. Of course, I would first have to spend a couple grand on a new computer, but that's a minor detail. :ohgeez:

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
Battlefield and Swat are not MMORPGs. Online yes, massive no.

Anyway: the only MMORPG games that would be of my interest - space based, sandbox ones - require a monthly fee, which rules them out.

I seem to remember there is one space based MMORPG that is free, but it has newtonian physics, which I hate with a passion. I play to have fun, not to spend half an hour figuring out how to decelerate my ship enough that it doesn't overshoot my target by a gazillion miles.

The other free ones are either fantasy or Second Life type of games, neither of which I like much.

It's probably better this way. I have enough trouble being productive as it is, if I added an addictive MMORPG to my life I'd probably reduce my productivity to zero. :p

FASTCAR

Banned
Guild Wars ( really Diablo 3) is 100% free and a decent game

I dont mind paying $15/month at all.
Heck movies last 2 hours for 10 bucks.

Mad1

Enlightened
I played guildwars for a while but lost interest and never bought any of the expanstion packs.

I now play Day of Defeat Source and Desert Combat. (see sig)

AvroArrow

Enlightened
I play Guild Wars and have all 3 games (Prophecies, Factions, Nightfall) plus the expansion (Eye of the North). My co-worker got me into it over 2 years ago and i've been playing it since. I don't usually have a lot of time play and that's why I like the pick up/drop off anytime nature of GW. I don't have to grind away at it everyday to level up my character for a month.

The fact that it doesn't have a monthly fee gives me this freedom. If I was to pay a monthly fee for it (like WoW), I'd feel compelled to play it every day or every couple of days to get my money's worth. As it is, I've been playing it for about 1650hrs over 27 months so far (the in-game timer is a blessing and a curse), piddly compared to my co-worker who plays WoW. :nana:

I'm not knocking WoW, it's a great game and all (9 million subscribers can't all be wrong), but it's not my kind of MMO. I'm not sure I'd buy a monthly fee based MMO because I'd be compelled to play, instead of wanting to play. But that's just me. :D

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
I play Guild Wars more than enough.
(I was big on PvP for awhile and still enjoy it, but I just don't have the time at the moment to pursue a top 100 PvP guild. So I"ve been doing a large amount of PvE the past few months.)
GW is not quite MMO, and that lack of true MMO is one of the few gripes I have about the game. No monthly fee is a great plus. They're gearing up to release Guild Wars 2 I think, so I'll look closely at that.

Before GW i played Star Wars Galaxies. I started SWG at launch and had a blast for the first 9 months or so. It was by far the most fun I've ever had gaming. Then Sony Online Entertainment screwed it all up. SOE kept adding more crap and really didn't fix any of the core problems with the game. Then it took me 9 months to cancel my subscriptions. There fore I will never, for the rest of my life give a dime to SOE.

Now I look t the future... I'm keeping an eye on Star Trek Online as it develops.

Non MMO:
I love SciFi, and really really dislike the D&D genere. Guild Wars was soooo good for PvP though that it was an exception.
I played Diablo 2 LOD around patch .09 but couldn't stand how poorly Blizzard managed the game, and how rampant hacks, and exploits were. I still play it now and again with my younger brother but not for personal enjoyment.
I loved Star Craft but again was realy dismayed at how poor of a job Blizzard did at fixing exploits.
So I stopped playing some time ago. These negative experiences with Blizz made me shun WoW from the get-go. Though I might be able to bring myself to play Star Craft 2.
My first FTS online was Star Trek Armada but that died pretty quickly.

I've played Battlefield, Battlefield Vietnam, and Batlefield 2, though I haven't touched them in a year. I used to play Rainbow 6 FPS games too way back in the day on my AMD K6-II.

All in all I think it is safe to say I like online games.