Favorite torrent client?

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well for about the past year I've been using Ares to handle torrents, and it has worked fine. But it does suffer from somewhat slow DL speeds and I can't disable uploads. Does anybody have any recommendations for a torrent client which allows for faster speeds and disabling of uploads?

Mash

Enlightened
utorrent
Does all I want it to do, and it does it with elegance, simplicity, and a tiny footprint. Try it, I doubt you will contemplate anything else.
BTW disabling uploads kinda goes against the spirit of things. You wouldnt be able to download anything if everyone disabled their uploads! ;-) I aim for at least a minimum of 1:1 ratio, if I need to delete or archive the material.

Marduke

Flashaholic
utorrent
Does all I want it to do, and it does it with elegance, simplicity, and a tiny footprint. Try it, I doubt you will contemplate anything else.
BTW disabling uploads kinda goes against the spirit of things. You wouldnt be able to download anything if everyone disabled their uploads! ;-) I aim for at least a minimum of 1:1 ratio, if I need to delete or archive the material.

+1 for utorrent

WNG

Enlightened
+8 for utorrent.

A great app. I find 15KB minimum upload rate is necessary for it to not bog down.

Ummm, your disabling of uploads is probably why your downloads are so slow.

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
+9 for utorrent :p
I have found it is simple and easy to use and have used it for almost 3 years now iirc.

lightr07

Newly Enlightened
+1 for Azureus on Mac. I'm mostly a Mac user and it works well.
-but-
Also +11 for uTorrent on PC.

Cerbera

Newly Enlightened
Wow I'm surprised theres no Azureus for PC!

I personally like all the customization features on Azureus. It is the fastest application that I can configure. I tried utorrent and bittornado, but my speeds were about 2x less than Azureus.

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well for about the past year I've been using Ares to handle torrents, and it has worked fine. But it does suffer from somewhat slow DL speeds and I can't disable uploads. Does anybody have any recommendations for a torrent client which allows for faster speeds and disabling of uploads?

LEECH. LEECH. LEECH. LEECH. LEECH.

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow I'm surprised theres no Azureus for PC!

I personally like all the customization features on Azureus. It is the fastest application that I can configure. I tried utorrent and bittornado, but my speeds were about 2x less than Azureus.

Azureus runs in Java, so you just need to install JRE for Windows (or any other OS) and Azureus will be fine. You do the same for Mac, except that the JRE is preinstalled, IIRC.

Last edited:

Cerbera

Newly Enlightened

Have you tried port-forwarding, configuring the tcp connection attemps, enable the three networks, set the file priorities to high. Also, I tried lowering the upload speeds and disabling them in other torrent applications, but I found that by doing so I have unreliable and almost no conneciton. I use this guide to configure my upload speeds.

Last edited:

Illum

Flashaholic
LukeA said:
LEECH. LEECH. LEECH. LEECH. LEECH.

I am forced to limit my upload to 10Kb/s since the computer is on a router and shares bandwidth with 2 other computers....some unknown reason my router resets connections whenever I exceed 40kb/s

but when I'm the only computer on...upload is ALWAYS AROUND 35kb/s:twothumbs