help me open my 50mw DX greenie (not the newwish)

Coop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tilburg, the Netherlands (perfectly reachable by U
Are you sure? Because the pics look like a Newwish. Even the user submitted pics look like newwish. Even the manual and the box look like newwish...

And cheaper brand?? last time I bought a Newwish laser, newwish WAS the cheaper brand...

teaken

Newly Enlightened
but taking apart the cheaper version reveals a newwish laser module, or it did for the one I took apart anyway.

aussiebuddha

Enlightened
yeah, actually It looks just like the newwish, might be a newwish for all i know.

I've searched laserpointerforums and found the wood and vise method, but i figured, if i tried with pliers and did not work, why wood and vise would?

there might be glue i need to melt.. bugger i already scartched it pretty badly.
when and if i manage to open it a mod, i might try to polish the whole thing.

Corona

Enlightened
there might be glue i need to melt...
Be careful - if there is a thread locking compound holding it together, you'll need to apply quite a lot of heat and this will very likely damage the laser diode and/or any plastic optics. Ditto for trying solvents to dissolve the glue (melting of optics / coatings / plastic bits inside being the problem).

Mechanical force is probably your best bet and you might try "crunching" the outer barrel around & around a few times, to weaken the glue or whatever, then pulling it apart. Since you've buggered the finish, you have nothing to lose. By working the brass barrel in this way, you may manage to actually relax the knurled fit between the mating parts, as well as any glue that may be in there.

Everett

Newly Enlightened
I've opened this model up. The above post says it all--crunch it a little and then just twist and pull. The only trick is to make sure the pliers gripping the main body are holding it a little ways back so they're not squeezing the module inside and making it harder to move.
In reference to some previous parts of this thread: I opened my DX 50mW (the cheap one) and the brass diode housing has "New Wish www.newwishlasers.com" engraved on it. Not very ambiguous now...

aussiebuddha

Enlightened
I've opened this model up. The above post says it all--crunch it a little and then just twist and pull. The only trick is to make sure the pliers gripping the main body are holding it a little ways back so they're not squeezing the module inside and making it harder to move.
In reference to some previous parts of this thread: I opened my DX 50mW (the cheap one) and the brass diode housing has "New Wish www.newwishlasers.com" engraved on it. Not very ambiguous now...

so, the diode module comes with the cap?
you also scratched the finish, right?