10W LED, have you fellas seen it yet?

Jarhead

Banned
This is the production release news, the development news was earlier this year:

NOTE: 200 Lumens blows away the Luxeon 5W at 87-127 Lumens(yes, they definitely do vary this much, 30% in light output)

January 10, 2003 - United Epitaxy Corporation has introduced what it claims is the world's first 10 watt high-power LED. The device is made by bonding a AlGaInP epiwafer to a silicon substrate and then removing the GaAs substrate from the epiwafer. A metal layer inserted between the epiwafer and the silicon substrate reflects light that would otherwise be absorbed by the silicon. Chip size is 2.5 x 2.5 mm2 and provides a total flux of more than 200 lumens. [Article in Compound Semiconductor]

http://compoundsemiconductor.net/magazine/article/8/12/2/1

/me predicts a pricewar now...

Lighthouse

Enlightened
Dalmation spots, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif I got Dalmation spots just from reading the post. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Wow! just think of the new horizons of possible mods that await us. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I heard about a 10-watter last spring, but this is the first evidence I've seen of one in a finished state of manufacture. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif
I don't know all the specs yet, so please don't email me asking about these. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Jonathan

Enlightened
Interesting and exciting, however look at the numbers. They get 200 lumen of red with 12W of input. Contrast this to a Luxeon getting 40 lumen of red/orange with 1W of input. I don't expect a price war just yet...but we can hope for one soon /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

-Jon

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
I am SO glad I did not epoxy the heads in place on most mods, especially the larger ones.

To quote the long-lost Aragorn: "It's RETROFIT time!"

lambda

Flashlight Enthusiast
A very nice read; thanks for pointing it out.

However, don't dismiss the 5W Luxeon just yet. A BIN W 5W Luxeon can produce up to 192 lumens, and a BIN X 5W Luxeon can produce up to 250 Lumens. And Luxeons do this at only 5W, not 10W as with the LED in the article. I have experimented with some BIN W 5Ws, and they are very bright. BIN X Luxeons have been produced in limited quantities already.

And since Luxeons are available right now, I'd say the United Epitaxy guys are a little behind in the game already.

NightStorm

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
lambda said:
And since Luxeons are available right now, I'd say the United Epitaxy guys are a little behind in the game already.

[/ QUOTE ]

Let the games begin.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif

Dan

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
lambda said:
A very nice read; thanks for pointing it out.

However, don't dismiss the 5W Luxeon just yet. A BIN W 5W Luxeon can produce up to 192 lumens, and a BIN X 5W Luxeon can produce up to 250 Lumens. And Luxeons do this at only 5W, not 10W as with the LED in the article. I have experimented with some BIN W 5Ws, and they are very bright. BIN X Luxeons have been produced in limited quantities already.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ohh lah lah! I would pay $100 USD for a bin X 5 watt pure white......... nah, maybe $80 USD... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif 250 lumens + 30mm optics + reflective coating = /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif + Dalmation spots + /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
that's for sure nerd!!!

imagine overdriving that thing!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

maybe dd'ing an x3e on 3 d cells...water-cooled of course /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
or i could pop it into a custom 2aa body dd...

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast
What? Are you NUTs? I would use a peltier to cool it down to -40 degrees celsius! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
I sure would like to see the result of direct driving a 5 watt with 2AAs that Roth is planning to do...

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
actually, it would work quite well, since the voltage requirement for an "e" bin (as in x3e) is between 2.31 and 2.55v /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
You'd need a second battery back just for the peltier /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif And massive heat sinks and fans... Hmm, probably just better to go with a backpack mounted refigeration plant to get that temperature. You could run super cooled glycol to the head via flexable tubing. You'd look like a ghostbuster, but you could get your -40.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast
x3e = new breed of LS 5 watters, 2.31-2.55 volts. Asuming 2.55 volts, we get 1.9 amps, asuming 2.31 volts, we get 2.16 amps... cool! Wait.. I mean... HOT! Alkys will die under that load in no time at all, Nimhs won't fare too well either..

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nerd, aren't the 5 watt basically 4 1 watt dies in a 2 series parallel configuration? If so then that means that each die is needing only 1.16 volts or so. I wonder if there is any chance we'll see that improvement made back into the 1 watt ones. You could put that into a single AA light without any circuitry at all! Wouldn't run for long on a AAA, but thats not the point /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
ok james, i think it is time for you to disect a 5w emitter and cut out 3 of the dies, then hook it back up so it only has one, then see if it lights up as bright as a 1w on only a aa cell /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Uh James, why 1.16 volts? You refering to the reds? Amber? Red-orange? I don't remember 5 watts in those colours... and.. urm... why 1.16 volts?

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK, so maybe I'm confused, but if so then it's your fault /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

"x3e = new breed of LS 5 watters, 2.31-2.55 volts"

if a 5 watt is 2 sets of 2 1 watt dies in series, then 2.31 / 2 = 1.16 for each one isn't it? And no, you're right there aren't any red ones in 5 watt.

Rothrandir: OK, I'll start disecting my Mr Bulk NexNeedle right now /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif Oh maybe not, I don't think it's an x3e rated bulb...