Popular Mechanics Disaster Survial Article

Dr Jekell

Enlightened
There was the thread about the PM article in the August issue.

They have recently put it up on their website for those who wish to view it.

P.S. There are no prizes for finding the Pic of the BlackSurefire L2

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Nice link with a LOT of good info links inside as well...Thanks for sharing that with us!

Last edited:

scott.cr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, thanks for posting. Since today is 9/11 I guess I will mention this. Prior to 9/11/2001 I was an average (ie. complacent) American. 9/11 has changed me in a number of ways.

During the days after the attack I was feeling depressed and wanted to listen to some type of news radio while driving to work. I happened across the Rush Limbaugh show. For a few days after the attacks, even Rush put politics aside and made what I thought were heartfelt comments and insights about who, why and how we were attacked. Bear in mind this was before the general al Quaida news stories hit the mainstream; the "who" was still a mystery. This was a big relief to me, as the public in general still had no clue what the big picture was, even for days after the event.

With news reports of some gasoline stations suddenly jacking prices to $6++ for a gallon--at the time considered outrageous, heh--I started to thinking about the L.A. riots related to the Rodney King trial. At the time I had a girlfriend to protect (now my wife) so I wanted to cover her as feasibly as possible for "all" contingencies: She was the primary reason behind my sudden and fervent interest in self-sufficiency, the art of urban survival, and avoidance of civil unrest.

Back then I probably went overboard with the survival kit I put in my then-girlfriend's car, but that represented a lot of peace of mind for both of us. As it stands now, both of us carry enough supplies for 72 hours of car camping if need be, and my kit includes enough gear for me to walk a 50-mile radius in medium-difficulty conditions.

This thread has a current discussion of survival gear... I know there are hundreds of others, but this one is currently active.

MarNav1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another fun option is watching Survivorman. Lot's of idea's and he's funny too.