2 D Maglite Led Mod

pete200000

Newly Enlightened
Hi fellow candlepower light modders, i am curious as to what the best way to solder a bulb into a pr style base because i've broken the glass & gutted the interior of the pr style bulb base and it is ready to recieve the led light. I just need to know the best way to solder it in securly and whether or not i should get a hot glue gun to seal the led bulb in the casing.

Thanks Alot! Sincerely,
Peter Charles Bellantoni Junior

StuU

Enlightened
You can buy a tiny brass screw at your local hardware store. Push this into the bottom opening. Solder a resistor to the screw if you need to. Solder the positive led lead to the resistor. Use the notch on the rim to solder the negative led lead. Fill the bulb with hot glue or epoxy.

I usually break out the bottom insulator and replace this with a nylon tophat spacer also available at the hardware store. Match the brass screw size to the nylon spacer to cut down on wiggle room. It's best to cut the spacer down to about 1/8 inch depth, just enough to hold itself in the bulb barrel.

pete200000

Newly Enlightened
does anyone have pictures of what stuu is talking about because this is the first ever mod i've done to a flashlight and i'd like it to be 100% removabale in case i want to put a different bulb in such as a 3.6v xenon or krypton bulb or a different colored led light. I also would like to know where to order led lights online.

Thanks Again!, Sincerely,

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
he is talking about making a custom bulb i believe, i'm not exactly sure what kind /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

if your looking for brightness, and don't have access to a lathe, it might be best to purchase an epion or ledsupply pr2 led (i don't know what he ledsupply led is called...).

they just drop into the bulb socket just like any other bulb. i don't think the ledsuppy bulb is ready yet, but it sounds very promising, being able to go from 1 to 8 batteries!

pete200000

Newly Enlightened
i am trying to make a custom bulb rothrandir /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif. I already smashed and dug out a pr style bulb to prepare to solder the led light bulb in and i was wondering if anyone had photos of how they did it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif. Hope to get more help with my futer crazy light mod projects /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif.

Thanks Again!

Sincerely,