• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired SOLD! X Bin HD45 with All The Trimmings!

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just got some Lux5 XWOS emitters from PhotonFanatic, and after doing some in-house tests (turns out they're quite good!), decided to mount the first one in a beautiful HD45 I've had for a bit. The host itself is excellent, maybe 95/100 in terms of condition.

img-hd45-xwos-parts.jpg

Given the special nature of the XWOS emitter, I took the opportunity to tweak the light a bit in general... includes a prototype Moeman spiral elastic-cord lanyard, consisting of paracord on the outside and elastic shock cord on the inside, designed to cinch around one's wrist for secure (and decorative) carry... 3M Solas marine-grade retroreflective tape on the butt end for excellent visibility... four glow rings in the grooves toward the head end, for overall appearance plus a subtle locator glow, not too bright but cool nonetheless... silicone O-rings for high quality battery tube seal with smooth action...

img-hd45-xwos-lux5.jpg

Then there's the Lux5 XWOS emitter itself, which to my eyes is roughly equivalent to the legendary X-bins of MR-X flashlight fame, terrific brightness and tint with that beefy beam the Lux5 is known for...

img-hd45-xwos-reflector.jpg

Lens is the usual thick polycarbonate that comes with the stock HD45, with what seems to be an anti-reflective coating (sorry, not quite up on whether the stock lenses shipped with AR or not)... the lens is not perfectly mint but about as close as one will find in any HD45 that's seen actual use, and most importantly, the entire central portion is pristine so beam quality is excellent...

img-hd45-xwos-head.jpg

Both lens and reflector were cleaned gently using a good quality microfiber cloth, silicone overspill was removed from around the Lux5 dome (Luxeons typically have a little excess silicone sitting around the base of the dome, and over time it would normally fall into the reflector and lodge in places on the surface)...

img-hd45-xwos-tail.jpg

img-hd45-xwos-reflective.jpg

The retroreflective Solas tape is hard to photograph in action, but the above photos hopefully give you the idea: off-axis it looks a bit like the honeycombs of a beehive... BUT when light hits it at the appropriate angle, the whole surface glows as if it were a piece from some sort of alien spaceship.

img-hd45-xwos-corner.jpg

Beam quality is excellent! To the left is a corner in the Milky Labs, lit with a few hundred watts of tungsten and halogen lighting... to the right is the same corner with the HD45 set to high beam and pointed directly into the corner. Exceptionally tight hotspot and very even, plus a generous amount of sidespill all around. Tint is a neutral to ever so SLIGHTLY warm white, as if a half-teaspoon of vanilla extract were blended into an otherwise white beam.

In terms of performance, the XWOS does well. In this light's previous form it housed a WWOT emitter... here is a relative measurement of high beam performance before and after the XWOS installation... note that the numbers themselves don't mean much in absolute terms, but should reflect accurately on the relative performance of the two emitters...

WWOT (before mod): 861 spits
XWOS (after mod): 1172 spits

Not bad given the post-mod version of the light may actually consume a little LESS juice than the pre-mod version! It should be noted that the WWOT was a good performer itself, highlighting what the XWOS can do. :naughty:

Cost: $225 plus shipping...
SOLD! To Rommul

Shipping to USA uninsured costs $5.
Shipping to USA with insurance costs a total of $12.
Shipping internationally costs $29 via EMS with tracking and up to $100 insurance coverage.

A note on insurance: I cannot cover lost or damaged packages (only a one-man shop after all)... so if you're concerned about this risk, please order insurance on your package. That said, so far I've never actually had a package lost... so this is purely optional. Your call either way!

Note for international customers: I need to declare the same value for Customs that I do for insurance... please keep this in mind and tell me how much to declare as the value of your package. Up to $100 insurance coverage can be included in your shipment at no extra charge, more insurance would cost you additional, Please let me know if you wish that.

First 'I'll take it' in this thread has priority so long as the buyer sends payment in reasonable time. PM me after posting here, to receive Paypal info and confirm that you're the recipient of the light.

Hope I did this right! :ohgeez: Also hope this little puppy finds a good home.

Last edited:

TranquillityBase

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: X Bin HD45 with All The Trimmings!

Nice job SpitsHighFluxMaster :thumbsup:

The perfect host for the X bin

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: FS: X Bin HD45 with All The Trimmings!

Thanks for the kind words, guys. :eek:

This item is still for sale, though there is a nibbler behind the scenes... :whistle:

Rommul

Enlightened

I can stand it anymore!

I'll take it :)

PM me paypal info.

Rommul

Enlightened

Just sent pp with a little extra for insurance.

Would it be possible for me to request you send it via USPS ?

PS Never realised you were Jersey, it shouldn't take long to get to the Bronx then :)

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast

Just sent pp with a little extra for insurance.

Would it be possible for me to request you send it via USPS ?

PS Never realised you were Jersey, it shouldn't take long to get to the Bronx then :)

Got it, Rommul. Your package goes out tomorrow via US Postal Priority Mail with insurance. :thumbsup:

Rommul

Enlightened
All arrived safe and sound.

I can't believe how compact this light is.