Not open for further replies.

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is that a Flashlight in your pocket -
or are you just pleased to see me?
(with apologies to Mae West)

EDC = EveryDay Carry -

So what's in your pockets?
other than the expected wallet and keys - what Flashlights and gadgets are there for your everyday carry?

I have 3 different EDC combinations - for

(1) normal out of my house EDC
(2) at home
(3) air travel

(1) normal - out of my house -
EDC_out3_S.jpg

left to right
Victorinox Scientist model - with customized handles - carried in a SackUp (underneath the knife)
Dorcy LED 1AAA - single AAA cell white LED flashlght - this replaces the Ultra-G mainly because of the momentary push-ON tail-switch - but see these threads:
Dorcy 1AAA vs. ArcAAA vs. Ultra-G
Dorcy 1AAA #2 (vs ArcAAA vs Ultra-G vs Dorcy #1)
Canon PowerShot A70 - 3Mp digicam - yes, I do carry it everyday and everywhere on a neoprene belt pouch - I take a lot of photos (checkout the photos via the url in my sig - several of my photos are on band's web sites)
Photon 1 Yellow - LED light on my keyring - been there for over 6+ years and battery's still fine - at one time my only light, that's a belt clip for carrying the keys.

(2) at Home
Remember at home I would have pretty easy access to all my lights and tools and knives - so I only carry on my person:
EDC_home3_S.jpg

left to right
Kershaw/Ken Onion LEEK - Speed-Safe assisted opening frame-lock - fast, easy access, sleek/slim and "right-sized" for me.
Another Dorcy LED 1AAA - replaces another Ultra-G.

(3) Air Travel -
with air travel security - my EDC is different for when I have to travel by Air, I try to minimize my carry -
EDC_air3_S.jpg

left to right
Victorinox Yeoman - as is, carried in a SackUp - placed in checked luggage for actual air travel, carried in pocket after arriving at destination - I do this because I do not want any possibility of losing my normal EDC customized SAK - also an unmodified SAK is easily recognizable and not usually regarded as a weapon.
Canon PowerShot A70 - 3Mp digicam - as above
Photon 1 Yellow - on keyring - as above - but when abroad I do not have to carry my keys, so I am light-less so to speak, and often am caught wishing I had my light on me - I may well remove the Photon 1 Yellow from the keyring to carry, or think about taking the Dorcy LED 1AAA or Ultra-G.

So what do you EDC?

Do your EDCs vary?

Show us pics... please.

[edit: Mar/16/2004 - changed photo hosting]

Thread continued from Part 1

Last edited:

Bort

Newly Enlightened
Fenix P2d, using Ultralast RC123 3.0v, or L1d ce using NiMH. Used everyday at work.

Culhain

Enlightened
Current EDC keyring light is the 3LED Peak Matterhorn. I'm just starting to EDC the Fenix P1 CE after giving it a few weeks test at work.

My favorite EDC pocket knives are either a SAK Soldier model or A. G. Russell's small Gentleman's Lockback. My SAK Soldier came with a very stiff back spring and after I convexed and stropped the edge has a habit of deeply cutting the unwary. So I now request proof of health insurance from anyone asking to use it.

Under consideration for future EDC purchases are the new SF L1, a Case CV model and a SAK Cadet.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Fairly minimal here: Photon Proton, Fenix E0, keychain with Arc AAA, Leatherman Micra, Zebra telescoping pen, cash, driver's license, credit card. Sometimes I'll add a Chive.

Geoff

lightr07

Newly Enlightened
Not much has changed here. E1L/e, Cash, Motorola Q and sometimes gum.

FlashSpyJ

Enlightened
2007-09-08001Medium.jpg

Top left: spare CR123 batt (Fenix P2D)
Tin: earplugs, aspirin, spare AAA (Fenix L0D)
Green cannister: Swedish military lip balm
Green plastic thingy: Plastic toothpicks

Leatherman and P2D goes in pants pocket, the rest in jacket.

herbicide

Newly Enlightened
Phone - SE K750i
Wallet - plasters, 1st class stamps also included
SAK Voyager and/or LM Juice KF4
Keyring - Keys, Fauxton, 2x spy capsules (money and pro-plus, glo-toob battery), pendrive (DX Micro SD adapter, 1Gb card)
Torch - DX AAA Cree and/or Fenix P1D CE plus spare battery as applicable.

Dr.K

Enlightened
-S&W Jframe .38 special 5 shot in desantis pocket holster
-benchmade assisted open D2 osbourne
-keychain w/LOD CE
-Fenix P3D rebel
-chain wallet
-cell phone

flashlights vary, pistols vary, the rest is constitutional

Khaytsus

Enlightened
Left Pocket:
P2D CE
Keys

Left Cargo Pocket (Zippered):
Surefire E1e
Ibuprofen in small bottle
Silva compass
Eye drops

Left Cargo Pocket (Velcro flap):
Gum
Lip balm
Allergy eye drops

Right Pocket:
Electronic work badge
Current receipts or small papers
Coins

Right Cargo Pocket (Velcro Flap):
Bluetooth GPS
Microfibre cloth/bag (for Oakleys)
2.5mm->3.5mm headset adapter (listen to Treo in car/headphones)
Koss The Plug earbuds in small snapping container
Detachable wrist lanyard (other side is on P2D)
Mini Gel Pen

On Belt:
Treo 680
Gerber multitool

FYI, cargo jean pants + Above = 10 pounds or so.

THE_dAY

Flashlight Enthusiast
here's my daily carry:

keychain: house key, photonUV370nm, MillerMods Arc AAA, swisstech utilikey, car key
edc1ty5.jpg

RAZR V3c
edc2md4.jpg

wallet
edc3qg6.jpg

hoping to add the new HDS120 as well!

racer7

Newly Enlightened
I'm a technical exec who plays on racetracks on weekends. I do not wear stuff on my belt - goes in the pockets or gets left behind.

The knife - a Swiss Army Classic. Tiny and useful, definitely not much of a weapon despite the fantasies of our govt types. (Choking someone would probably be easier than cutting their throat with one of these and a garrot made from a hunk of wire and some pen stubs would be a big step up). I own a mess of these and have them everywhere like cheap ballpoint pens. Used to carry larger stuff but I use the little scissors and toothpick as much as the blade and never really needed a larger blade much except to clean fish or deer. For the latter I like a good 3 1/2 -4" folding blade and for the former a 6" or 9" filet knife, depending on the size of the fish.

The lights - A P1D-CE in natural finish modded with Seoul and McR20
ala Nereus - the beam is better for inspections than
stock Cree both in form and color.
And a Draco in TiCN on the keyring of the most used DD
and a photon on the keyrings of less used vehicles.

Lights at home are, of course, way too many. The nightstand holds an Electrolumens 4AAA, 3 led model with hi/lo output, an FM85, and whatever I'm playing with at the moment. And there's a 6D NiMH Mag11 nearby. Curiosities like the LarryK14 mostly sit near the workbench/charging stations except when in use. And there's a mess of hotwires plus pro-polys, modded mags, and assorted Inovas like the T5 in drawers, on shelves, desks and tables here and there.

Vehicles hold 3 or 4 cell C or D Maglites with Malkoff inserts or similar mods or a complete Malkoff modded light in the door pockets (2 per vehicle) plus an Inova X5 in the glovebox that has long run time (up to 20 hrs), 123s that won't die from age quickly, and more than ample floody beam for any night automotive repair tasks or hikes. Ridealong lights on temporary duty can include various hotwires with a lot more punch than the led lights - these include various 2 to 5 C types running AWs batts and the softstarter that gives output choices but may include X D to Y AA NiMH types in D bodies, etc. I especially like 2C 1111s or 3C 1185s with AW softstarters and similar as a nice compromise of plenty of light, passable runtime and smallish size (for the output). (Still evaluating 5761s with various reflector types to see if I like that type as well as the others)

So in a vehicle I always have at least 5 lights handy (3 in the vehicle plus 2 on me) and always at least 2 unless I'm naked someplace other than my home and far removed from my clothing. The pocket EDCs are all led, not incans. I've never counted how many I always have charged and ready to go at home but I guess its never under 15 to 20 that are a mix of led and incan. Total runtime options available to me never go below that of the P1D-CE on low output with a partially used batt - around 10 hrs for a 1/2 used cell - plus whatever is in the Draco or photon where I pay less attention to having a fresh batt installed. Usually, its a lot more with a lot more output potential when needed - many days if I'm at home.

My EDC/vehicle set does not ideally address specialized requirements such as night search where both high power and long run time are needed though the mix of lights available provides more than decent capability. Incans give better light quality for search than led (too little red wavelengths) but an ideal combo of long run (6+ hours), big power (at least 800-1000 lumen vicinity) and light weight / small size is not a common type of light. I find that FMs bigger spot reflectors (like the 2.5") provide better long range target definition from the same lamp than if it is equipped with a MOP reflector, though the beam of the latter covers an area better and is the best general use choice, IMO. I am a regular user of HIDs in cars but not in handhelds, yet, so don't have opinions of where they might best fit in either my mix or anyone elses.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I was told just a while ago by an HPD Sargent that the law has changed and it's no longer against here in TX to have a pistol in vehicle. It may not be flashed around, and must be out of plain site.

Me thinks maybe one of my 9MM is gonna be in my truck.

Besides that (and I don't recall if I mentioned my change of phone to a Nokia 6126) I don't think anything else has changed.

tussery

Enlightened
I was told just a while ago by an HPD Sargent that the law has changed and it's no longer against here in TX to have a pistol in vehicle. It may not be flashed around, and must be out of plain site.

Me thinks maybe one of my 9MM is gonna be in my truck.

Besides that (and I don't recall if I mentioned my change of phone to a Nokia 6126) I don't think anything else has changed.
Yeah it became legal with the Castle Law if I recall correctly.

Dirty Bob

Newly Enlightened
  • Gunner's Alley gunbelt with Longhorns belt buckle :D
  • Kel-Tec P-11 9mm OR Makarov 9x18mm in Galco Horsehide "USA" holster, worn in appendix position. May be worn under an untucked shirt, or tucked, depending on how I'm dressed. For the opera, I tuck in my shirt and wear a tie. :grin2:
  • Spare mag (9x18mm ball, or 9x19mm ball) in modified knife pouch, worn openly on left hip.
  • Fixed blade, all-stainless skinning knife (home modified from a Jantz Supply blade), on keyring, in homemade Kydex® sheath.
  • Utili-Key on keyring.
  • Inova T1 in left front pants pocket, next to wallet. Considering adding a Fenix L1D CE for the daily flashlight duties, with the T1 as the backup.
  • Handkerchief, in right front pants pocket, with keys.
  • Spare light, often a River Rock 2AAA clipped to collar of v-neck t-shirt, or CMG Utility 1AA on neck chain, or Streamlight Stylus in shirt pocket.
  • Pentel Client (an inexpensive, sturdy, all-metal pen) in shirt pocket.
  • Change purse (leather) in left rear pants pocket.
  • Seiko SGG707 Titanium watch.
  • Kyocera KE433 cell phone (Virgin Mobile).
Frequently:
  • Palm m125 PDA.
  • Logitech keyboard for Palm.
Regards,
Dirty Bob

Last edited:

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
CIMG0046.jpg
CIMG0047.jpg

CIMG0048.jpg

This is my second post! sorry about the picture blurriness, i have no idea whats going on with my camera, anyway

from top:

1) Victorinox SAK model: Signature (plan to upgrade to minichamp soon)
2)Mini-sharpie
3)Generic Bottle Opener (will be removed once i get my minichamp)
4) Keys
5) LRI Photonlight X-Light Mirco
6) Fenix P1D- CE at full birhgtness (135 lumens)
7) Fenix P1D- CE

I chose all of this stuff to maximise ease of carry, i honestly dont want to be lugging a regular sized victorinox around, plus in my country, its illegal to carry any thing that can be construed as a weapon, so im probably pushing it as it is :drool:

By the way, all those photos,except the shot of the P1 turned on, were taken with the light of a G2Z with p61 lamp upgrade, bounced off a wall,i dont really like the artificial looking light of a camera flash.

Anyway, its great to be in this forum, for the longest time i thought i was the only wierd homosaipien obsessing over lumen ratings, and flashlights.

THE_dAY

Flashlight Enthusiast
hey CFU, i use the same lanyard for my Arc AAA too on days when i don't need to carry my keys.

btw, where are your keys? and phone?

Status
Not open for further replies.