looking for a specific multitool

neo.cerberus

Newly Enlightened
Greetings everyone!
I am looking for a multi tool to give as a gift to my brother. He is majoring in electrical engineering. I am looking for a multi tool that has multiple screwdrivers of multiple sizes and wire cutters/strippers/pliers. I don't think he would necessarily need a knife but if it has one i'm sure he can find a use for it. He is mainly going to be working with circuit boards and soldering stuff so again, a tool with multiple sizes of Phillips screwdrivers would be ideal. thanks for reading!

Last edited:

SolarFlare

Enlightened
Hi neo.cerberus, and welcome to CPF :grin2:

I'd recommend the swisstool x plus, it has several different screwdrivers, perfect for dismantling comps etc. and it also has a standard size mini wrench in the case, so your brother can pick up the exact bits that best suit his needs and put them in the handy little holder. Here's an example I'm sure you can find it cheaper with a bit of research.

piney12

Newly Enlightened
Hi neo.cerberus, and welcome to CPF :grin2:

I'd recommend the swisstool x plus, it has several different screwdrivers, perfect for dismantling comps etc. and it also has a standard size mini wrench in the case, so your brother can pick up the exact bits that best suit his needs and put them in the handy little holder. Here's an example I'm sure you can find it cheaper with a bit of research.

Leatherman Squirt E4 all the stuff you want and the best wire strippers I've ever used.

RebelRAM

Enlightened
There are many choices for multitools out there, I'd recommend the Swisstools and Gerbers. But here's another idea, if wire strippers/cutters/pliers is a big feature to have, which is sounds like it is. May I suggest that you go ahead and get him a good multitool, but also spend a few bucks more and get him a set of Klein wire strippers.
http://www.mytoolstore.com/klein/11055.html
Find the size that matches what gauge wire he will most often be working with. I really do appreciate having a good multitool, but at the same time if you work with wire a lot, having a good pair of wire strippers is worth it's weight in gold!

CLHC

Flashaholic
Greetings and Welcome to CPF!

Hope you find what you're looking for and Enjoy!

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Leatherman Charge or Wave series with the optional bit kits. The bits are interchangable/removable so slotted, Philips, Robertson, Torx, metric/standard hex (Allen) and precision screwdriver bits can be used and swapped out. I think there are 44 different types available as the bits are double-sided.

An extension that snaps into the bit holder will use the narrow bits that come with the tool or 1/4 inch hex bits can be used. The extension is very handy when removing recessed screws. If there is say...a "security" torx or something that he runs into every day, it can be stored on the extension. The extension sides in the small side pocket in the holster. The other side pocket can be used for a single AAA flashlight, a 4" adjustable wrench or Fisher Space Pen. I use two Charge leather holsters on my belt to hold the three trays of bits in one and the Leatherman Charge Ti in the other. Those four little side pockets are filled with the extension, 4" adjustable wrench, Peak Baltic AAA stainless steel flashlight and Fisher Space Pen.

I am with RebelRam, if he strips a lot of wire...get the Kleins! For soldering, a "third hand", kleins, hemostats and a lighted magnifier make it much easier.

NeitherExtreme

Newly Enlightened
I think the Squirt E4 could be a great idea. It's got the wirestripers and is small enough to not bother him or tempt him to leave it a home :eek: The wave/charge/surge tools seem like a great idea too because of the interchangable bits and convenient sheath. If he'll want a long reaching phillips the Core will be you're best bet...

Don't know if this will help, but here's a thread by a computer tech reviewing a number of tools...
http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,2248.0.html

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the Squirt E4 could be a great idea. It's got the wirestripers and is small enough to not bother him or tempt him to leave it a home :eek: The wave/charge/surge tools seem like a great idea too because of the interchangable bits and convenient sheath. If he'll want a long reaching phillips the Core will be you're best bet...

Well put,
To be the uber-geek, just include the bit extender and throw a AAA LED light into the mix. The Charge holster has two small pockets to hold them.

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Now we're talking! This man's got the idea:twothumbs

It gets worse, much worse!
If you step to the uber-geek batman belt wanna-be of multi-tools...do the following.
Get a Leatherman Charge (Ti, ALi, ALX, TTi, XTi or whatever) Order the optional bit extension, order the optional two trays of extra bits and order a spare leather holster.
Place all three trays of bits in the spare leather holster. This makes the main holster holding the tool thinner and have easier access to the three bit trays.
Notice that you now have FOUR pockets that will hold things. I use them to hold a Fisher space pen, a 100mm (4 inch) adjustable wrench, the optional bit extension and a Peak stainless steel Baltic 1xAAA Seoul LED light. Both holsters slide on your belt (one on each side of the belt loop) which help hold your belt secure when going to the bathroom. :)
I wear mine everyday with my shirt covering the holsters. The look on people's faces when I pull out extensions, dozens of bits, flashlights, pens and a wrench from those holsters is priceless.
Pulling the plastic card from my wallet that is wrapped with a meter of duct tape... that pushes them over the edge. :D

Last edited:

NeitherExtreme

Newly Enlightened
It gets worse, much worse!
The look on people's faces when I pull out extensions, dozens of bits, flashlights, pens and a wrench from those holsters is priceless.
Pulling the plastic card from my wallet that is wrapped with a meter of duct tape... that pushes them over the edge. :D

:huh: That's pretty serious stuff! You've got a whole toolbox under your shirt. :thumbsup:
I've thought about doing the duct-tape thing many times. Do you use it often? It sure would come in handy sometimes, but I'm not sure I'm secure enough to actually pull that out in front of someone! :ohgeez:

Dantor

Enlightened
Welcome! Did you get him something yet? They gave you good suggestions and recently I've been seeing SAKs "Electricians" they are less expensive or could be a nice compliment/combo with the beefier multi-tools :)

Dantor

Enlightened
So many choices! (my meager collection :D)
8fax9gh.jpg