Montessori schools?

RA40

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do any of you with Pre-K and K level kids have them enrolled in a Montessori program? If so, I'd like to get your thoughts as to how you feel about the school or program.

You are welcome to post here or PM me.

mahoney

Enlightened
I don't have kids in a Montessori school, but I attended one from age 7 to age 15. It didn't completely ruin my life (or maybe it did and I just don't know it), I got good grades when I got to "real" school, I got into an OK college... Seriously though, done right, Montessori provides a very rich environment that fosters habits of self and group learning with a high degree of flexibility for kids with differing attention spans. Done wrong, well... The best advice I can offer is to visit the school and watch for a couple of hours on a typical day.

Grubbster

Enlightened
My youngest child just started Montessori school a few weeks ago. So far, so good. I was unfamiliar with the system until recently, but it looks like it has some merit, especially at the pre-K and K levels you are asking about. My girl has a December birthday and is too young for kindergarten, so this was our only option to get her out of daycare and into a learning environment. She likes it much better than daycare and is happier now. If everything goes well we will probably keep her there next year and then put her into public school for first grade. I really have a problem with public schools, but private school is very expensive. Also I am concerned that a child can become too advanced when in private education and when the switch is made to public school, the child can loose interest and become bored.
Good luck with your decision.

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
We sent our child to Montessori for two years before all day Kindergarten. That was in 1988-89 but we'd do it again. Highly recommended.

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
A friend of mine just recently removed her daughter from the Montessori pre-school because, "they turn on the TV for the kids to watch every morning and afternoon," and I think the other reason was, "they give them cake for dessert." I guess she really wants to raise a "perfect" child...lol. Other than that, though, I've always heard they were good schools.

axolotls

Enlightened
A friend of mine just recently removed her daughter from the Montessori pre-school because, "they turn on the TV for the kids to watch every morning and afternoon," and I think the other reason was, "they give them cake for dessert." I guess she really wants to raise a "perfect" child...lol. Other than that, though, I've always heard they were good schools.

That's absolute hogwash. Montessori strictly forbids computers, television and junk food in their school time curriculum. Your friend either got conned or whatever.

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
My suggestion is register as a volunteer and attend a regular class during their math and language arts block and see how engaged the children are and the ability of the teacher to teach, ask for the lesson plan book of that week and the curriculum roadmap to get a glimpse of what they will be teaching for the next months, ask for the cafeteria menu while your at it, check out the school library to see what kind of books they will use.

AlexGT

Essexman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Montessori = learning through play.

I live in the UK, so bear in mind I know nothing about the U.S. schooling system. My little girl went to a Montessori pre school from the age of 2.5 to 4. Before she started we went to a few places (non Montessori) to see for ourselves what went on, and asked lots of question.

The Montessori was very structured and organised, which my daughter likes. Remember with the little ones routine is king. I should add that at home we are also fairly organised and structured, or should I say, we try to be.

We liked the way it was run. Children were taught respect for others. For example, when they had finished playing with an exercise they were expected to return it as it was found, ready for the next child to use.

My daughter has been at "big school" for two years now. I believe her reading /writing skills were average for her age after attending the Montessori. The interesting thing is that it has been recognised by her teachers that she excels in other areas i.e. social skills, confidence talking to others (including adults), helping other children with their work etc. I put this down to part Montessori and of coarse part (super) mum, with a little help from me.

Lastly, when we pass her old Montessori she always says she misses going there. We had to pay extra to send her to Montessori, money well spent.

Coop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tilburg, the Netherlands (perfectly reachable by U
The system works very well if executed right. Especially for kids who have trouble with the 'regular' schooling system (Think kids with ADD/ADHD). The learning through play and structured routine can make a world of difference.

But the key is the proper execution of the Montessori system, and the teachers really have to make sure that the kids are at the level of schooling that is appropriate for their age.

RA40

Flashlight Enthusiast
Glad to hear some positive experiences.

Wife went in on a unscheduled visit and they pretty much locked the place down. She wasn't able to see as much as she would have liked: the classroom, bathroom, food prep areas and ask about teachers background/formal education...only by appointment. (Even though her name is listed on a relative's emergency contact list.)

Her impression of the school in the 40 minutes she was able to observe: Communication between teacher and students at the pre-K and K level were not favorable. She observed two children being placed on a time-out but were left in a corner for beyond 15 minutes without teacher interaction. One child was left unattended and crying during her entire visit.

Hygiene practices were lacking. After playground time, the kids did not wash up but were given food to immediately begin eating. Milk had been left sitting out for about 25 minutes. Eating utensils were handled by teachers who had not washed hands.

Play ground is void of usual play ground items...she described it as more like a putting green with a manicured lawn.

She will go back on a formal visit to observe a longer day schedule.

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have been in the child care (regulation-end) service sector for 33 years both as an inspector and administrator. I will not get drawn into any type of discussion here regarding any real or philosophical benefits of any one specifc type program for obvious reasons. Let it suffice to say that should you not be granted free and ready access to your child or to the facility without the requirement that you notify that facility administration beforehand, be cautious. I would certainly want to hear a rather detailed logical explanation of such a restrictive policy. You figure out why for this discussion and, in the meantime, consult with your local regulatory body in your individual state--they are the experts in safety--your first and last consideration.

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's absolute hogwash. Montessori strictly forbids computers, television and junk food in their school time curriculum. Your friend either got conned or whatever.

I'll have to ask her about it, again. I'm pretty sure I've got the story straight, though. Her child will now be attending the day care at the Sonrise Christian School around the corner of my house. I've been included as one of the emergency contacts and as an additional authorized pick up person.

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
My best friends wife is a Montessori teacher. Thats about all the contact I've had with the philosophy of it specifically. I know some other folks that are really gung ho about it too and it sounds pretty good. If I found a really good Montessori school close by from which I really liked what I saw about the teachers and staff I would have no problem placing my children in it.

However, I dont like what I hear about your particular example of it at all. My son is in pre-pre-school here and while not Montessori, they are not allowed by the state or fed or someone governmentally to put the kids in a time out at all. Young kinds should not be placed in a timeout for 15 minutes or more at all! It's more like 3 or 5 minutes. We do that all the time at home, it's like flipping a switch in his mood. Give him 3 minutes to yell and then calm down and he comes back from his room a different person. It's like a miracle. So I'm all for that as a consequence of bad behavior, but only for a few moments!

There are ALWAYS a couple of kids in his class that have some separation issues, one little girl in particular who is always crying in her teachers arms when I get there to drop my son off. But they never leave her alone to cry! If there are more kids upset than there are arms to hold them they sit together or something until everybody is calmed down.

While it's not possible to make kids of that age remember to wash their hands all the time, they do make a huge effort. After just a month or so in school he now wants to wash his hands at home too after potty and after playtime which he NEVER did voluntarily prior to going to school.

I assume they "locked down" the place because your wife was not a parent and therefore not technically just allowed to wander around. As a parent I would expect to have complete and unfettered access to the place, as a visitor, even a prospective parent, you can't really expect that so that doesn't bug me. But it really does sound like the staff is either lacking, or there aren't enough of them so go very carefully.

As in everything in life, there are rarely obvious perfect choices when it comes to child care. Watching a little TV or not having the best playground equipment or something is not as important as say, 30 kids to a single teacher who isn't able to look out for your kid then or management that isn't living up to the high standard you'd expect and demand!

winston

Enlightened
To Montessori, or not to Montessori: that is the question.

Here's a suggestion you should take a minute to really think about, because it gets lost in the child development debates: Look for the right teacher.
A bad teacher with a great program isn't going to be very helpful to your kid. A great teacher, on the other hand, will get your kids excited about learning stuff. Choose Montessori; or, don't choose Montessori. It's probably not going to make as big a difference as you think. Go see all the teachers you possibly can. Observe them around their students. Observe the students. You'll know it when you've found the right teacher.
-Winston

axolotls

Enlightened
I'll have to ask her about it, again. I'm pretty sure I've got the story straight, though. Her child will now be attending the day care at the Sonrise Christian School around the corner of my house. I've been included as one of the emergency contacts and as an additional authorized pick up person.

If it's true, it could be some person just using the Montesori name to attract students... and unsuspecting parents.

I've read the curriculum and it really sounds like a great system.

mossyoak

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Southland with a RedBull in one hand and iPhon
Also I am concerned that a child can become too advanced when in private education and when the switch is made to public school, the child can loose interest and become bored.
Good luck with your decision.

I was private schooled from k-12, and I have to say thats a very real issue, as now im in a public college and the class load is so easy and light i find myself very unmotivated, and the fact that they dont give a damn if you skip isnt helping either.

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was in a Montessori school prior to Kindergarden (or maybe it was a summer program) back in the early 70s. I remember having a good time and being able to master the simple schooling.. When there is a lack of structure it can be kind of confusing for young children. Your alternatives might not be any better.

RA40

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the discussion...it is insightful.

One reason why this child was placed in the school is it is the parents attempt to delegate parenting to another. This particular child has been in daycare since 6 months and has developed a multitude of areas which are lacking. The Montessorri teacher even noticed some. We suspect that unless they value the $$ more, we are hoping they suggest the child be withdrawn and enrolled at a later time.

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was private schooled from k-12, and I have to say thats a very real issue, as now im in a public college and the class load is so easy and light i find myself very unmotivated, and the fact that they dont give a damn if you skip isnt helping either.

what school is that? I wish I was in your shoes.....

the truth about higher education is that the private universities are often less rigorous than public universities of similar caliber, and the students have an easier time in comparable private schools and receive more attention and support.

Last edited:

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast

I asked her about it, to see if I had my story straight. She said she was receiving candy and watching TV. She said she'd (her child) come home "all strung out on candy" and would keep asking her for more. She also says that other people have all told her that they've heard Montessori schools were great and she thinks that maybe it's just this one. The school is called "Gateway Montessori."