Build your own flashlight?

brettmc

Newly Enlightened
I'm a newcomer here, haven't even lurked. From what little I've seen, I get the idea you folks are building flashlights from parts? I would love to try this. I built an AR-15 from parts and had a blast doing it. I'm gonna be looking around a lot in here but would like to ask yall to post links or info here that will help me get up to speed on rolling my own light. hehe. Thanks,

Brett

Last edited:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Well, if you aren't using a pre-built body like a maglite body, more of a mod, then you'll need a lathe. If you are building LED, you'll also need regulators, thermal paste, the LED, reflectors(Maybe), and heatsinks.

There aren't many threads about building flashlights from scratch. But there are many modding threads where people use lights, mos commonly maglites, and tern them either in to much brighter Incandescent or LED lights.

Welcome to CPF! and Happy building!

mahoney

Enlightened
There are still enough Aleph parts left at the Sandwich Shoppe to build a couple of flavors of flashlight, And the Shoppe is a good source of modding bits for work on other lights too. See the Sandwich Shoppe forum on the CPF board for info and links.

TorchBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, if you aren't using a pre-built body like a maglite body, more of a mod, then you'll need a lathe.
Dependng on how much heat you're counting on you could use a bit of plastic pipe (and a bit more wire). I made a torch from a toilet roll once.