Suggestions on a Floody Flashlight

rubens

Newly Enlightened
Hi!

I´m new to the flashlight world and i needed a nice flood flashlight to use with my bicycle.
I already have a L2D Rb100 and i think i just need a nice flood.

My two options are:

1- Mod my PT Corona with the new nichia NSPW500GS-K1 w bin. (i don´t know if this would be enough though..) - Also, does anybody know where to get them? So far i researched and found some japanese websites that has them but they won´t sell them for internat. buyers..

2- Mod a maglite or any other flashlight with 2-3 ssc p4. Needed a good runtime, complete flood (i read some mods that don´t use reflectors), C, AA batteries (no cr123) and it would be nice if it was regulated

Wich would be the best cost effective choice?

rubens

Newly Enlightened
thanks TorchBoy!

Actually, i don´t know exactly how much in lumens, but i wanted enough flood light to ride at night comfortably (i think the max speed would be 30 mph..)

Meduza

Enlightened
I would use a Maglite 3C in a resistored setup and a PTS loaded with high bin Cree XR-E without reflectors.

That way you get a 70 degree perfect flood with between 200 and 800 lumens depending on what resistor you choose, i would run them on about 700mA each (2.1A total) for 2h runtime on good NiMH cells and at least 400 lumens out front :)

rubens

Newly Enlightened
I´m a first timer on the soldering/modding world, so do you think it´s a simple mod?
I think that for now i´m good with the l2d, so i think i´ll try to make some simple mods so i can go and try something tricky.

Thanks for all your help

Hodsta

Flashlight Enthusiast
Surefire L4, McGizmo Mule, Milky L1 Flood, also the Zebralight maybe woth checking out but I'm yet to recieve mine.

Out of all the abone the Mule is the floodiest (if indeed that is a word) but it is expensive compared to the others.

JamisonM

Enlightened
2- Mod a maglite or any other flashlight with 2-3 ssc p4. Needed a good runtime, complete flood (i read some mods that don´t use reflectors), C, AA batteries (no cr123) and it would be nice if it was regulated

Wich would be the best cost effective choice?
I'd recommend it. A modded maglite with either a cree or scc emitter driven at 1 amp will be very bright. Take the reflector out of the maglite and you'll have nothing, but flood. Right now, Gene has a sale on his D cell maglite drop-ins and they're in stock. For $65, you can get one of if not the best drop-ins available for a D cell maglite. Buying his drop-in will save you the trouble of having to go around and buy all the parts needed. While it's not a a C cell maglite, I think it's worth the extra size and weight. Installed in a 3D maglite, you'll have quite a light for biking and for around the house.

Latest posts