Angryfox        
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 500+ light choices... which actually get used? Your input?

Default 500+ light choices... which actually get used? Your input?

The one question I have received most frequently in the FlashlightReviews.com mailbox is "can you help me pick a light...?". But one question I noticed no one ever asked is "Which light do YOU use for (x purpose)?" This always surprised me, considering the number of lights I have (had) access to. Perhaps no one ever thought to ask it. Or perhaps no one really gives a darn! Well, I'm feeling chatty, so here goes!

After 6 years, over 500 reviews and a LOT of time, data, and analysis, exactly which of my lights do I actually use? For which purposes? Here they are, broken out by usage type. Hopefully this will help others when making decisions on which lights to use. Remember, however, that my selections were almost unlimited thanks to the review work I did, so if someone is on a budget they may not be able to have as many options.

EDC Formal: I have to wear a button-down shirt and slacks to work, so my EDC options are very limited. It has to be in a pocket. As a result, my EDC for quite some time now has been a Fenix L0D with a lithium AAA cell. This gives me the most options, plenty of light, and smallest possible size for carry in an office environment.

EDC Casual: When I go out on my days off or in the evening, I generally carry that same L0D in my pocket, along with a Fenix P2D in a small velcro-flap holster on my belt. The one cell 123A configuration provides a very small size along with a great shot of power if needed.

EDC Travel: When traveling on vacation or elsewhere I usually have my (now Aviatrixed) A2 in a minimag velcro-flap holster. This goes with me almost everywhere when traveling. Additionally I like to bring a high powered LED, which will probably be the P2D from now on. That L0D is still on the keychain in my pocket, though!

Water Use: If I need a dive light for dusk or cavern snorkling, the UK eLED Plus dive light has become my favored choice, powered by four Rayovac NiMH Hybrids. Plenty of light in a penetrating beam and works great underwater, while being relatively small and easy to handle.

Bedside: What about the bedside table? There I have an LRI Proton for low-light use. It's a bit of an overkill to have a Proton for just low-light use, but I love the variable output red LED. Also resting there is a Surefire C2 with the very bright Dealextreme SKU 1447 Cree P60 module for quick-grab "bump in the night" situations.

Automobile: In each of our cars I have placed a 4-D Maglight with a 4 cell MagLED module in each. Great kick-around lights with decent brightness, long runtime, and no big deal if it gets left by the side of the road.

Backyard Spotting: For the back yard I have a Surefire Dominator 10X. A 4-cell 123A light (Wolf-Eyes Rattlesnake) could have done this job as well, or a Streamlight Ultrastinger, but the 10X really kicks butt!

Nightime Walking: For this task I use a Microfire 10W HID with Li-Ion battery handle. I really enjoy this light. In fact, I've gone out and gotten just about all the options for it that I could find, including a spare bulb, 4-123A, and 8-123A battery handles. Next will be a nice Pelican case to put it in. It's a real keeper. Great for lighting up assorted nighttime vermin (aka roving bands of mischevious teens).

Household Use: Our utility lights for around the house are an Electrolumens 3-D LED and the Streamlight Strion. We use these for general kick-around use, finding the cat's missing toys under the fridge, fixing leaks under the sink, spotlighting bugs crawling across the carpet, etc.

Garage: In my toolbox I have a Task Force 2-C LED from Lowes, which is now difficult to find in stores. Plenty of light for working under the hood and practically immune to drops. This choice could have easily been the Streamlight Propoly Lux 4AA, but I don't mind beating the snot out of the Task Force.

Bug-Out Bag (BOB): And last, but not least - what about the household emergency grab-bag. You know - the bag you might grab on the way out if you had to emergency evacuate, or that you know always has what you need in a real pinch at home like a bad storm and you had to hunker down for a while? You may be surprised by my choices!

In there I placed two Princeton Tec Scout headlamps with SMJ LED drop-ins to replace the incandescent bulbs. I also added a pair of PT Sport Flares with SMJ LED drop-ins that can serve as long running area and signal lights or hand-held flashlights by removing the flare cone. Plus they have the added benefit of using parts that are interchangable with the headlamps. I've included a pair of the (now discontinued) PT Matrix 3-LED drop-in modules for backup if the SMJ's fail (these were recent acquisitions and were very difficult to find!) and for when very long runtimes are needed. Hanging on the outside of the bag is a Princeton Tec Xenon Aqua Strobe with a lithium AA cell for distress signaling and location.

That's about it! I have set aside a couple dozen other lights that I'm keeping pretty much for entertainment and enjoyment (shelf queens) and little else. Of course this leaves a lot of lights left over in storage boxes.... Hmmmm.... Anybody want to buy some lights real cheap?

Outside of the lights I use, here's a couple interesting points I decided to share:

There can be only one! (custom): If I could choose only one customized light, it would have to be my Aviatrixed A2. Hopefully Bawko will get his shop up and running again, because I want another Aviatrix module!

There can be only one! (stock): If I could choose only one unmodified light from a manufacturer, it would probably be a Fenix 2AA. These are the most versatile and best value for the price (in my opinion) and run well on cheap cells.

Most recommended to non-flashaholics: I think the most recommended light I have told people about who are not true flashaholics is the 4AA Streamlight ProPoly Luxeon. There is no reason I can think of that any average (and sometimes exceptional) user should be disappointed with this light.

So now I'm curious; What lights have you chosen for these purposes (that actually see use - not shelf queens)?

Enjoy!
    Doug P.

(Here's the categories for cut-n'-pasting convenience. Ain't I a nice guy! )

EDC Formal:
    EDC Casual:
    EDC Travel:
    Water Use:
    Bedside:
    Automobile:
    Backyard Spotting:
    Nightime Walking:
    Household Use:
    Garage:
    Bug-Out Bag (BOB):
    There can be only one! (custom):
    There can be only one! (stock):
    Most recommended to non-flashaholics:

Let's hear from YOU!
    Archive of the Original FlashlightReviews.com ::::: The default position on any claim is disbelief until credible evidence is presented.

Flashaholic*

Default Re: 500+ light choices... which actually get used? Your input?

Greetings QB!

EDC Formal: Fenix P1 CE in a generic SAK holster. I gotta dress business casual too.

EDC Casual: NovaTac 85P or E2D

EDC Travel: E2e w/MN02

Water Use: N/A

Bedside: 9P w/turbohead

Automobile: 6P with BOG Cree Premuim and 3D Mag with Mag LED

Backyard Spotting: N/A I live in the Burbs

Nightime Walking: 9P or NovaTac 85P

Household Use: Whatever tickles my fancy

Garage: N/A

Bug-Out Bag (BOB): E2O, Blue GloToob, and Tikka

There can be only one! (custom): N/A haven't taken that step yet

There can be only one! (stock): Arc AAA-P

Most recommended to non-flashaholics: Arc AAA-P

kelmo

BTW - my Box-O-Lights are almost gone. I've made alot of people really happy. Cheers to you Quickbeam!!!
    Last edited by kelmo; 09-15-2007 at 11:26 AM.

Interesting choices. I find that it's not always the nicest/most expensive gear I have that gets the most use. This holds true for guns/knives/lights/bikes/motorcycles/ect.....

It's not that I'm afraid of dinging something up. Sometimes there are intangibles that come into play when we select our gear and it's hard to put a finger on why. I certainly do appreciate the variety but in reality I always have way more gear than I need so most of it is just something to enjoy when I'm in the mood.

My SurefireE2E gets more use than anything now even though I have much "better" lights to choose from (about 25-30).
    JimmyB
    "Gentlemen, get the thing straight, once and for all: the policeman isn’t there to create disorder; the policeman is there to preserve disorder".
    -Mayor Richard J. Daley, Chicago. 1968 Democratic Convention
    (1) Exposed

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyB View Post
    Interesting choices...My SurefireE2E gets more use than anything now even though I have much "better" lights to choose from (about 25-30).

I always gravitate back to my E2x's also. In fact I'm heading out to camp in Pyramid Lake in Nevada. My 2 hand helds will be my E2e and 9P and I too have some pretty cool LEDs.

Very interesting picks so far. Here are the ones that I use:

EDC Formal:
    LOD-CE w/10440

EDC Casual:
    LOD-CE and L2

EDC Travel:
    Orb Ns, L2 on me. LOC-CE, P1D-CE, M3/MRV luggage

Water Use:
    LOD-CE (just in the pool, it's never leaked)

Bedside:
    ArcAAA and M6X

Automobile:
    3D MagLED

Backyard Spotting:
    Mag85 or 623

Nightime Walking:
    WiseLED Tactical or AE24/S

Household Use:
    3D Terralux sscp4 ex/b / RR lanterns

Garage:
    old stinger HP

Bug-Out Bag (BOB):
    2D MagLED, RR lantern, Infinity Ultra, Inova 24/7

There can be only one! (custom):
    Orb Ns.

There can be only one! (stock):
    WiseLED Tactical.

Most recommended to non-flashaholics:
    MagLED and G2
    Last edited by Patriot; 09-15-2007 at 12:01 PM.

EDC Formal: Fenix L1T. Not a pretty light by most standards, but the best looking of my slection.

EDC Casual: SureFire L4 and Arc AAA-P. Explanation needed?

EDC Travel: Combo of Fenix and Arc

Water Use: I don't have a specific light for water use.

Bedside: Inova X5

Automobile: Fenix L1T, SureFire G2, Princeton Tec Aurora

Backyard Spotting: SureFire 9P with detonator 1 cell extender and 2x17670 powering a P91

Nightime Walking: My general EDC for this.

Household Use: Inova X5

Garage: No specific light for garage use

Bug-Out Bag (BOB): I don't have one assembled... yet.

There can be only one! (custom): No custom lights... yet
    There can be only one! (stock): Arc

Most recommended to non-flashaholics: Since three people I know have ended up with them, I guess that distinction goes to the Arc AAA.
    "Et lux in tenebris lucet"

Flashaholic Mr.Urahara reloaded's Avatar

EDC Formal: Dexlight X1

EDC Casual: Dexlight X1, P1D CE

EDC Travel: Dexlight X1, P1D CE, Minimag Cree-Drop in

Water Use: -

Bedside: 5MM cheapo light, Inova T3 Tiros, Glo-TOOB Lithium blue

Automobile: Have non

Backyard Spotting: Have none

Nightime Walking: Dexlight, P1D CE

Household Use: what i can grab at hand

Garage: have none

Bug-Out Bag (BOB): Enough spares for P1D and Dexlight and Glo-TOOB

There can be only one! (custom): non yet

There can be only one! (stock): Dexlight X1, i love it

Most recommended to non-flashaholics: MTE 5 Mode from DX

Lol...... I must say I'm surprised. I never asked only because I assumed it was the single MOST asked question you received and you were probably a bit weary of answering it. So...... thank you for posting. I've got a feeling that every member here will find this to be a treat, a Saturday bonus. May your lights always be lit and your batteries charged.

EDC Formal: I don't much do formal.
    EDC Casual: HDS U60 or B42
    EDC Travel: HDS's
    Water Use: NA
    Bedside: Surefire 9p
    Automobile: Surefire G2
    Backyard Spotting: Surefire 9P
    Nightime Walking: Surefire L4, McGizmo XR19-C
    Household Use: Surefire L4
    Garage: NA
    Bug-Out Bag (BOB): Don't have that ready yet. When I do all my expensive lights and guns are going with me.
    There can be only one! (custom): NA (yet)
    There can be only one! (stock): HDS U60
    Most recommended to non-flashaholics: I don't recommend lights to non-flashaholics much. They don't get it and kind of look at you like you're a nut when you tell them how much it costs.

Flashaholic*

EDC Formal: ARC AAA-P on a titanium chain around my neck, Fenix P1 in my pocket

EDC Casual: The same ARC AAA and P1 as above, with the addition of my SF A2 or SF E2e w/ E2c adapter and a P61 bulb

EDC Travel: The same ARC AAA and Fenix P1 as above, usually the SF A2 as well, and I'll have something long-running close by like my CC HA Inova X5 as well as either a SF M4 or SF 9P with HOLA

Bedside: I use a Ray-O-Vac 3-in-1 headlamp with the red LED to read for an hour or two before falling asleep every night without disturbing my wife. Incredible runtime with the red LED, I get more than a month of use (60-80 hours or more) on three NiMH AAA's. My "bump in the night light" is a SL Scorpion.

Automobile: We have four cars, with similar lights in each. Most of them have a SF G2 for when I need lots of light, as well as a MiniMag with LED drop-in for lower light and more runtime, and I'm slowly adding a ROV 3-in-1 headlamp to each car too, the last two lights are powered by Energizer lithium AA/AAA cells.

Backyard Spotting: We've got a $20 Dorcy 2MCP rechargeable spotlight right by the door which works well. If our Saint Bernard has jumped the fence again though, I'll grab the SF M4.

Nightime Walking: SF L1 (early style) for regular use, the ROV headlamp for hands-free duty, and the SF 9P with HOLA for quick bursts of light for the bright stuff.

Household Use: A Tigerlight FBOP has served this duty for years, but as its battery pack is slowly dying and I haven't gotten around to replacing it yet, we have suppemented it with a SL Strion the last year or so.

Garage: Streamlight Poly-Stinger, a SF G2 for backup in case the Stinger's battery dies, as well as a couple of tool lights powered by my cordless drill batteries (Dewalt and Ryobi), that were cheap or free.

Bug-Out Bag (BOB): SF 6P and an Infinity Ultra-G

There can be only one! (stock): It would probably have to be either my SF A2 or L1, both are very versatile lights that serve multiple purposes.

Most recommended to non-flashaholics: Probably a MiniMag AA LED or standard MiniMag with an LED drop-in. Familiar form-factor, readily available, takes common batteries, and not too expensive.

Work flashlights: As I do not work in a white-collar environment (I work at a large UPS hub) and have to pass through a metal detector every night, my normal EDC lights won't do since they always set off the detector. For work EDC I always have a UK 2L-LED and a UK 2-AAA eLED in my jacket pocket. Both are durable and dependable lights that I know will work when I need them.
    Ha ha, you fool!! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders. The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Asia; and only slightly less well known is this: Never go against a Sicilian, when death is on the line!

For work EDC I always have a UK 2L-LED
    A 2L with the original eLED module, or one of the new eLED+ modules and bezel (longer)?

I threw my original UK eLED lamp assembly into my 2L for a very small but very long running 123A light. I also figured out how to fit a SMJ LED PR bulb drop-in into a UK 2AA. Had to drill out the lamp module from behind just until the bit started to enlarge the hole in the reflector and then crimped the bulb in place and filed down the positive contact. Works very well with an extra O-ring behind the bezel and puts out about as much light as a 2-D incan with new cells. It's now one of my up-and-coming favorite little utility lights for household use.
    Last edited by Quickbeam; 09-15-2007 at 01:09 PM.
    Archive of the Original FlashlightReviews.com ::::: The default position on any claim is disbelief until credible evidence is presented.

EDC Formal: Fenix L0D CE E2 Lithium
    EDC Casual: SureFire L1 Cree
    EDC Travel: SureFire E2E
    Water Use: SureFire 9P + A19 2x17670s
    Bedside: SiureFire E2D
    Automobile: Brinkman Maxfire LX
    Backyard Spotting: SureFire M6
    Nightime Walking: SureFire A2
    Household Use: SureFire L2
    Garage: Fenix P3D CE
    Bug-Out Bag (BOB): SureFire K2 Kroma
    There can be only one! (custom): none
    There can be only one! (stock): Streamllight 4AA PP
    Most recommended to non-flashaholics: Photon freedom

My setup rotates now and then.
    TWO is ONE and ONE is NONE, but THREE is more FUN.
    My beamshot gallery

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Quickbeam View Post
    A 2L with the original eLED module, or one of the new eLED+ modules and bezel (longer)?
    I bought a UK 4-AA eLED and swapped the heads between it and my incan UK 2L so my UK 4-AA is now incan and my 2L is LED, this is with the old (original) eLED head. We've had several power outages at work in the last 5-6 years, and each lasted for well over an hour (and I work nights), so runtime is more important than power or throw for me at work.
    Ha ha, you fool!! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders. The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Asia; and only slightly less well known is this: Never go against a Sicilian, when death is on the line!

Flashaholic

EDC Formal: L0D CE
    EDC Casual: NovaTac 120P
    EDC Travel: L1D & SF A2
    Water Use:
    Bedside: SF L2 & L5
    Automobile: SF L4
    Backyard Spotting: D-Mini & SF L6
    Nighttime Walking: TW4 & 120P
    Household Use: DX Cree lights
    Garage: DX Cree lights
    Bug-Out Bag (BOB): L1D
    There can be only one! (custom): Aleph (for future upgradeability)
    There can be only one! (stock): L1D
    Most recommended to non-flashaholics: L1D

EDC Formal: E1L

EDC Casual: E2e, HA Natural

EDC Travel: A2 and E1L (two is one when you are miles from home )

Water Use: n/a

Bedside: 6Z w/ P61 and a Gladius set to 'low'

Automobile: Audi - P3D, ratty ol' pickup - Magled in a 3C

Backyard Spotting: Mag 85

Nightime Walking: Surefire M6 w/ MN15 X-LOLA

Household Use: Malkoff'd 4D, G2 w/ WE Cree

Garage: 4D Magled, Makita fluorescent (uses NiMH tool pack)

Bug-Out Bag (BOB): SF M3, G2

There can be only one! (custom):none at the moment

There can be only one! (stock): A2

Most recommended to non-flashaholics: Magled, SF G2
    Will work for lights.

Keep em' coming!

EDC Formal: LOD CE
    EDC Casual: LOD CE
    EDC Travel: LOD CE /P1D CE
    Bedside: SF P60
    Automobile: Maxfire w/ Ebay Cree drop-in
    Backyard Spotting: MagLed 2C /ROV4W
    All other categories : what ever I feel like at the time.
    Light I want next: SF L2
    What a great day to be outside.

Flashaholic*

EDC Formal: Fire~FlyIII on my keychain

EDC Casual: Fire~FlyIII on my keychain

EDC Travel: Fire~FlyIII on my keychain

EDC Travel (Overseas): Peak Mediterranean 2AA/ Arc AA on keys

Work EDC (carried) Peak Baltic stainless steel AAA Seoul LED

Work EDC (left at work) Peak Mediterranean 2AA stainless steel

Water Use: Peak Mediterranean stainless steel 2AA

Bedside: Fire~FlyIII on keys (defaults to low)

Automobile: Old Fenix L1P with lithium AA and 2-stage tailcap (5 ohms)

Backyard Spotting: 8AA to 2D LuxeonV Mag

Nightime Walking: FF3, Peak Mediterranean or L2D CE (depending on time or mood)

Household Use: 8AA LuxeonV Mag

Bug-Out Bag (BOB): Peak Mediterranean 2AA HA-III, Peak Killamanjaro AA 7 UV LED, Arc AAA with red LED

There can be only one! (custom): HA-III 8AA to 2D bored Mag, Kiu strike bezel, Taskled MaxFlex programmable current regulator, UCL lens, copper heat sink and five Cree R5 bin XREs (waiting for LEDs and regulator)

There can be only one! (stock): Peak First Responder with stock (2xCR123 or 2AA) body, additional AA extenders and optional 2x16500 body with momentary switch. Additional heat sinking disks for use in the desert. A completely customizable, variable output 3 Seoul LED light that is stock.

Most recommended to non-flashaholics: Steamlight 4AA Luxeon, Fenix LxD series, Peak Pacific
    Last edited by BentHeadTX; 09-15-2007 at 02:52 PM.
    Peak Pacific AAA UP brass (EDC) E01 (keys), Peaks, Arcs, Fenix, Q5 Aspheric HA-III Mag etc.

EDC Formal: Fenix P1D-CE
    EDC Casual: Surefire A2 White Leds & Fenix P3D-CE
    EDC Travel: A2, P3D-CE
    Bedside: Surefire M6 HOLA & one of the colored Leds A2s (more often the Green Led)
    Automobile: I only own a Moto
    Backyard Spotting: Borealis 1050 by Juancho (just arrived: Awesome!)
    Nightime Walking: Surefire A2
    Household Use: Surefire A2 - P1D-CE (my wife)
    Bug-Out Bag (BOB): Still assembling...
    There can be only one! (custom): Surefire A2/Aviatrix
    There can be only one! (stock): Surefire A2
    Most recommended to non-flashaholics: Fenix 2AA
    SF A2 x 4 (I miss Y/G leds and Aviatrix ring) - SF M6-CB - Blue Borealis 1050 Lumens - Fenix P1D-CE - Fenix P3D-CE - Proud member of the A2 club

*added* EDC WORK: Gladius, LO-Ti, (SL XT's, Terralux Mags in the truck)
    EDC Formal: LO-Ti aorund neck inside shirt
    EDC Casual: P1D-CE
    EDC Travel: P1D-CE and LO-Ti
    Bedside: All of them, its where I keep them
    Automobile: Mag LED 3 cell
    Backyard Spotting: Inova XO3, or MagLED 3D
    Nightime Walking: Inova XO3
    Household Use: Mini Mag w/nite ize led and Iq switch
    Garage: Cheap 3d cell with 30 leds
    Bug-Out Bag (BOB): plastic 2d w/nite ize pr base LED, dorcy super 1 watt
    There can be only one! (custom): N/A
    There can be only one! (stock): P1D-CE
    Most recommended to non-flashaholics: Usually something Fenix, or whatever Im trying to sell to by more good lights
    out of the darkness comes......well duh

EDC Work: Pelican 7060 Led/ ASP Triad Led/ HX2 Typhoon
    EDC Formal: McLux PD w Seoul P4
    EDC Casual: Nuwai 301X3 w Cree XR-E by milkyspit
    EDC Travel: Don't really travel alot but it probably would be my JetBeam MKII
    Water Use: None
    Bedside: SF C2 w P4 drop-in
    Automobile: None
    Backyard Spotting: TigerLight FBOP
    Nightime Walking: None
    Household Use: HX2 Typhoon
    Garage: None
    Bug-Out Bag (BOB): Don't have one yet
    There can be only one! (custom): Custom TigerLight FBOP Led (being built)
    There can be only one! (stock): TigerLight FBOP
    Most recommended to non-flashaholics: Streamlight Pro Polymer Led
    Last edited by depusm12; 09-15-2007 at 04:28 PM.
    James
    TigerLight Vers II, ASP Triad, SF Z2, M3, L6, A2, Inova T2,**9-11-01 "Let's Roll"**

EDC Formal/EDC Casual: Ultrafire 602c-SSC in pocket, L0D-CE on keychain. Have a MillerMods Arc AAA Cree on order for my Keychain.

EDC Travel: Above + L1T v2.0 RB80. EDIT: Minimak 14500

Water Use: N/A. (i)UK eLED 2AAA & Nightbuster AquaLED are the only water rated lights I got.(/i)

Bedside: EDIT: MTE 1AA SSC-P4. EDIT: MTE 5 mode SSC-P7

Backyard Spotting: Electrolumens My Little Friend,

Nightime Walking: Electrolumens My Little Friend, L1T v2.0 RB80, L0D-CE.

Household Use: Turtlelight (Dorcy 4AA 1LED floating lanten/cool blue) with Tectite LPR-113 (now LPR-3)

Bug-Out Bag (BOB): Turtlelight + Pack of L91 batteries.

Automobile: N/A

There can be only one! (custom): MillerMods Arc AAA Cree
    There can be only one! (stock): L0D CE or L0D RB80.

Most recommended to non-flashaholics: Fenix L1T v2.0 RB80 or LOD CE.

Note I change my mind often (see sig).
    Last edited by LEDninja; 05-23-2008 at 01:55 AM.

Flashaholic

Great topic, Doug. Thank you!!

EDC Formal: Fenix P1 and/or Orb Raw NS in pocket(s), 6P in briefcase

EDC Casual: Fenix P1, SF 6P or A2, & Raw NS (rarely use any, let alone all 3, but hey...)

EDC Travel: Fenix P1

Water Use: Not underwater, but an A2 on the boat. LED is just enough to see anywhere on the boat, incan is great for spotting on the shoreline, on the surace, or underwater

Bedside: SF A2, G3, 6P, & Orb Raw NS (wife's side-E2E)...yeah...overkill by all accounts.

Automobile: SF G2's, 2D Mags

Backyard Spotting: G3

Nightime Walking: A2, Raw NS

Household Use: SF E1L, A2, 6P, Fenix P1

Garage: SF G2, Fenix P1

Bug-Out Bag (BOB): SF G2, MagLED

There can be only one! (custom): Orb Raw NS

There can be only one! (stock): SF A2

Most recommended to non-flashaholics: SF G2
    Home of the Throw-Monster!

EDC Formal:ORB NS Cree
    EDC Casual:ARC-AAA,NLS,PD
    EDC Travel:U2,G2 Cree,30mm Trit Torch
    Water Use:N/A
    Bedside:HDS U60,Amber Gerber Infinity
    Automobile:SL PP Luxeon 3C,AE PL 24
    Backyard Spotting:9PT,AE PL 24
    Nightime Walking:U2,AE PL 24
    Household Use:PD
    Garage:G2 Cree, SL PP 4AA
    Bug-Out Bag (BOB):U2,PD,ARC-AAA,30mm Trit Torch
    There can be only one! (custom):Ti 27S PD
    There can be only one! (stock):U2
    Most recommended to non-flashaholics:SL PP 3C
    Carrying a firearm for self-defense gives you great power. Society expects great responsibility from those with great power.

Flashaholic

EDC Formal: Arc aaa-p
    EDC Casual: E2L old style beat up work light
    EDC Travel: E2e w/LF 3.7v bulb
    Water Use: Any of my surefire lights
    Bedside: M3 combatlight
    Automobile: second E2e
    Backyard Spotting: M6
    Nightime Walking:
    Household Use: E2e
    Garage:
    Bug-Out Bag (BOB): Sure fire Cree L1, Inova Xo
    There can be only one! (custom): M3 leefboby 18650 LF 380 lumens
    There can be only one! (stock): Surefire 9P
    Most recommended to non-flashaholics: Propoly Lux, G2

Flashaholic*

No where near 500 lights to choose from in my collection, and no where the experience judging flashlights as Quickbeam, but I did learn a lot from your site.

EDC Formal: Fenix L0PSE, bright, works well, and is tiny. Its not broken so no need to move to the L0D yet. Add two Photon Microlight IIs to my keychain always.

EDC Casual: Same as formal but add either an Ultrafire C3, Inova X0 (Tiros), or I\nova X5. Depending upon where I am going/doing.

EDC Travel: Same as formal but add Inova X5 usually, it provides long runtime and plenty of light. Also will toss in Ultrafire C3 as a backup pocket light.

Water Use: UK eLed

Bedside: Inova X5, plenty of light in the home, long runtime. Durable in case I drop it in sleepy stupor.

Automobile: 5 C Cell Maglight in each vehicle. Plenty of light, durable, useable for a baton if needed. Inova X0 (Tiros) longer battery life, smaller pocket/belt carry option.

Backyard Spotting: Inova X03, plenty of throw. Good battery life, solid rugged and reliable.

Nightime Walking: Inova X0, plenty of throw, rugged, good battery life.

Household Use: Inova AAA Bolt, I love the size factor for tossing in a sweats pocket, good battery life, plenty of light for most tasks. Brinkman headlamp, great hands free user.

Garage: Brinkman 3 Led headlamp, have become a big believer in the ease of their handsfree use.

Bug-Out Bag (BOB): Brinkman 3 LED Headlamp too handy to leave out. Minimag MagLED 2 AA. good runtime, plenty of light, and familiarity in the Nth degree in stress situations, Red Inova X5 for uses when you want to keep your night vision intact and the run time is supreme. AAA Minimag with SMJLED upgrade to give a AAA option to give me one of each battery option and it has excellant runtime.

There can be only one! (custom): dont have one, generally am too cheap to spend that kind of money on a flashlight.

There can be only one! (stock): If I could only have one flashlight it would be either a 2 AA Minimag MagLed because of its familiarity, runtime and ease of replacement, or my Inova X0 (Tiros) for its ruggedness, runtime, and throw.

Most recommended to non-flashaholics: Pocket light would be a Rock river 2 AAA. Belt light is 2 AA Minimag MagLed because everyone knnows how to use a Minimag and how it feels to use by rote under any circumstance.
    Lee

Life is too important to be taken seriously: Oscar Wilde

EDC Formal: LF2/10440.
    EDC Casual: LF2/10440, Gladius+FM34 in MUL, L1D-CE, and whatever I feel like.
    EDC Travel: Same as my EDC Casual.
    Water Use: I don't swim.
    Bedside: That's where my entire flashlight collection is. I usually grab my E0.
    Automobile: Whatever I'm EDCing.
    Backyard Spotting: My backyard isn't big enough for spotting, but when I need to do that, I like my Sam's Club HID.
    Nightime Walking: Whatever I'm EDCing.
    Household Use: Whatever I'm EDCing, or maybe my Seouled Argo HP/17670.
    Garage: Whatever I'm EDCing.
    Bug-Out Bag (BOB): Whatever I'm EDCing.
    There can be only one! (custom): Gatlight V3, full Ti.
    There can be only one! (stock): Gladius, FM34, rechargeables, and MUL.
    Most recommended to non-flashaholics: ProPoly Luxeons, some sort of Fenix, or possibly a headlight.

I've also posted a link to this thread in the Welcome Mat.

Silver Moderator

Hello Doug,

Great thread.

I will start off by mentioning that I always carry a Peak Mediteranian 3 LED 1 AAA brass light on my keychain as a backup light.

EDC Formal: Black LionHeart

EDC Casual: Natural LionHeart

EDC Travel: Work Natural LionHeart

Water Use: Barbarian Golden Dragon HID

Bedside: Lightwave 4000 for general use and TigerLight for bump in the night use.

Automobile: TigerLight, PT Tec 40, and a couple of headlamps - right now the Streamlight Triton.

Backyard Spotting: Mag85 and Pelican Big D.

Nightime Walking: U2

Household Use: Whatever is closest to grab. Most often an ARC LSH-P with the 2 AA battery holder.

Garage: I usually bring a light for a specific purpose into the garage, but do have a Mag 2D in there for backup.

Bug-Out Bag (BOB): I don't have a formal BOB, but do carry a backpack that would serve a similar purpose. In the backpack I have an A2, HD45, Heliotek, Pelican L1, and a PT EOS headlamp.

There can be only one! (custom): Toss up between a regulated TigerLight and the Pink Panther.

There can be only one! (stock): 8NX

Most recommended to non-flashaholics: PT Tec 40 and the PT EOS Headlamp

Tom
    Behind every Great man there's always a woman rolling her eyes...

Most batteries don't die - they are tortured to near death, then murdered...

Great info! I never asked you anything, because I figured you probably got loads and loads of email and wouldn't have time to answer anyway. So I just read nearly all of the reviews and made my own choices based on them. Your site was the Perfect Source of Information for a budding flashaholic and I pored over it for hours. Or days. Ok, make that weeks. Thanks for all the work you put into it!

EDC Formal: Arc AAA-P (it's with my keys, so it's included in most of the other categories, too)

EDC Casual: I try rotate, so hard to say. Pretty often I end up with Fenix L1D-CE or some similar light.

EDC Travel: Depends on where I'm going, but I try to avoid traveling. Generally the same as casual EDC plus maybe one or two spares.

Water Use: Don't need one really, but if I did, I wouldn't hesitate to use my UK 4AA.

Bedside: red LRI Photon 3 on the lowest setting for checking on the baby and for finding stuff on my bedside table without blowing my night vision.

Automobile: Fenix L1T with an Energizer lithium AA. Where I live we have sub-zero temperatures for a good part of the year so a lithium battery is a must. And the L1T will run for a long time on low, if we get stuck on the roadside.

Backyard Spotting: Don't have a backyard, but I do my spotting with a ROP or a 2C MagLED.

Nightime Walking: I really like the Petzl Tikka XP for seeing where I'm putting my feet, plus some other throwier light for looking a bit further ahead.

Household Use: Petzl Tikka XP (now modded with a Seoul LED). Because you can't beat a headlamp for utility use.

Garage: Don't have one. I use a headlamp when I'm working on the car, so I use the same Tikka XP.

Bug-Out Bag (BOB): I'm just in the process of creating one, so can't say yet. I'm pretty sure it will include at least my UK 4AA eLed for the runtime and I'll probably get another Tikka XP (or the ZebraLight for a change) for utility use.

There can be only one! (custom): Well, my ROP is my only real custom with the MOP reflector, 6AA-to-2D adapter etc., so...

There can be only one! (stock): I guess I'll have to go with the A2 Aviator. Actually, now I notice that I didn't put it in any of the above categories, but I do use it a fair bit for miscellaneous jobs. I guess it's my "fun light".

Most recommended to non-flashaholics: Petzl Tikka XP. Am I getting repetitive or what? Because it's a headlamp and not too expensive.

Excellent thread.

here are mine.

EDC Formal: HDS EDC U60 w/Seoulmation
    EDC Casual:HDS EDC U60 w/Seoulmation & Amilite Neo T5
    EDC Travel:HDS EDC U60 w/Seoulmation & Fenix L2D CE
    Water Use:SS PP 4AA Lux
    Bedside:Fenix L2T v2.0 & Borealis
    Automobileorcy Super 1 watt (1xcr123)
    Backyard Spotting:Borealis
    Nightime Walking:HDS EDC U60 w/Seoulmation or Fenix L2D CE
    Household Use:Fenix L2T v2.0
    Garage:Maglite 2C -> 3x123's one two 18500's with magnum starr 5 cell bulb
    Bug-Out Bag (BOB): Fenix L2D CE, Fenix L1T, and EOS headlamp
    There can be only one! (custom):Borealis (only custom light I have)
    There can be only one! (stock):HDS EDC U60
    Most recommended to non-flashaholics:SS PP 4AA Lux

clipse

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast