500+ light choices... which actually get used? Your input?

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
The one question I have received most frequently in the FlashlightReviews.com mailbox is "can you help me pick a light...?". But one question I noticed no one ever asked is "Which light do YOU use for (x purpose)?" This always surprised me, considering the number of lights I have (had) access to. Perhaps no one ever thought to ask it. Or perhaps no one really gives a darn! Well, I'm feeling chatty, so here goes!

After 6 years, over 500 reviews and a LOT of time, data, and analysis, exactly which of my lights do I actually use? For which purposes? Here they are, broken out by usage type. Hopefully this will help others when making decisions on which lights to use. Remember, however, that my selections were almost unlimited thanks to the review work I did, so if someone is on a budget they may not be able to have as many options.

EDC Formal: I have to wear a button-down shirt and slacks to work, so my EDC options are very limited. It has to be in a pocket. As a result, my EDC for quite some time now has been a Fenix L0D with a lithium AAA cell. This gives me the most options, plenty of light, and smallest possible size for carry in an office environment.

EDC Casual: When I go out on my days off or in the evening, I generally carry that same L0D in my pocket, along with a Fenix P2D in a small velcro-flap holster on my belt. The one cell 123A configuration provides a very small size along with a great shot of power if needed.

EDC Travel: When traveling on vacation or elsewhere I usually have my (now Aviatrixed) A2 in a minimag velcro-flap holster. This goes with me almost everywhere when traveling. Additionally I like to bring a high powered LED, which will probably be the P2D from now on. That L0D is still on the keychain in my pocket, though!

Water Use: If I need a dive light for dusk or cavern snorkling, the UK eLED Plus dive light has become my favored choice, powered by four Rayovac NiMH Hybrids. Plenty of light in a penetrating beam and works great underwater, while being relatively small and easy to handle.

Bedside: What about the bedside table? There I have an LRI Proton for low-light use. It's a bit of an overkill to have a Proton for just low-light use, but I love the variable output red LED. Also resting there is a Surefire C2 with the very bright Dealextreme SKU 1447 Cree P60 module for quick-grab "bump in the night" situations.

Automobile: In each of our cars I have placed a 4-D Maglight with a 4 cell MagLED module in each. Great kick-around lights with decent brightness, long runtime, and no big deal if it gets left by the side of the road.

Backyard Spotting: For the back yard I have a Surefire Dominator 10X. A 4-cell 123A light (Wolf-Eyes Rattlesnake) could have done this job as well, or a Streamlight Ultrastinger, but the 10X really kicks butt!

Nightime Walking: For this task I use a Microfire 10W HID with Li-Ion battery handle. I really enjoy this light. In fact, I've gone out and gotten just about all the options for it that I could find, including a spare bulb, 4-123A, and 8-123A battery handles. Next will be a nice Pelican case to put it in. It's a real keeper. Great for lighting up assorted nighttime vermin (aka roving bands of mischevious teens).

Household Use: Our utility lights for around the house are an Electrolumens 3-D LED and the Streamlight Strion. We use these for general kick-around use, finding the cat's missing toys under the fridge, fixing leaks under the sink, spotlighting bugs crawling across the carpet, etc.

Garage: In my toolbox I have a Task Force 2-C LED from Lowes, which is now difficult to find in stores. Plenty of light for working under the hood and practically immune to drops. This choice could have easily been the Streamlight Propoly Lux 4AA, but I don't mind beating the snot out of the Task Force.

Bug-Out Bag (BOB): And last, but not least - what about the household emergency grab-bag. You know - the bag you might grab on the way out if you had to emergency evacuate, or that you know always has what you need in a real pinch at home like a bad storm and you had to hunker down for a while? You may be surprised by my choices!

In there I placed two Princeton Tec Scout headlamps with SMJ LED drop-ins to replace the incandescent bulbs. I also added a pair of PT Sport Flares with SMJ LED drop-ins that can serve as long running area and signal lights or hand-held flashlights by removing the flare cone. Plus they have the added benefit of using parts that are interchangable with the headlamps. I've included a pair of the (now discontinued) PT Matrix 3-LED drop-in modules for backup if the SMJ's fail (these were recent acquisitions and were very difficult to find!) and for when very long runtimes are needed. Hanging on the outside of the bag is a Princeton Tec Xenon Aqua Strobe with a lithium AA cell for distress signaling and location.

That's about it! I have set aside a couple dozen other lights that I'm keeping pretty much for entertainment and enjoyment (shelf queens) and little else. Of course this leaves a lot of lights left over in storage boxes.... Hmmmm.... Anybody want to buy some lights real cheap? ;)

Outside of the lights I use, here's a couple interesting points I decided to share:

There can be only one! (custom): If I could choose only one customized light, it would have to be my Aviatrixed A2. Hopefully Bawko will get his shop up and running again, because I want another Aviatrix module!

There can be only one! (stock): If I could choose only one unmodified light from a manufacturer, it would probably be a Fenix 2AA. These are the most versatile and best value for the price (in my opinion) and run well on cheap cells.

Most recommended to non-flashaholics: I think the most recommended light I have told people about who are not true flashaholics is the 4AA Streamlight ProPoly Luxeon. There is no reason I can think of that any average (and sometimes exceptional) user should be disappointed with this light.

So now I'm curious; What lights have you chosen for these purposes (that actually see use - not shelf queens)?

Enjoy!
Doug P.

(Here's the categories for cut-n'-pasting convenience. Ain't I a nice guy! :D )

EDC Formal:
EDC Casual:
EDC Travel:
Water Use:
Bedside:
Automobile:
Backyard Spotting:
Nightime Walking:
Household Use:
Garage:
Bug-Out Bag (BOB):
There can be only one! (custom):
There can be only one! (stock):
Most recommended to non-flashaholics:

Let's hear from YOU! :)

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Greetings QB!

EDC Formal: Fenix P1 CE in a generic SAK holster. I gotta dress business casual too.

EDC Casual: NovaTac 85P or E2D

EDC Travel: E2e w/MN02

Water Use: N/A

Bedside: 9P w/turbohead

Automobile: 6P with BOG Cree Premuim and 3D Mag with Mag LED

Backyard Spotting: N/A I live in the Burbs

Nightime Walking: 9P or NovaTac 85P

Household Use: Whatever tickles my fancy

Garage: N/A

Bug-Out Bag (BOB): E2O, Blue GloToob, and Tikka

There can be only one! (custom): N/A haven't taken that step yet

There can be only one! (stock): Arc AAA-P

Most recommended to non-flashaholics: Arc AAA-P

kelmo

BTW - my Box-O-Lights are almost gone. I've made alot of people really happy. Cheers to you Quickbeam!!!

Last edited:

JimmyB

Enlightened
Interesting choices. I find that it's not always the nicest/most expensive gear I have that gets the most use. This holds true for guns/knives/lights/bikes/motorcycles/ect.....

It's not that I'm afraid of dinging something up. Sometimes there are intangibles that come into play when we select our gear and it's hard to put a finger on why. I certainly do appreciate the variety but in reality I always have way more gear than I need so most of it is just something to enjoy when I'm in the mood.

My SurefireE2E gets more use than anything now even though I have much "better" lights to choose from (about 25-30).

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting choices...My SurefireE2E gets more use than anything now even though I have much "better" lights to choose from (about 25-30).

I always gravitate back to my E2x's also. In fact I'm heading out to camp in Pyramid Lake in Nevada. My 2 hand helds will be my E2e and 9P and I too have some pretty cool LEDs.

Patriot

Flashaholic
Very interesting picks so far. Here are the ones that I use:

EDC Formal:
LOD-CE w/10440

EDC Casual:
LOD-CE and L2

EDC Travel:
Orb Ns, L2 on me. LOC-CE, P1D-CE, M3/MRV luggage

Water Use:
LOD-CE (just in the pool, it's never leaked)

Bedside:
ArcAAA and M6X

Automobile:
3D MagLED

Backyard Spotting:
Mag85 or 623

Nightime Walking:
WiseLED Tactical or AE24/S

Household Use:
3D Terralux sscp4 ex/b / RR lanterns

Garage:
old stinger HP

Bug-Out Bag (BOB):
2D MagLED, RR lantern, Infinity Ultra, Inova 24/7

There can be only one! (custom):
Orb Ns.

There can be only one! (stock):
WiseLED Tactical.

Most recommended to non-flashaholics:
MagLED and G2

Last edited:

KeyGrip

Flashlight Enthusiast
EDC Formal: Fenix L1T. Not a pretty light by most standards, but the best looking of my slection.

EDC Casual: SureFire L4 and Arc AAA-P. Explanation needed?

EDC Travel: Combo of Fenix and Arc

Water Use: I don't have a specific light for water use.

Bedside: Inova X5

Automobile: Fenix L1T, SureFire G2, Princeton Tec Aurora

Backyard Spotting: SureFire 9P with detonator 1 cell extender and 2x17670 powering a P91

Nightime Walking: My general EDC for this.

Household Use: Inova X5

Garage: No specific light for garage use

Bug-Out Bag (BOB): I don't have one assembled... yet.

There can be only one! (custom): No custom lights... yet
There can be only one! (stock): Arc

Most recommended to non-flashaholics: Since three people I know have ended up with them, I guess that distinction goes to the Arc AAA.

Mr.Urahara reloaded

Newly Enlightened
EDC Formal: Dexlight X1

EDC Casual: Dexlight X1, P1D CE

EDC Travel: Dexlight X1, P1D CE, Minimag Cree-Drop in

Water Use: -

Bedside: 5MM cheapo light, Inova T3 Tiros, Glo-TOOB Lithium blue

Automobile: Have non:(

Backyard Spotting: Have none:(

Nightime Walking: Dexlight, P1D CE

Household Use: what i can grab at hand

Garage: have none :(

Bug-Out Bag (BOB): Enough spares for P1D and Dexlight and Glo-TOOB

There can be only one! (custom): non yet:(

There can be only one! (stock): Dexlight X1, i love it

Most recommended to non-flashaholics: MTE 5 Mode from DX

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lol...... I must say I'm surprised. I never asked only because I assumed it was the single MOST asked question you received and you were probably a bit weary of answering it. So...... thank you for posting. I've got a feeling that every member here will find this to be a treat, a Saturday bonus. May your lights always be lit and your batteries charged.

alanagnostic

Enlightened
EDC Formal: I don't much do formal.
EDC Casual: HDS U60 or B42
EDC Travel: HDS's
Water Use: NA
Bedside: Surefire 9p
Automobile: Surefire G2
Backyard Spotting: Surefire 9P
Nightime Walking: Surefire L4, McGizmo XR19-C
Household Use: Surefire L4
Garage: NA
Bug-Out Bag (BOB): Don't have that ready yet. When I do all my expensive lights and guns are going with me.
There can be only one! (custom): NA (yet)
There can be only one! (stock): HDS U60
Most recommended to non-flashaholics: I don't recommend lights to non-flashaholics much. They don't get it and kind of look at you like you're a nut when you tell them how much it costs.

NeonLights

Flashlight Enthusiast
EDC Formal: ARC AAA-P on a titanium chain around my neck, Fenix P1 in my pocket

EDC Casual: The same ARC AAA and P1 as above, with the addition of my SF A2 or SF E2e w/ E2c adapter and a P61 bulb

EDC Travel: The same ARC AAA and Fenix P1 as above, usually the SF A2 as well, and I'll have something long-running close by like my CC HA Inova X5 as well as either a SF M4 or SF 9P with HOLA

Bedside: I use a Ray-O-Vac 3-in-1 headlamp with the red LED to read for an hour or two before falling asleep every night without disturbing my wife. Incredible runtime with the red LED, I get more than a month of use (60-80 hours or more) on three NiMH AAA's. My "bump in the night light" is a SL Scorpion.

Automobile: We have four cars, with similar lights in each. Most of them have a SF G2 for when I need lots of light, as well as a MiniMag with LED drop-in for lower light and more runtime, and I'm slowly adding a ROV 3-in-1 headlamp to each car too, the last two lights are powered by Energizer lithium AA/AAA cells.

Backyard Spotting: We've got a $20 Dorcy 2MCP rechargeable spotlight right by the door which works well. If our Saint Bernard has jumped the fence again though, I'll grab the SF M4.

Nightime Walking: SF L1 (early style) for regular use, the ROV headlamp for hands-free duty, and the SF 9P with HOLA for quick bursts of light for the bright stuff.

Household Use: A Tigerlight FBOP has served this duty for years, but as its battery pack is slowly dying and I haven't gotten around to replacing it yet, we have suppemented it with a SL Strion the last year or so.

Garage: Streamlight Poly-Stinger, a SF G2 for backup in case the Stinger's battery dies, as well as a couple of tool lights powered by my cordless drill batteries (Dewalt and Ryobi), that were cheap or free.

Bug-Out Bag (BOB): SF 6P and an Infinity Ultra-G

There can be only one! (stock): It would probably have to be either my SF A2 or L1, both are very versatile lights that serve multiple purposes.

Most recommended to non-flashaholics: Probably a MiniMag AA LED or standard MiniMag with an LED drop-in. Familiar form-factor, readily available, takes common batteries, and not too expensive.

Work flashlights: As I do not work in a white-collar environment (I work at a large UPS hub) and have to pass through a metal detector every night, my normal EDC lights won't do since they always set off the detector. For work EDC I always have a UK 2L-LED and a UK 2-AAA eLED in my jacket pocket. Both are durable and dependable lights that I know will work when I need them.

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
For work EDC I always have a UK 2L-LED

A 2L with the original eLED module, or one of the new eLED+ modules and bezel (longer)?

I threw my original UK eLED lamp assembly into my 2L for a very small but very long running 123A light. I also figured out how to fit a SMJ LED PR bulb drop-in into a UK 2AA. Had to drill out the lamp module from behind just until the bit started to enlarge the hole in the reflector and then crimped the bulb in place and filed down the positive contact. Works very well with an extra O-ring behind the bezel and puts out about as much light as a 2-D incan with new cells. It's now one of my up-and-coming favorite little utility lights for household use.

Last edited:

EV_007

Enlightened
EDC Formal: Fenix L0D CE E2 Lithium
EDC Casual: SureFire L1 Cree
EDC Travel: SureFire E2E
Water Use: SureFire 9P + A19 2x17670s
Bedside: SiureFire E2D
Automobile: Brinkman Maxfire LX
Backyard Spotting: SureFire M6
Nightime Walking: SureFire A2
Household Use: SureFire L2
Garage: Fenix P3D CE
Bug-Out Bag (BOB): SureFire K2 Kroma
There can be only one! (custom): none
There can be only one! (stock): Streamllight 4AA PP
Most recommended to non-flashaholics: Photon freedom

My setup rotates now and then.

NeonLights

Flashlight Enthusiast
A 2L with the original eLED module, or one of the new eLED+ modules and bezel (longer)?
I bought a UK 4-AA eLED and swapped the heads between it and my incan UK 2L so my UK 4-AA is now incan and my 2L is LED, this is with the old (original) eLED head. We've had several power outages at work in the last 5-6 years, and each lasted for well over an hour (and I work nights), so runtime is more important than power or throw for me at work.

who

Newly Enlightened
EDC Formal: L0D CE
EDC Casual: NovaTac 120P
EDC Travel: L1D & SF A2
Water Use:
Bedside: SF L2 & L5
Automobile: SF L4
Backyard Spotting: D-Mini & SF L6
Nighttime Walking: TW4 & 120P
Household Use: DX Cree lights
Garage: DX Cree lights
Bug-Out Bag (BOB): L1D
There can be only one! (custom): Aleph (for future upgradeability)
There can be only one! (stock): L1D
Most recommended to non-flashaholics: L1D

BSBG

Enlightened
EDC Formal: E1L

EDC Casual: E2e, HA Natural

EDC Travel: A2 and E1L (two is one when you are miles from home :))

Water Use: n/a

Bedside: 6Z w/ P61 and a Gladius set to 'low'

Automobile: Audi - P3D, ratty ol' pickup - Magled in a 3C

Backyard Spotting: Mag 85

Nightime Walking: Surefire M6 w/ MN15 X-LOLA

Household Use: Malkoff'd 4D, G2 w/ WE Cree

Garage: 4D Magled, Makita fluorescent (uses NiMH tool pack)

Bug-Out Bag (BOB): SF M3, G2

There can be only one! (custom):none at the moment

There can be only one! (stock): A2

Most recommended to non-flashaholics: Magled, SF G2

LG&M

Enlightened
EDC Formal: LOD CE
EDC Casual: LOD CE
EDC Travel: LOD CE /P1D CE
Bedside: SF P60
Automobile: Maxfire w/ Ebay Cree drop-in
Backyard Spotting: MagLed 2C /ROV4W
All other categories : what ever I feel like at the time.
Light I want next: SF L2

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
EDC Formal: Fire~FlyIII on my keychain

EDC Casual: Fire~FlyIII on my keychain

EDC Travel: Fire~FlyIII on my keychain

EDC Travel (Overseas): Peak Mediterranean 2AA/ Arc AA on keys

Work EDC (carried) Peak Baltic stainless steel AAA Seoul LED

Work EDC (left at work) Peak Mediterranean 2AA stainless steel

Water Use: Peak Mediterranean stainless steel 2AA

Bedside: Fire~FlyIII on keys (defaults to low)

Automobile: Old Fenix L1P with lithium AA and 2-stage tailcap (5 ohms)

Backyard Spotting: 8AA to 2D LuxeonV Mag

Nightime Walking: FF3, Peak Mediterranean or L2D CE (depending on time or mood)

Household Use: 8AA LuxeonV Mag

Bug-Out Bag (BOB): Peak Mediterranean 2AA HA-III, Peak Killamanjaro AA 7 UV LED, Arc AAA with red LED

There can be only one! (custom): HA-III 8AA to 2D bored Mag, Kiu strike bezel, Taskled MaxFlex programmable current regulator, UCL lens, copper heat sink and five Cree R5 bin XREs (waiting for LEDs and regulator)

There can be only one! (stock): Peak First Responder with stock (2xCR123 or 2AA) body, additional AA extenders and optional 2x16500 body with momentary switch. Additional heat sinking disks for use in the desert. A completely customizable, variable output 3 Seoul LED light that is stock. :)

Most recommended to non-flashaholics: Steamlight 4AA Luxeon, Fenix LxD series, Peak Pacific

Last edited:

dolbyyy

Newly Enlightened
EDC Formal: Fenix P1D-CE
EDC Casual: Surefire A2 White Leds & Fenix P3D-CE
EDC Travel: A2, P3D-CE
Bedside: Surefire M6 HOLA & one of the colored Leds A2s (more often the Green Led)
Automobile: I only own a Moto
Backyard Spotting: Borealis 1050 by Juancho (just arrived: Awesome!)
Nightime Walking: Surefire A2
Household Use: Surefire A2 - P1D-CE (my wife)
Bug-Out Bag (BOB): Still assembling...
There can be only one! (custom): Surefire A2/Aviatrix
There can be only one! (stock): Surefire A2
Most recommended to non-flashaholics: Fenix 2AA
:wave:

munkybiz_9881

Enlightened
*added* EDC WORK: Gladius, LO-Ti, (SL XT's, Terralux Mags in the truck)
EDC Formal: LO-Ti aorund neck inside shirt
EDC Casual: P1D-CE
EDC Travel: P1D-CE and LO-Ti
Bedside: All of them, its where I keep them
Automobile: Mag LED 3 cell
Backyard Spotting: Inova XO3, or MagLED 3D
Nightime Walking: Inova XO3
Household Use: Mini Mag w/nite ize led and Iq switch
Garage: Cheap 3d cell with 30 leds
Bug-Out Bag (BOB): plastic 2d w/nite ize pr base LED, dorcy super 1 watt
There can be only one! (custom): N/A
There can be only one! (stock): P1D-CE
Most recommended to non-flashaholics: Usually something Fenix, or whatever Im trying to sell to by more good lights:naughty: