Suspending Glow Powders

Northlandthorman

Newly Enlightened
Hi all, First time posting, have lurked a bit. :twothumbs

So here's my idea. I want to suspend the oil based glow powder pigments in something like light mineral oil to use in a display for my computer case/room/desk Mod...hmm bet that makes ya go huh?

I got a couple of glass lab condensers and want to run 2 different colors through them. I am guessing that if I put a few UV LED's in a hidden spot of the route I can keep the colors nice and bright.

I don't plan on using the oil for cooling the comp. Just want to go with the "mad scientist" theme :naughty: .

So does anyone think that with proper circulation I can keep the powder sliding through?

I'm open to any and all ideas ya'll might have.

LED-FX

Enlightened
Like the idea :)

With enough circulation should be able to keep powders in suspension but look out for it collecting and silting up the flow.

Glow pigments aren`t as such oil based, dont think, but wont dissolve in oil based binders, will in water based solutions unless coated.

Thinking also of chemical used in glitter lamps, like lava lamps, but with glitter suspended in the fluid, Its a question of getting specific gravities right.

Using fluroscein or similar UV active dye can be quite effective with specifically placed UV source. 4" `money checker` blacklight tubes can be quite handy.

Cheers
Adam

Skylighter

Enlightened
Suspension is always a tough problem with glow powders.

One of our customers is a stunt-pilot. He found how to suspend the powder into smoke oil. He would pump it through a clear glass tube surrounded with UV LED's and then pump it into a smoke machine.

He said he did solve the suspension in oil issue, but wouldnt tell me how.

Pistolero

Enlightened
Would something like this work for a "suspension"

http://images.google.com/images?source=ig&hl=en&q=acrylic+water&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wi
http://www.wreathsunlimited.com/cgi-bin/spgm?dpt=W&srch=D2&item=SSACRYLIC

I saw some at Wal-Mart for use in arranging silk flowers. I was thinking if you had a proper mold and some glow powder, you might be able to do some interesting GITD projects.

EDIT: Just re-read your post and realize you want more of a flow going on. Might need a lavalamp type setup or something similar. Good luck.

Last edited:

Skylighter

Enlightened
I am tending to doubt that would suspend the glow powders. But you definately can take a note from the gel candle makers. They put glow sand on the bottom of the candle and pour clear gel over top. This keeps the clarity of the gel and lets the powder reflect off of the glass. The effect is very impressive.

See our article on glow in the dark candles for more info.