Wow, these Rebels are TINY!! Modded my Nuwai X-1

munkybiz_9881

Enlightened
I just recieved some rebels for some modding and holy cow, these things are microscopic!!!!

I had to laugh while telling myself, "I need a smaller soldering iron, much smaller!"

Should work perfectly in the LO, single AAA sized lights though, once I figure out how to mount them.:thinking:

Last edited:

Bushman5

Enlightened
Re: Wow, these Rebels are TINY!!!!

are the rebels brighter than the cree?

munkybiz_9881

Enlightened
Re: Wow, these Rebels are TINY!!!!

Some say yes, some say no. As far as the actual binning specs, Im not sure. The Q5 Cree may be higher, some one else should chime in here. The rebel R-100 pumps out 180 lm @ 750 ma or so.

I have to voice my opinion here, the Rebels for a flashlight modder are a Major PITA. :sick2::sick2::mad::mad::sigh::sigh:

Did my first Rebel mod yesterday, Modding a Nuwai X-1 with a R-100
Very nice now that its done but almost gave up twice and one R-100 paid the ultimate price. I slipped with the tweezers and tore the dome right off. :poof:

Im sure if you were going to use the boards that they had designed for Rebels this may be a little easier, but I fabricated the entire mod. I mounted the Rebel on two .030 spacers for a seoul that I clipped one edge from(made sort of a "D" shape out of them). Artica Alumina'd everthing to the LE top, soldered some wires to the anode and cathode. Then packed the entire recessed area with AA. I also covered the top of everything with aluminum duct sealing tape to take care of some of the uglyness around the exposed hole in the reflector. Learned a lot, but may not try used bare rebels any more. The Rebels are so small it is very tedious work. I was doing everything with tweezers,One little slip, and :poof:, your out 10 bucks!

Overall output of the x-1 now is improved, its somewhere between the medium and high on my P3D-R100 and just dimmer than a stock Inova XO3. Im guessing(purely guessing) the lumens to somewhere between 70-80, not to bad for 1 AA cell, and a 10 dollar emitter. Don't know about runtime but I bet its close to the same, Draw at the battery didn't change, 740ma before and after.

Last edited: