Night vision LED "GEEK GLASSES"

X-CalBR8

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Night vision LED

I think a better and (in the long run) much more cost effective solution would be to epoxy (or attach with rubber bands or whatever) 2 Arc AAAs on to a pair of reading glasses. With the ones mentioned in the ad, you are bound to be using expensive little watch batteries to get them in that small of a package. Replacing expensive, hard to replace watch batteries every few hours would not be very fun, but with 2 Arcs you would only have to replace 2 very cheap AAAs or better yet, you could always just use rechargeables and put the operating cost down to zero. Seems like a nice idea to try sometime.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*

Wonder how change the batteries in those things, and wonder if the LED will end up in the rug and fall prey to the hungry, hungry vacume cleaner. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

x-ray

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
INRETECH said:
Can I use HELIOS or MEGA6 flashlights for my "geek glasses" ?

[/ QUOTE ]

Only if your prescription glasses look like this:

fl050014.jpg

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

highlandsun

Enlightened

Y'know, that's pretty much what I had assembled myself last week. I s'pose it's no surprise that I'm a geek though.

Of course, I used 26 gauge wire and connected both LEDs together with the battery in a croakie strap. And I used red LEDs, which preserves your night vision if you don't care about color rendering...

I also tried the single red LS on the glasses-bridge trick. That was a bit too much, the red light reflected off what you're reading is too intense. When you switch off the light you get this cool blue after-image though, which gives you the illusion of being able to see in the dark.

shipinretech

Enlightened

Actually, it is perfectly acceptable to use a Helios adapter for reading glasses if you are extremely farsighted and have arms that are 1,500 inches or longer. Personally, I use a Compaq iPaq that has a brightly lit screen to read books from <www.baen.com>.

Brody

Newly Enlightened

I have found that with my inretech 2AA flashlight, if I completely unscrew the lens cap and take it off, it makes an excellent reading light. You just need to be sure to put the lens cap on again to turn the light off. (or if you get a kroll tailcap switch, you can use that)

INRETECH

Flashlight Enthusiast

You can take the cap off and put the flashlight into it, this is the "candle mode" feature of the original flashlight