32 AA size batteries from one 6-volt Lantern Battery

Marduke

Flashaholic
Most 6 volt lantern batteries have 4 F cells inside. This looks fishy to me also, since the 32 batteries would be soldered together, not just laying in there loose. One other thing, the lantern battery says "Heavy Duty" on the side, which means that is a low grade of carbon zinc battery. That is worse than "Super Heavy Duty" which is a better carbon zinc, or even cheap alkaline batteries, which are this cheap when bought in bulk.

Edit: Just looked, the video is from the site gagfilms.com, which confirms my suspicions. It's totally bogus, you get 4 F cells, not 32 AA.

Last edited:

Bushman5

Enlightened
well, just for poops and giggles i'm going to buy a a lantern batt today and see what happens when i gut it. I can think of plenty of LED lights i got that would run a long time on cheap AA's

macdude22

Newly Enlightened
Yea but can't you buy like 12 heavy duty cells for a buck at Wal Mart?

MorePower

Enlightened
well, just for poops and giggles i'm going to buy a a lantern batt today and see what happens when i gut it. I can think of plenty of LED lights i got that would run a long time on cheap AA's

You'll get 4 F cells. Or possibly 4 D cells and some spacer material.

Illum

Flashaholic
6V batteries most likely use F cells
packaged D cells are fat and will protrude out the sides...so you might find two pairs of naked Ds sandwiched inside

I'm not sure how does 32 AA sized batteries fit inside a casing of that sort...I've extracted many many F cells from "heavy duty" battery packs...theres not really that much room in one

second, carbon zinc has really really low capacity and a very very high possibility of leaking, its cheap in design for the manufacturers to include in their gadgets to power them for the first minute of your use.

Illum

Flashaholic
Some nine Volt batteries contain AAAA not AAA.
Norm

some?
9Vs don't use AAA, it has always been "snout-less" AAAAs...anyone who tried using 9V AAAAs for their styluses know its slightly shorter to compensate for the contacts underneath in assembly
:thanks: for pointing that out

Norm

Retired Administrator
some?
9Vs don't use AAA, it has always been "snout-less" AAAAs...anyone who tried using 9V AAAAs for their styluses know its slightly shorter to compensate for the contacts underneath in assembly
:thanks: for pointing that out
I didn't say some nine Volt batteries use AAA what I meant was some use AAAA other use a flat stack of cells.

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have yet to see the ones with stacked cells
they aren't universal button cells are they?
In my experience the more expensive 9v batteries have AAAAs, while the cheaper ones have square (not button) cells.
On this topic: are the single flat cells any use? What's their capacity, and what are they called?

lctorana

Flashlight Enthusiast
are the single flat cells any use?
No - no metal contacts; you can't connect to them.

What's their capacity?
About 100mAh-ish (zinc-carbon)

what are they called?
F22

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
How can they possibly have no metal contacts? How do they pass the energy to the other cells in series and to the battery terminals?

Illum

Flashaholic
probably pressed to contact when they stacked them and then crimped the tops down

I'm going to take apart one of the "flower power" heavy duty 9Vs pak-lites come with and see for myself...unfortunately my cameras currently on vacation with someone else:ohgeez:

EDIT: actually I did a search on it....theres a "9V compatible" cell consisting of 6 F22s stacked, looked nothing like a 9V

EDIT: lctorana, what bothers me is that its slightly shorter and fatter to say, duracell

:thanks: for pointing that out Fenris

Last edited:

lctorana

Flashlight Enthusiast
Erm - mean to say you've NEVER dismantled a zinc-carbon 9v (or 15 or 22.5 or 45 or 67.5 or 90v) battery?

They are graphite-y carbon on one side, and something sooty and black on the other. And waxed cardboard or plastic on the sides. Some brands do have a metal plate on one side of each cell, but not all.

Trust me - it's both messy and pointless.

lctorana

Flashlight Enthusiast
Your edit puzzles me - that looks EXACTLY like a 9v battery to me - it's certainly what I was talking about - what were you expecting?

Eveready 216 / English PP3.