Lighthound 3volt RCR123a Protected, or not ?

VerbalK

Newly Enlightened
hi all,

is there someone who bought and is using this batteries from lighthound ?
http://www.lighthound.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1158&HS=1

it seem to me that they are unprotected, i have discharge them down to 1.7V and no cut off (i don't want go more down). I ask to lighthound which tension is the cut off, but they answer me, they don't no.

I don't want to keep unprotected batteries.

thanks

FlashCrazy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not familiar with those particular batteries, but from the specifications listed it looks like they are protected. You said you ran them down to 1.7V, with no apparent cut-off function kicking in from the batteries. Was this in a non-regulated LED flashlight? If so, that's probably why the protection circuitry didn't kick in. The light will draw less and less current as the battery drains, and even though the voltage may be less than the cut-off point of the battery, the protection circuit doesn't "sense" it as low voltage.

A way to check the battery would be to put it in a known regulated flashlight, like a Fenix. This type of light will continue to drawn a high current out of the battery as the battery drains, and the protection circuit should kick in at the proper voltage. Better yet, use a lithium charger that has a discharge function.

Hope this helps!

JuanMijangos

Newly Enlightened
I´m using this batteries with my mini-D and notice the same issue. The voltage of the battery drops from 3.6 to 1.5 when depleted, but doesn´t shut down. I have two of this batteries and both behave the same.

Daniel.