The Mutaytor's biomechanical LED technology

Mutie

Enlightened
The Mutaytor\'s biomechanical LED technology

Since I have neither constructor or beamshots I do not feel worthy of posting this in the homemade and modified forum. Still I'm quite proud of my work on the show we did Friday so I wanted to share.

Fire is normally a big part of our show. I can't really safely use fire and I've been trying to push LEDs mainstream and I really got my chance. Even before the Great White fire pretty much killed fire and pyrotechnics inside clubs we were told we would not be able to use fire since a fire marshal would be required for the duration of the show. So when you get served some lemons it's time to make LEDonade.

My work was to create female Mutechs using my biomech LED technology. 2 suitable donors were obtained who not only volunteered willingly but added some whole new design aspects to the project. These first pics are Sylvie.

sylvie3.jpg

LED gear consists of LED antenna with dangling LEDs, LED choker, and LED fingers. On my gear there are also bra blasters and 1w ls/o on my palms which you can just see at the lower right. The skirt and bra and everything is skinned with custom latex fluorescent monster skin.
sylvie2.jpg

Hargo with his spinning LED Jaal, me, and Sylvie.
hargo_mute_sylvie.jpg

Another shot of Sylvie and me.
mute_sylvie.jpg

A couple of group shots from the end. So far I haven't got a good picture with all four of us that gives the LEDs justice. Tutech (my clone) is on the left and KJ (Sylvie's clone) is on the lower right in one and in the middle of the other.
group.jpg

group2.jpg

The complete photo series is here.

I feel very priveleged to be part of this group. We are somewhere in between Stomp, Blue Man Group and Cirque du Soleil visually. Musically is hard to say it is very approachable by anyone and the best description I've heard is tribal techno. Our web page is here. Excuse the mess the site is being redone by professionals and I'm just doing maintenance and minor changes on something I inherited and my web skills are still very basic.

If any of you modders would be interested in doing stuff way outside the box please contact me as I'm very interested (as are our performers) in pushing the envelope even further. And I really have to say that since coming here I've been quite humbled at what I thought I knew about LEDs and quite amazed at what some of you are doing with it. I only wish that I had the skills and vision to be able to do some of what I see coming out of this group.

We will be playing at Coachella this April with Blue Man Group and the Red Hot Chili Peppers and it's also going to be my birthday. How cool is that? I am so lucky to be part of this band.

Anyway I hope you get an idea of my passion for LED technology and some new areas where I would like to take it.

Josh

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: The Mutaytor\'s biomechanical LED technology

you don't see LED bras every day /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif Did you do the led set up? if so good job!looks complex.

Bushman

Flashlight Enthusiast

Talk about "out of the box" good job guys err... girls er... Well Great job people!!!!

Mutie

Enlightened

Josh,

If I get my way LED bras will be seen everyday. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I did all the LED work myself but it's really low tech just series/parallel strings direct drive off 9v. Being on this board has finally convinced me to start using some resistors to regulate the current and get longer battery life.

Darkaway,

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif. But really you are close enough that you should come and see us.

Bushman,

Tutech and I are guys. But KJ and Sylvie are girls, trust me on this. And let me fill you in on a secret. We get way more attention from the girls when we're dressed up. As guys we might as well be invisible. Dressed up they come to us.

Last Monday night was very surreal. Sylvie and KJ were over at my lab to figure out their skirts. "These are sitting up way too high. We need to do something about this. Do you have some scissors? By the way how do you sew the latex on?" So I handed her some tin snips. "Sew? Well you can if you really want. I use hot glue and weatherstrip adhesive."

"Cool, that's way easier than sewing. I like that."

After 20 years of making monsters, aliens, and mutated armor that just doesn't cut it anymore. Doing girls stuff is where it's at. And (as you can see) it's some hot stuff.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

[ QUOTE ]
Mutiny Sfears said:
Josh,

But KJ and Sylvie are girls, trust me on this.

[/ QUOTE ]

oh!...whew...

Mutie

Enlightened

Ted,

I totally understand. The last thing I want is guys hitting on me, I'm just not that kind of girl. And I don't want to make a mistake and hit on someone that might look like me either.

Leddite,

I wish. As soon as it's cheap enough though I'll incoporate it into some of my costume designs.

leddite

Enlightened

make me want to put funky LED technology in my juggling
clubs [again] :>

i have some pretty spiffy clear juggling balls powered by 9v battery, essentially waterproof; no driver circuitry, all direct, no flashing/blinking. lots of fun.

if i had the $300 PER ball, i'd order a set of those wondrous things the karamozov brothers use from that english company. they are programmable multi-modal rechargable beasties. the best mode, imho, is a 95% red with a 5% (or so) blue FLASH cycle, which provides the effect of a red ball with a blue halo. let's see, a set of 5 would be just ... *cough* and for passing, well, need at least 7 or 8... *cough* uh no :>

now, for club swinging, i've found the krill sticks to be pretty fantastic (cuz i can turn them OFF when i want), regular chem stix okay. i keep eyeing the super bright LED toys i see here and there. hmmmm. practice practice.

woo

Rothrandir

Flashaholic

you're a girl! the second girl in cpf history?

how you doin'? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Mutie

Enlightened

Ummmmmmmmmm no.

Mutech Corp. is an evil, faceless, intergalactic corporation specializing in genetic modification and weapons, biomechanical technology, third world hazmat dumps, nuclear proliferation, mercenary services, and general exploitation.

The bride of Mutech was a tragic lab accident involving our own Dr. Darryl E. Licht.

Teen Raver Barbie is Mutech's latest weapon in the war against ravers equipped with realtime paisley pattern generators using genetically modified firefly and chameleon DNA, Mutel Obtanium processors, biomech graphical user interface, UV latex armor, glowing LEDs, and Black Rock edition anti spectator tactical shields.

Finally I would suggest carefully rereading the replies.

However thank you for your interest in the fine line of Mutech products.

Tree

Flashlight Enthusiast

In one post: [ QUOTE ]
Mutiny Sfears said:
Tutech and I are guys

[/ QUOTE ]

Then later in another post:[ QUOTE ]
Mutiny Sfears said:
I'm just not that kind of girl.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm a bit confused. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif Don't worry I get confused easily. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

Bushman

Flashlight Enthusiast

Ithink he was being silly... Mutany Sfears is a male... As far as I can tell from what he has said.

Greta

Flashaholic

Mutiny... do you do rave parties as well?

Mutie

Enlightened

Tree,

My tongue was planted firmly in cheek on that second statement. I'm desparately trying to avoid that tired old cliche that most males use.

Sasha,

We do private parties too. As to whether they are a Rave or not is probably a matter of semantics. In the sense of that idiotic Rave act that they were trying to push through congress no. We require ID and 21 or older as there is usually alchohol being served. When we do shows where we know it's going to be mostly kids I stay out as my character is just not suitable for younger kids (we did the LA junior achievement awards at the Beverly Hilton and also a middle school out in Palm Springs).

Regarding Raves. I doubt you could tell the difference other than that our crowd is generally over 21. This is something that happened to my community which many in the band are part of but this was before then. For New Years eve 98 we did a campout out at El Mirage. Having just met shortly before at Burning Man we posted our party to the general Burning Man list which the BLM reads. They forwarded it to the Barstow BLM who completely flipped out without checking any of the facts and called in the San Bernardino Rave Task Force. So around noon about 10 or 15 of our group is there sitting around when 5 SUV's full of sheriffs with drawn weapons show up to bust us. They searched all the vehicles and took everybody's licenses and ran warrant checks and kept asking where the cash box was. Our group was perfectly reasonable and answered all their questions politely and there was nothing illegal at all. But they still kicked us out. I think mainly because they looked like total idiots for not contacting anybody listed and way over reacting to an innocent situation. All told there might have been maybe 150 people max that night. And no teens. I forget what pretext they kicked us out on but who is going to argue and go to jail for their rights?

Ever since then we've had an ongoing joke about naked underage teen ravers on X (which I loosely associate with teen raver Barbie) and particular wariness about Raves.

Bushman

Flashlight Enthusiast

Mutiny, Please forgive me but I don't even know what a rave is or what a "rave party" is, can you explain it please?

sincerely,

Confused...

Mutie

Enlightened

Bushman,

As far as I know I've been a teen raver since 1970 when I bought my first blacklight, blacklight posters, a strobe light and started listening to rock and roll after I turned 13. And probably even more so in 1975 when I discovered electronic music and LEDs.

As far as I know the Mutaytor has only done one technical, legal rave at the Metropolis event at 3Com stadium last July.

Here is an excerpt from the Rave Act of 2002. You can read the full act here. This version was withdrawn but there is a new version with a different name and they are trying to sneak the provisions in under a different bill. Plug "rave act" into Google if you want to know more.

Congress finds the following:
(1) Each year tens of thousands of young people are initiated into the drug culture at 'rave' parties or events (all-night, alcohol-free dance parties typically featuring loud, pounding dance music).
(2) Some raves are held in dance clubs with only a handful of people in attendance. Other raves are held at temporary venues such as warehouses, open fields, or empty buildings, with tens of thousands of people present.
(3) The trafficking and use of 'club drugs', including 3, 4-Methylenedioxymethamphetamine (Ecstasy or MDMA), Ketamine hydrochloride (Ketamine), Flunitrazepam (Rohypnol), and Gamma hydroxybutyrate (GHB), is deeply embedded in the rave culture.
(4) Many rave promoters go to great lengths to try to portray their events as alcohol-free parties that are safe places for young adults to go to dance with friends, and some even go so far as to hire off-duty, uniformed police officers to patrol outside of the venue to give parents the impression that the event is safe.
(5) Despite such efforts to convince parents that raves are safe, promotional flyers with slang terms for Ecstasy or pictures of Ecstasy pills send the opposite message to teenagers, and in effect promote Ecstasy along with the rave. According to the National Drug Intelligence Center, raves have become little more than a way to exploit American youth.
(6) Because rave promoters know that Ecstasy causes the body temperature in a user to rise and as a result causes the user to become very thirsty, many rave promoters facilitate and profit from flagrant drug use at rave parties or events by selling over-priced bottles of water and charging entrance fees to 'chill-rooms' where users can cool down.
(7) To enhance the effects of the drugs that patrons have ingested, rave promoters sell--
(A) neon glow sticks;
(B) massage oils;
(C) menthol nasal inhalers; and
(D) pacifiers that are used to combat the involuntary teeth clenching associated with Ecstasy.

I left off the rest. It makes me too angry. I immensely dislike having my rights at risk for doing something I enjoy that some idiots have abused and other idiots believe they are helping me.

So point by point.
(1) All apply except alchohol free. Our performers also do not drink until after our show.
(2) Ok, so what. We have performed in almost every scenario. You can't have amplified music or a big party in a residential setting.
(3) I don't care where you go if you want drugs you can probably find them.
(4) We have security. You have to. We have had one incidence of a stalker. Other than that there are people who indulge too much and can become problems. We don't target young adults or that our events are safe. At Burning Man the ticket says "You assume the risk of serious injury and/or death by attending this event."
(5) Doesn't apply to us at all and I have yet to see a flyer for any event that does this. What drugs are these guys on?
(6) We always sell bottled water. Dehydration is always an issue and more so with alcohol. Many of our attendees don't drink alcohol either. For our performers we make sure that they aren't getting dehydrated and provide water and gatorade. And chill rooms? You bet. You dance for an hour in a crowded environment or on stage and see if you aren't overheating.
(7) They forgot LED toys. We encourage people to bring glow sticks and we use them in our performance. Besides it's frequently dark and you need light. The other items we don't use or sell but they were all present at 3Com.

Sorry you kind of sent me off on a rant.The fact that Congress deems it neccessary to extend the crack house provisions to cover almost any event as probable cause to be busted for the actions of a statistical minority and penalize the promoters for taking safety and security measures that are needed is just insane. What they deem a rave could apply to just about anything.

Greta

Flashaholic

Mutiny... the Nocturnal Wonderland takes place acrossed the lake from where I live. The drugs come into here first and are taken by boat over to the Rave. Last year, 5 guys were busted in a hotel here with enough crack and X to keep this whole town up for a month. They had to call in my husband to deal with these guys... wanna know why? 'Cuz my husband is the only guy on the force who speaks Persian Farsi. I'm glad Congress is clamping down. I don't need this crap in my town.

Mutie

Enlightened

Sasha,

I have little use or tolerance for drug abusers and dealers whether they be legal or not. Probably even less for alcohol abusers as I've had to deal with my share of them. I have even less tolerance for those who do not take responsibility for their own actions. And im my opinion the trend towards making everybody responsible for the actions of a few who won't is merely encouraging people to abuse it even more. Fairness and responsibility cannot be legislated.

The state of our education system is a good example. Many parents have abrogated their responsibility to raise their kids. They expect and demand that the schools do so while at the same time denying the schools the moral and monetary support to do so. In turn many teachers overworked and underpaid and saddled with responsibilities that are not theirs let the kids slip through. Then when dear little Johnny can't cut it or even read after graduating those same parents are clamoring to sue everybody involved.

This Rave act is another misguided attempt to hold others responsible for the actions of a few who won't and is in turn based on myths and incorrect information. Furthermore it bypasses due process since once your assets are seized under the crack house provisions it is up to you to prove that they weren't acquired illegally or that you had no knowledge of what was occuring. It won't reduce drug use one iota while at the same time exposing many legimate people to draconian prosecution for taking responsible and/or reasonable measures for common sense actions and making them responsible for events they have no control over.

Imagine if you will that similar measures were imposed against football and baseball franchises and stadiums holding them responsible for the actions of their fans whom attend and legally drink alcohol and then get into fights and/or drive drunk from the event. These are promoted as safe, family events, security is present, all items are drastically overpriced, alcohol use is encouraged (but drink responsibly), the events are promoted, patrons are subject to dehydration from sitting in open sunlight for hours at time, shade is provided should they need to get away from the sun and they know for a fact that people are going to drink (probably one of their biggest profit makers) and that a minority is going to over indulge. And of course we all know that wearing team colors promotes gang activity.

Yes I fully realize that that is completely ludicrous. It is however the same logic and circumstances used to justify this bill applied to an all American activity.

I don't like drug abuse or drinking too much either. But targeting me personally (I'm webmaster for our site therefore I'm a promoter) for actions of others beyond my control and targeting me for needed and necessary measures for my and my band members personal safety and well being that prove (ok give probable cause) I'm promoting drug use is ridiculous. And it's pretty damn scary realizing that you could be arrested for going to a campout with your family and friends and not doing anything wrong.

According to this bill anyone here who has a krill light is probably an ectasy user. Sorry Craig I read a review on your website. I'll not even mention the rav'n lights, beaming poi and green hair.