Utilikey

Qoose

Enlightened
I could suggest that everyone pick one of these up, but then I wouldn't feel as spiffy when fixing things with a key. This has turned into the most used tool that I carry. In fact, it's the only tool that I carry almost every day.

http://www.swisstechtools.com/productdetail.aspx?PID=VZ75GDTdP68A
utilikey_open.gif

I drive a fair bit, so my car keys are always on me. Certain times, having a real knife is not allowed, and I don't feel like lugging a heavier multitool. I like to keep my keychain extra light. This thing has saved my life.

It's really well designed. The locking clip is a little steel nub, with a great tactile click, and locks tight. I've used it for maintaining compters, fixing glasses, opening up lights, and cutting paper and plastic.

Of course, it's still relativley low duty. For serious tooling, I use the FOB on my keychain to open my car, and pull out a real knife or tool.

THE_dAY

Flashlight Enthusiast
great tiny tool, have one on my keychain as well.
it has come in handy many times.
i had to sand down the mini flat head screw driver area to have it fit into those tiny screws for glasses and such.

NeonLights

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've had one on my key ring for years. I have to pass through a metal detector on my way into work, and we're not supposed to have knives at work, so the utilikey doesn't get a second glance on my key ring, and neither does my titanium card in my wallet.

I love the utilikeys, I'll sometimes clip one to the titanium chain around my neck that my ARC AAA-P rides on, and with those two tools, I have most common every-day emergencies covered without any other bulky multi-tools or knives on my person.

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
My wife's Util-Key fell off her key ring just a few days after I bought it for her. Luckily, I carry a flashlight and found the Util-Key on the ground in a dark, snowy parking lot.

To make sure the Util-Key stays put, I made a small "sheath" from a section of wire insulation. The insulation prevents the tool from opening until you remove it.

util-key.jpg

fasuto

Enlightened
WOW, a key photoshopped, you are really concerned about security :eek:

jcompton

Enlightened
I've had one on my key ring for years. I have to pass through a metal detector on my way into work, and we're not supposed to have knives at work, so the utilikey doesn't get a second glance on my key ring, and neither does my titanium card in my wallet.

Hopefully that wouldn't be the case at an airport these days...:eek:

ChopperCFI

Newly Enlightened
I've had mine in my backpack with the car keys and have gone through airport security more than a dozen times this year alone. It has never got a second look. Unfortunately, last week when TSA was looking for my IDL T7 multitool, they stumbled on the Utilikey by accident and took it. They finally found the T7, which has no blade, and said it was fine.

Strange that they allow you to take scissors with 4" blades and pointed tips, but the 3/4" blade of the Utilikey is unacceptable. Your tax dollars at work.

gorn

Enlightened
I have used one of these for years. I love them. I found an online store about a year ago that still has the gold ones in stock so I ordered a few of them.

Right before I retired I was sent a current FBI disguised weapon/terrorist weapon information .pdf file. The Utilikey was in there. Well I guess if fingernail clippers are on the no fly list the Utlikey should be too....

Marduke

Flashaholic
I have used one of these for years. I love them. I found an online store about a year ago that still has the gold ones in stock so I ordered a few of them.

Right before I retired I was sent a current FBI disguised weapon/terrorist weapon information .pdf file. The Utilikey was in there. Well I guess if fingernail clippers are on the no fly list the Utlikey should be too....

This is the list. However, this is not the list that TSA uses to identify all prohibited items. I am sure they have a similar publication in training, but this particular list is published by the FBI for other purposes of general concealed items.

Norm

Retired Administrator
Tap the rivet gently with a hammer on an anvil or similar and your wife's key won't fall open. In fact mine is a little too tight and has always been that way. Good idea blanking out your keys.
Norm
My wife's Util-Key fell off her key ring just a few days after I bought it for her. Luckily, I carry a flashlight and found the Util-Key on the ground in a dark, snowy parking lot.

To make sure the Util-Key stays put, I made a small "sheath" from a section of wire insulation. The insulation prevents the tool from opening until you remove it.