Rant About Bicyclists

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diesel_Bomber

Flashlight Enthusiast
I live on a two lane windy country road. There are many turns and twists, dips and hills. The speed limit is 55 mph, most people go 65-70. There have always been occasional bicyclists which haven't been a problem, but this year it's gotten BAD.

Today I came around a corner, doing 45 mph or so, and right in front of me are bicyclists riding THREE ABREAST. Taking up the whole lane. Traffic in the oncoming lane and an 8 foot ditch on the other side. I'm in a fullsize 4x4 dually work truck. The loaded 30 foot gooseneck trailer that I'm towing weighs around 25k alone. Total weight probably 35 or 38k lbs. It doesn't stop that fast. I blasted the horn and got ready to throw the whole thing in the ditch, but the bicyclists scattered. It was a VERY near miss.

I'm going to drive slower, but this just can not continue. I know there are a lot of bicyclists on this board, and I'm going to assume that you're all responsible. If you didn't know: Ride where there's a bike lane. If you can't, please please PLEASE ride single file and as close to the shoulder as you can. Keep track of the traffic around you and if you hear a vehicle coming and they won't be able to swerve into the opposite lane, please get on the shoulder. I don't care that it's gravel and your tires won't handle it, your tires are replaceable and your life is not. I was willing to throw my truck and a bunch of someone else's equipment on it's side in the ditch so I wouldn't smear someone. However, I shouldn't have to make that choice, and who knows if the next person will make the same choice?

End rant, thanks for reading. :buddies:

Supernam

Enlightened
Your rant is much warranted. I am a cyclist myself and I believe that it's the cyclist's responsibility to ride in the bike lane. Where there isn't a bike lane, they should be in a single file line, hugging the side of the road. Yes, lay on your horn if you approach cyclists taking up the road and there is no safe way to go around. Cyclists usually cruise around 20-25mph, so even at 45, you catch up very quickly. A honk right when you see them is the best bet.

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast
I applaud your rant. Sensible words well said.

As a cyclist myself I often see appalling behaviour by people. cyclists and drivers alike.

Here in London, a cyclist takes his/her life in their hands if they decide to cycle in rush hour. The Buses and Taxis are worst. The former because some of them don't seem to care about tailgating a bicycle at speed !!! Or pulling out of a stop when a cyclist is already half way along the bus, causing the cyclist to skid to a stop or veer out into oncoming traffic. The latter because they often don't seem to understand what signals are for! I have experienced all of these examples of homicidal behaviour personally and have thus far survived unscathed (Plus, I try not to cycle in rush hour!)

But the worst, most stupid type of road protocol I have yet to experience is from other cyclists. Riding along in traffic with:
No lights in the dark.
No hands on the handelbars (IE showing off)
On their phones.
Eating sandwiches etc.
Riding on the pavement
Riding the wrong way down busy one way streets.
Veering left and right without signals into traffic or pedestrians.
Riding too close to parked cars with the inevitable door-open-chest-ripping moments.
But most of all, the thing which really gets up driver and pedestrian noses and which might even cause some people to have a grudge against cyclists and cause 'D@MN YOU CYCLIST!!' moments of madness is... running red lights. Even weaving in and out of traffic just to get across a junction when you should be stopping when the lights are against you. Ask any bus or taxi driver why they hate cyclists and I'm sure that will be at the top of the list.

Cyclists need to be good road users too.

Another rant over!!!:crackup:

Be lucky...

Hug a cyclist...

WNG

Enlightened
Glad it was only a near miss and not road kill.

As a cyclist sharing the roads for over 30 years, what allows me to remain enjoying this pastime is knowing and adhering to the rules of the road.
Bicycles are always supposed to go with the direction of traffic in that lane, stay to the far side, and single file. Also use hand signals when needed, and obey stop signs and lights.

As more mainstream public enter the sport for commuting or recreation, the level of operator error due to ignorance and/or entitlement shall rise. People in general take a pretty dumb-*** attitude towards doing things that they really should pay attention to someone with experience.

This seems to be true of bicyclists, motorcyclists, car/truck drivers, commercial vehicle operators, recreation boaters, and ATVers.
Get killed, or worst, kill others.
Sad.

Ever notice that there are certain people who just shouldn't operate any kind of machinery?

jtr1962

Flashaholic
But the worst, most stupid type of road protocol I have yet to experience is from other cyclists. Riding along in traffic with:
No lights in the dark.
No hands on the handelbars (IE showing off)
On their phones.
Eating sandwiches etc.
Riding on the pavement
Riding the wrong way down busy one way streets.
Veering left and right without signals into traffic or pedestrians.
Riding too close to parked cars with the inevitable door-open-chest-ripping moments.
I agree with pretty much all of the above. As a cyclist it's my responsibility to allow space for faster traffic to pass me. Admittedly this isn't as much of an issue in urban riding where the cars may only be doing 30 to 40 mph compared to my 20-25 mph. And it's the responsibility of slower cyclists than myself to move right when I want to pass them. Unfortunately, I see all of the above stupidities on a daily basis. Riding the wrong way really annoys me the most. There are a fair number of cyclists who still cling to the idea that you're supposed to ride against traffic. The rules have been otherwise for at least a few decades, but this notion stubbornly persists.

Now I take issue with signaling. Most bikes aren't equipped with turn signals, although I admit it might be kind of a cool project. And almost nobody, including most drivers, knows the hand signals any more. The majority of drivers here in NYC don't even bother signaling. More importantly, hand signaling requires taking one of your hands off the bike. This is often more dangerous than not signaling, especially on streets where potholes pop up like mushrooms.

But most of all, the thing which really gets up driver and pedestrian noses and which might even cause some people to have a grudge against cyclists and cause 'D@MN YOU CYCLIST!!' moments of madness is... running red lights. Even weaving in and out of traffic just to get across a junction when you should be stopping when the lights are against you. Ask any bus or taxi driver why they hate cyclists and I'm sure that will be at the top of the list.
I take slight issue here as well. Now I hate cyclists who run through red lights at crowded intersections, weaving through traffic all the way across, with a purple passion. This is highly dangerous and obnoxious behavoir which I'll never do myself. On the other hand, I do admit going through red lights at low traffic intersections on a fairly regular basis. However, I only do so when it's completely clear. If things are partially blocking my view of cross traffic, I'll slow down enough to stop if need be. My rationale here is simple. I'm causing no harm, and the lights are far too many and poorly timed. Sometimes going through one red light means all greens for the next mile. Playing by the rules can mean getting stuck at every single light, often spaced one or two blocks apart. Besides being annoying, I have to run through six gears to get up to speed again. And it just takes all the joy out of riding. Nothing wrong with bending the rules a bit, provided you do it safely. I've yet to see any cyclist who will stop at every single red light or stop sign. For that matter, I see cars run lights around here fairly regularly so I look even if I have the green. There are even some cities which allow cyclists to basically treat red lights as stop or yield signs, depending upon the traffic. This is as it should be.

jtr1962

Flashaholic
As more mainstream public enter the sport for commuting or recreation, the level of operator error due to ignorance and/or entitlement shall rise. People in general take a pretty dumb-*** attitude towards doing things that they really should pay attention to someone with experience.
Sad but true. As cycling has become more common, I'm seeing more and more clueless cyclists. I think a large part of the bicycle helmet movement has been caused by the plethora of incompetent cyclists. 20 or 30 years ago almost nobody wore or even heard of helmets, yet I never heard of anyone getting in accidents where they might have helped, nor did anyone see any great need for them, even among children. Nowadays you read all sorts of "testamonials" on helmet advocacy sites about how a helmet saved the life of a cyclist whose incompetence was responsible for the accident in the first place. Besides not knowing how to fall correctly, here's a short list of a couple of common themes which caused these "accidents":

1) Sudden turns or stops when riding on loose pavement.
2) Riding too close to someone's rear wheel.
3) Riding into certain types of sewer gratings.
4) Riding into potholes.
5) Going too fast for conditions.
6) Making turns wihout looking.
7) Uninflated tires.
8) Riding with no hands.
9) Hitting the curb.
10) And finally for number 10 my favorite cycling idiot accident-the famous panic stop causing an endover. More often than not the cyclist didn't even need to hit their brakes but did so in a panic because "they felt they were going too fast on a downhill". Their attempt to avoid a potential crash actually ends up causing a real one. And not knowing how to modulate the front brake is about as stupid as it gets.

While it's great to see more people in this sport, the problem is that most newcomers just don't cycle regularly enough to get competent at it. And many people get their first bike as an adult after a long hiatus from cycling as children. They pretty much unlearned everything they may have known as a kid. Like I tell anyone contemplating getting into cycling-if you're going to cycle, then cycle. In other words, don't become a fair weather, weekend warrior. Do it several times a week, and all year round. Besides helping your overall fitness level more, you'll become a competent cyclist faster. The majority of bad cycling crashes happen during that critical first 1000 miles. Many who get past that stage will often go on cycling for years without any more crashes. The majority of my crashes happened during my first few years of cycling. Nearly all of them were from going into potholes on poorly lit streets. I hit another cyclist once when riding on the sidewalk at an intersection (didn't see them, poor visibility). I hit a couple of doors. I was also rear-ended by cab while waiting to turn left. This was 100% their fault since the driver felt I was blocking him from turning left also (I was simply waiting for opposing traffic to clear), then purposely hit me. These crashes all happened during my first few years of cycling, and I'll readily admit that my own incompetence/inexperience caused all of them except the taxi incident. I haven't had a crash or fall of any kind for probably the last six or seven years. Besides giving myself an out, I'm much better at seeing and/or avoiding situations. Being able to recover from near falls also helps. A few weeks ago I was turning right and my pedal hit the ground (yes, I know, stupid of me to put the right pedal down on a right turn). 99% of cyclists would have fallen but I instinctively turned the handlebars the opposite way and avoided crashing. Unfortunately the all too common weekend warrior cyclist will just not be experienced enough to avoid, or recover, from things I routinely do.

DM51

Flashaholic
One method of discouraging cyclists from riding on the sidewalk is to shove a walking stick or furled umbrella through the spokes of their front wheel.

Last edited:

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*
I live on a two lane windy country road. There are many turns and twists, dips and hills. The speed limit is 55 mph, most people go 65-70. There have always been occasional bicyclists which haven't been a problem, but this year it's gotten BAD.

Today I came around a corner, doing 45 mph or so, and right in front of me are bicyclists riding THREE ABREAST. Taking up the whole lane. ...snip...

And what if there had been a broken down car in the lane? A fallen tree? You are NEVER supposed to be driving so fast that you can't stop in the distance you can SEE

I no longer ride - but remember - under the law, those cyclists are motor vehicles and have as MUCH right to that lane as you do (and yes, better live wrong than dead right)

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*
One method of discouraging cyclists from riding on the pavement is to shove a walking stick or furled umbrella through the spokes of their front wheel.

That's one method to get the other cyclists to get you plate, an be charged with attempted murder

havand

Enlightened
I live in a college town with lots of 'bike' lanes on the roads. The thing that gets me is the bicyclists that RIDE IN THE ROAD when there is a 3.5 foot shoulder SPECIFICALLY there for them to use. No, no. They have to ride 3 feet into the car lane. Typically, these riders are the 'wannabe professionals' with the expensive bike gear and shiny pants. The normal people typically ride in the bike lane. Then, just to top it off, they never stop for a stop sign. Ever. I've almost had several plow into the side of my car because we both had a stop sign and they felt the privilege of right of way, nomatter what. *twitch* Now, I ride a bike to class. I'll roll a stop if absolutely no one is in sight, but if anyone is even close, I stop. If there isn't, I still slow down.

Now, in areas where there is no bike lane, I have no problem sharing the road. I understand that.

Last edited:

jtr1962

Flashaholic
One method of discouraging cyclists from riding on the pavement is to shove a walking stick or furled umbrella through the spokes of their front wheel.
Maybe there's a language barrier or something but isn't pavement is the same thing as street? Or do you mean the part of the street where the cars would go (as opposed to the part near the shoulder where cyclists typically ride)? How could a cyclist not ride on the pavement, except if they either ride on the shoulder, or on the sidewalk?

jtr1962

Flashaholic
UK pavement = US sidewalk.
OK but I personally feel laws against sidewalk cycling make zero sense. Remember that in many instances the pavement (sidewalk) is actually safer for cyclists if the road has very heavy traffic. Cyclists and pedestrians should be able to share the same space provided cyclists don't use the pedestrians as their personal slalom course, and limit their speed to 20 mph at most, much less if the sidewalk is crowded. A cyclist shouldn't be faced with a choice of violating the law by sidewalk cycling, or getting killed riding in traffic. If/when the city provides cycling paths completely grade separated from auto traffic (that includes at intersections) then I'll be happy to stay off the sidewalks all the time. Since this is about as likely to happen as pigs flying, until then, if I feel it's safer on the sidewalk then that's where I ride. To be sure this isn't something I do with any regularity, but it does on occasion make for safer riding.

P.S. I never even came close to hitting a pedestrian on a sidewalk. Something shouldn't be illegal because a small percentage of morons, mostly idiot bike messengers or food delivery people, can't do it safely, or because some pedestrians (incorrectly) perceive it as unsafe. I'm not aware of anyone getting killed here by a sidewalk cyclist ever, yet every year people die from autos on the sidewalk.

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cyclists are bound by the same laws that govern automobile use. In California, the local law enforcement agencies are starting to crack down on "Rogue Cyclists."

On the other hand I do a fair amount of cycling myself and there are lots of rude car drivers out there. Too be fair there are lots of very courteous driver out there too.

kelmo

jtr1962

Flashaholic
Thinking about this a bit more, why on earth do people even choose to cycle on a road like that? I know they have every right to do so, but why would they want to? I went to college in NJ, and slept away for the first 3 semesters. I did ride there, but I absolutely hated riding on roads like that. The cars just plain move too fast. It's practically like riding on an expressway. I never felt safe. Sometimes cars would ride slightly in the shoulder, and whiz by at 60 to 70 mph. Had I or they been a little closer, they wouldn't have time to react. At that kind of speed difference, the narrow shoulders on those roads just aren't good enough. The only way I would cycle on roads like this is if I rode something like the Varna Diablo, and could more or less keep up with traffic. I really think for their own safety cyclists should stick to the slower backroads in rural areas. I feel way safer riding in the city despite the idiotic drivers. At least the speed difference is usually 15 mph or less. Heck, quite often I pretty much keep up with traffic.

sween1911

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree 100%.

WHAT THEY ARE DOING IS HIGHLY DANGEROUS.

I've come close to veering into oncoming traffic or plowing through someone's front yard when coming around a curve and seeing bicycles in the road, especially on rural backroads out here in PA. One of my nightmares would be to choose between crashing into the ditch on the shoulder or even worse getting into a head-on collision, or running over the cyclists in front of me. That cyclist could continue on, oblivious to the mortal danger they put everyone in, including themselves, because of some self righteous behavior.

This is very true in Seattle, we have a lot of cyclists. One thing that bothers me is when they ride on a highway, like SR-522 (35-45MPH), and they will go 15MPH almost in the middle of the right lane. There is a sidewalk that runs most of the length, and in places where there is one, they insist on riding in the middle of the street. If there's traffic in the left lane(s), I'm stuck in the right lane at 15MPH, and they know I'm there...they keep looking back at me like they expect me to blast past them and possibly hit their handlebar with my mirror.

One other thing that bothers me is when I'm driving on a dark road, with my carefully aimed sharp-cutoff headlights, and a group of bikers, each with their own flashing LED light shining right in my face comes around a corner and blinds me. Bike lights are getting brighter, and that's not a bad thing, but it's now to the point where they need to start changing the beam profile. They're causing more glare than car headlights, and when they strobe them, the effect is worse.

winston

Enlightened
I no longer ride - but remember - under the law, those cyclists are motor vehicles and have as MUCH right to that lane as you do (and yes, better live wrong than dead right)

I think I'm more aware of traffic laws than most bicyclists are. It's not often that I see a bicyclist wait for a green light before proceeding through a low-traffic intersection.
How many people would deny that bicyclists take liberties few motorists would take with traffic laws?
-Winston

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts