How long do charged 18650s last in storage?

gunfighter

Newly Enlightened
I'm new to the Li-Ion rechargables, but I do know that the CR123As have an advertised shelf-life of ten years.

How long can I expect a charged 18650 cell to last assuming it is stored in a reasonably stable environment?

Thanks

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Gunfighter,

Stored at around 35 F and 50% humidity and at about 50% state of charge, the current Li-Ion cells should be good for around 3 - 7 years.

Tom

ak645

Newly Enlightened
Hi gunfighter,

:welcome: It is said that the lifespan of Li-Ion battery is 5 to 7 years.I don't see any reason why a Li-Ion cell would completely lose its charge before that.I have a pair of AW 18500 protected I pulled off charger 10 months ago.They were at 4.21 volts then.They are at 4.13 volts now.If they continue at this rate after 5 years they'll still have half their charge left.

Andy

I'm new to the Li-Ion rechargables, but I do know that the CR123As have an advertised shelf-life of ten years.

How long can I expect a charged 18650 cell to last assuming it is stored in a reasonably stable environment?

Thanks

Supernam

Enlightened
I believe this test was already conducted and possibly still ongoing. As I recall, a fully charged LiIon cell will lose less than 5% of it's charge over one year.