Modifiying DX 200mw

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
I understand the original 200mw pointer from DX outputs nowhere near 200mw due to its AAA cells being unable to deliver enough power.
The question is: if one cut open the pointer, transplanted the diode in a bigger housing with added heatsinking and powered it with a 18650 LiFePO4 cell (or two in parallel if needed), would it get anywhere close to 200mw?
Or is the emitter itself underpowered?

Thanks.

BrokenR1

Newly Enlightened
What's the best way to test this laser for comparison? I just got mine today.

wondergimp

Newly Enlightened
The 200mW DX DOES output 200mW. However, this measurement also includes the near IR as well as the 532nm. The problem isn't the power source, its the lack of an IR filter. In reality, the DX200 outputs maybe 100mW of 532nm light (or less).

allthatwhichis

Enlightened
The 200mW DX DOES output 200mW. However, this measurement also includes the near IR as well as the 532nm. The problem isn't the power source, its the lack of an IR filter. In reality, the DX200 outputs maybe 100mW of 532nm light (or less).

:green: :sick2: :sick: :sigh:
icon8.gif

That sucks...

Falling... Why don't you just buy a plug in laser and tear it apart, or just go all the way and make one from "scratch"? Sounds like you have the knowledge and "itch" already. Why did you buy the DX for anyway, use wise?
I have a 30mW "lab style" laser from aixiz that I have recently taken the c mount 808nm diode out of to look at it. Seems like it would bee easy to replace it with a higher powered one. The laser looks just like a pointer but on a bigger scale. There is even a POT on the PSU/driver. :thumbsup: I can envision taking a big Mag light apart and putting one of these inside... Just a thought. :whistle:

Hemlock Mike

Enlightened
Wondergimp --

How did you measure the IR output ?? My DX200 has IR output in the 8 mW range, Perhaps your IR absorbative filter removes too much green and skewing your calculations. Are you using a silicon detector or thermal ??
Even the filters have to be calibrated.

Mike

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
Falling... Why don't you just buy a plug in laser and tear it apart, or just go all the way and make one from "scratch"?
If by "plug in laser" you mean the bare diode, those I've found are more expensive by themselves than the whole DX "pointer" assembly, which is why I'm thinking of buying the pointer and taking it apart to get at the diode.

Why did you buy the DX for anyway, use wise?
I didn't buy it, as I can't justify the expense with my limited finances. But if I did buy it it'd be merely for the sheer fun of having a raygun in my hand. :p

Wondergimp: does the 50/50 IR/visible rule apply to the other laser pointers sold by DX as well? Should I assume the "100mw" one actually outputs 50mw of visible laser and 50mw of infrared?

AJ_Dual

Enlightened
The DX lasers almost certainly DO have an IR filter in them.

DX did not know for certain the specs on some of the lasers they've gotten, so for the sake of honesty, indicated some models may not have them or didn't know for sure.

Everyone took that to mean "DX lasers don't have IR filtering" and ran with it.

The DX units that have been taken apart or studied on LPF have all had IR filtering.

Latest posts