bought enough lights...I want a laser

Illum

Flashaholic
yes...I'm hopelessly looking at DX...again:crazy:

Anyone know of a true 5-10mw greenie thats aligned, IR filtered, and all the beneficial properties a user would want [hopefully off DX] around $20-100 price range? no preferred cells, just not CR2 [edited]
highly doubt that true 20mw greenies would be below $100 so I'll leave that out. My maximum budget can handle is up to about $125 [saving accounts shot, thats all I have on me at the moment:shakehead]

I don't intend to light matches or pop balloons....I just want to have a decent laser in the collection:D

EDIT: I just realized an laser around this range that does not feed on AAAs would be impossible :ohgeez:

Last edited:

photonxiii

Newly Enlightened
highly doubt that true 20mw greenies would be below $100 so I'll leave that out. My maximum budget can handle is up to about $125 [saving accounts shot, thats all I have on me at the moment:shakehead]

Actually you could get a decent 55mW-75mW green laser pointer for that price now. :D

Illum

Flashaholic
I was originally looking at prices from wickedlaser and laser glow...thats where I concluded that anything above 20mw [it was 15 actually] would be impossible to buy for less than $100

I had my eye on wickedlaser's executive series 15mw [$100] but I was wondering if theres other recommendations available...

Last edited:

photonxiii

Newly Enlightened
Well the only "cheaper" alternative to wickedlasers and laserglow that I know of is techlasers. Before buying mine I canvassed around and they have the lowest prices I've seen so far.

Freyth

Enlightened
NOVALasers are pretty good from what I hear.

Here's a 65mW for $129:
http://www.novalasers.com/NOVAstore/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=3&idproduct=85

Or you can get the 45mW for $109:
http://www.novalasers.com/NOVAstore/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=3&idproduct=84

Besides, Novalasers tend to "underestimate" their mW ratings, so you basically get more than you paid for. There aren't many RMAs for Novalasers as far as I know, but if you choose to get a wickedlasers, you'll have a higher chance of RMAing it.

Last edited:

Aseras

Enlightened
Well anything below about 100mw is going to be AAA powered.

that said if you are going to go with a DX just get one of the high powered ones, or you'll regret it later.

Where in florida are you?

Illum

Flashaholic
from the looks of it, theres no quality lasers thats oriented in the US? whether its techlasers or novalasers they all extend from somewhere else :thinking:

Well anything below about 100mw is going to be AAA powered.

that said if you are going to go with a DX just get one of the high powered ones, or you'll regret it later.

Where in florida are you?

edited on the AAA part :thanks:
Yeah I don't plan on buying from DX as yet nothing has really set in stone
um...I'm less than 5 miles due West of the Kennedy Space Center...right on Merritt Island

photonxiii, all products from techlasers have IR filters in them correct?
I'm not sure if the gold ring toward the output end constitutes as a weak joint in the assembly....I have had many experiences with red pointers popping apart near the connect point just from dropping it waist high...the ones with "scratch resistant" bodies are a ridiculous joke at best.
the laser will be used indoors/outdoors as a tool, so its going to see scratches and [hopefully not] dents

I'm surprised by the price and now interested in the techlaser 35mw model for $100 [looks like my old red laser, the-only-one-pointer-with-good-memories-laser-pointer] and the nova X45

Last edited:

photonxiii

Newly Enlightened
photonxiii, all products from techlasers have IR filters in them correct?
I'm not sure if the gold ring toward the output end constitutes as a weak joint in the assembly....I have had many experiences with red pointers popping apart near the connect point just from dropping it waist high...the ones with "scratch resistant" bodies are a ridiculous joke at best.
the laser will be used indoors/outdoors as a tool, so its going to see scratches and [hopefully not] dents

I'm surprised by the price and now interested in the techlaser 35mw model for $100 [looks like my old red laser, the-only-one-pointer-with-good-memories-laser-pointer] and the nova X45

When I asked their customer support before, they said all their lasers have IR filters in them except for the infrared ones. I don't know about the joints though as I have yet to drop my red laser. :)

mdhammack

Newly Enlightened
Please pardon my ignorance, what is DX? A company site or something. I would like to purchase a laser myself and am very new to this stuff so I don't know all the lingo yet. Thanks

Illum

Flashaholic
Thanks guys, I decided to buy a used Techlaser 125mw for $175 from Jamesmark72

:poke: yeah um....thats alot of money...way more than my pay for a week:shakehead

then again, on the better side....buying a 35mw won't stop my curiosity on higher output models:nana:

marianne

Newly Enlightened
from the looks of it, theres no quality lasers thats oriented in the US?

i believe optotronics is in the US, i may be wrong though, then again you've already bought your laser and optotronics stuff starts at $360 anyway :) and nova isn't far, being in canada... the one nova laser i own (second hand X85) is really good, nice bright beam, i love it :)

Illum

Flashaholic
contrary to those laser enhanced pyromaniacs on the forum...the last thing I want is this thing starting a fire in my pants:devil:

I'm surprised by the design that only lasers over 300 or so mw has the "turnkey" safety function...I'll just have to be very careful with it:rolleyes:

lazerlover

Newly Enlightened
Just out of curiosity how does one site over-rate and under-rate their lasers, i'm talking about nova lasers specifically, doesn't it all come from the same seller? Would one seller get higher powered units and the other seller get lower powered units? If so, wouldn't they have to jack up the price or something, i'm really confused about all this power rating stuff, i thought they were made with the same diodes.

Freyth

Enlightened
Basically, they receive the same units, just that within a particular power range, they will label the laser for example X-65 with the avg power rating as >70.

I'm not really sure about this though.