gitd pain

f22shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
so i got some gitd paint from glowinc and it's more like glow particles in clear medium rather than a paint.
i found it hard to paint because there wasn't enough particles to get an even coat. then when you put more and more it gets thick and clumpy.

is there gitd vinyl stick available?

i ended up scratching my aspherical lens on my river rock by trying to clean off the gitd paint. definitely not an easy thing to do. i wouldn't recommend.
good thing is that i can paint my mag reflector without worrying about an even coat since it's all behind an aspherical lens. so not a total loss.

greenLED

Flashaholic
This may sound obvious but... did you shake the GID paint container first? I've used their paint plenty of times, and have not encountered what you're describing (unless I'm missing something about how you're applying the paint).

:thinking: I guess I should get off my lazy butt and finish that GID tape review/GB that I started working on a loooong while back.

Skylighter

Enlightened
Keep in mind that all glow in the dark paint is made from pigments, which are non-dissolved particles as opposed to a dye.

For large particle products like our V10, if you paint thinly over a dark background, you will see the individual particles.

This will happen if you use our premixed paint, epoxy, nail polish, acrylic sheet, vinyl tape, or any other medium that is truly clear.

Non-clear or poorly clear mediums will defract the light. The good part is that you can't see the individual particles. The bad news is that less light can get in AND less light can get out.

There are four ways to fix this.
1. Use a white background.
2. Paint thicker
3. Use a smaller particle product (typically less bright). or
4. Add a very small particle product like "Ultra Green Tiny" into the mix to fill in the gaps.

For #4, imagine filling a mason jar with large marbles. Now poor in sand. See how you can no longer see through it?

Hope this helps,

f22shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
This may sound obvious but... did you shake the GID paint container first? I've used their paint plenty of times, and have not encountered what you're describing (unless I'm missing something about how you're applying the paint).

:thinking: I guess I should get off my lazy butt and finish that GID tape review/GB that I started working on a loooong while back.

yes very vigorously.

my point is not to trash the product(as it's not a bad one) but to give my experience with it so others can learn.
the gitd "paint" will not look even. it has that kind of soft foam look as it's clear liquid and gitd powder which is like fine sand kind of size. which also means that it scratches like sand if you try to remove it.
i would recommend it for behind the lens or around the emitter if you are picky like me and want a uniform application. it would be more hidden.
maybe if the product was more finer and with more of the product and less of the clear. personally, i would give up ultimate glow for a more professional look. i think vinyl would be the solution in my case.

it's bright and lasts pretty long and the price is very fair i think.

so in conclusion, if you want very bright this is it but it wont go on evenly(not like a paint, don't like the way it's called paint) and if you make a mistake you'll scratch whatever it touches trying to remove it.

Last edited:

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
This was an issue with the latest batch of Glowinc paints. They're bright, but the GID particles were larger than usual.

They sell v.9 of the paint (* from last year) and the particle size is smaller, so less grit.

As long as you paint behind the bezel window you should be fine.

greenLED

Flashaholic
the gitd "paint" will not look even. it has that kind of soft foam look as it's clear liquid and gitd powder which is like fine sand kind of size. which also means that it scratches like sand if you try to remove it.
I understand your post better now, and I agree with what you're suggesting. For a smoother GID paint finish, I usually apply a final coat of clear nail polish. Or, you can use GID-epoxy, which gives an excellent finish.

f22shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
i assuming it was going to look like this which is super smooth.
gitdmagbezel.jpg

but it looks more like this, kinda soft foam look. just to illustrate was i'm trying to explain.
IMG_0007-6.jpg

greenLED

Flashaholic
That's because the mod in the top pic was made with GID+epoxy. I have yet to have a GID+epoxy mod come out "clumpy".

I've done exactly what you did around a Lux emitter using paint. The glow through the optic is just gorgeous.