PK Design Lab
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Milky L1 Information Thread Part 2

Flashaholic*

Default Re: Milky L1 Information Thread Part 2

One month after i say i gotta let these go b/c i already have one...i lose mine! ARGH... PM sent about getting a replacement.
    List of flashlights that used to be here has been removed (by me) to save our search function. NOW USE IT.

Quote Originally Posted by scottaw View Post
    One month after i say i gotta let these go b/c i already have one...i lose mine! ARGH... PM sent about getting a replacement.
    Mate! No good that you lost it, hopefully it will turn up soon for ya!
    BROZNEO

Wink2 Re: Milky L1 Information Thread Part 2

I am curious, does "standard" ML1 light (not ML1x) uses original L1 board or it has completely different electronics inside?
    Also what changes, if any are done with tailcap?

I would really appreciate if someone answers those questions or point me in right direction here in discussion forum.

Thanks,

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by mbely2 View Post
    I am curious, does "standard" ML1 light (not ML1x) uses original L1 board or it has completely different electronics inside?
    Also what changes, if any are done with tailcap?

I would really appreciate if someone answers those questions or point me in right direction here in discussion forum.

Thanks,

Mark
    Mark,
    The ML1 uses the stock Surefire L1 circuit. I don't believe Milkyspit does any changes to the tailcap unless you want a "super low" or "Med-Hi" secondary brightness, instead of the low.

I hope this answers your question.
    I miss my Milkmods.

Thumbs up Re: Milky L1 Information Thread Part 2

Thanks, Skalomax!

BTW, I love my Milkymods too!
    So far I have two: standard and eXtreme ML1. They are fantastic little lights!

Mark
    Last edited by mbely2; 01-16-2008 at 08:47 PM.

Flashaholic*

Ok, i've heard of a Milky Cree L1, 165Lm on high, focusable optic....when does this light get it's own thread, or are we just going to keep it going here? I want some details and/or a nice full review with beamshots!
    List of flashlights that used to be here has been removed (by me) to save our search function. NOW USE IT.

I have one....Nany, nany boo, boo. Seriously ttran97 also has one, and I posted the details of the mod in post #39. Here it is again...

Milky L1 TIR

CREE Q4 WC emitter, hand-tested for optimal L1 compatibility
    Stock circuit replaced with a Madmax Plus Circuit
    Stock TIR Optic - Focusable
    Tailcap resistance recalibrated to 3 to 5 lumen low
    Rechargeable friendly

It is the best L1 I've had thus far, and a great EDC. I never leave the house without it and my Novatac 120P. It's a little pocket rocket that puts out a lot of light from such a small package. It rivals the WolfEyes 190 lumen drop-in I have in my G2. It also has great throw. I highly recommend this light to any true Flashaholic. I will try to get a better review and some beam shots up soon.
    Rob Bond - My Lights - Needs some serious Updating

I'd love to give a review, but my L1 Cree has been in Milky Labs since before Thanksgiving waiting to get this treatment.

Quote Originally Posted by scottaw View Post
    Ok, i've heard of a Milky Cree L1, 165Lm on high, focusable optic....when does this light get it's own thread, or are we just going to keep it going here? I want some details and/or a nice full review with beamshots!

Quote Originally Posted by bondr006 View Post
    I have one....Nany, nany boo, boo. Seriously ttran97 also has one, and I posted the details of the mod in post #39. Here it is again...

Milky L1 TIR

CREE Q4 WC emitter, hand-tested for optimal L1 compatibility
    Stock circuit replaced with a Madmax Plus Circuit
    Stock TIR Optic - Focusable
    Tailcap resistance recalibrated to 3 to 5 lumen low
    Rechargeable friendly

It is the best L1 I've had thus far, and a great EDC. I never leave the house without it and my Novatac 120P. It's a little pocket rocket that puts out a lot of light from such a small package. It rivals the WolfEyes 190 lumen drop-in I have in my G2. It also has great throw. I highly recommend this light to any true Flashaholic. I will try to get a better review and some beam shots up soon.
    Yes, James here was the one that convinced me to send in my ML-1 Cree. It's quite a steal since I grabbed the L1 cree from the marketplace. So overall, I've got a VERY bright light that is compact and very useful! This thing can get up to 180 lumen or so if you use rechargeables! Milkyspit did a great job, as always!

Surefire ML1 Cree modded by Milkyspit...Approved! (can you tell i'm having fun with my new graphic??? haha!)
    Last edited by ttran97; 01-29-2008 at 03:22 PM.

Scott, you've got mail!

Help Re: Milky L1 Information Thread Part 2

I wonder if there is a difference between A2, L2 and L1 tailcaps? Different resistors, perhaps? Or they are the same and interchangeable....

What will happen with secondary (low) output of my Milky L1 if I will use A2 tailcap on it?

Any input is highly appreciated.

Mark
    Last edited by mbely2; 01-30-2008 at 05:13 PM.

GWS, message replied... yesterday!

I wonder if there is a difference between A2, L2 and L1 tailcaps? Different resistors, perhaps? Or they are the same and interchangeable....

What will happen with with secondary (low) output if will use A2 tailcap in my Milky L1?

Any input is highly appreciated.

Mark
    No difference in the stock tailcaps for L1, L2, and A2... they're all the same, right down to the resistance incorporated into them for the low beam.

That said, I do recalibrate some of the tailcaps in the modified lights... but parts for the Milky L1 and Milky L2 should all be interchangeable anyway, so no harm in mix-and-match!
    --Scott

Scott,

PM sent.

Quote Originally Posted by milkyspit View Post
    No difference in the stock tailcaps for L1, L2, and A2... they're all the same, right down to the resistance incorporated into them for the low beam.

That said, I do recalibrate some of the tailcaps in the modified lights... but parts for the Milky L1 and Milky L2 should all be interchangeable anyway, so no harm in mix-and-match!

Scott, thank you for the info! I just bought extra tailcap for my ML1s

I have two ML1 lights: one with regular circuit and another one with MadMax Plus.
    Both light are now my favorites and I use one of them for work every day. On low they both emmit about equal amont of light...

Just recently I found out that switching tailcaps between two of those lights changes output on low: on "standard" ML1 it becomes really dim or "ultra low" - perfect for use at night indoors, and "upgraded" ML1-x getting mid-high output on low - perfect for outdoor use. (ML1x's talcap has 30ohm resistor installed)

After this "discovery" I think that getting an extra tailcap is inexpensive way to add even greater versatility to ML1x.

Mark
    Last edited by mbely2; 01-31-2008 at 04:18 PM.

Scott,
    Let me know If you have any ML1s. Don't care If they're the "Magnum" edition.

Also, some Nexgens would be nice.
    I miss my Milkmods.

Quote Originally Posted by skalomax View Post
    Scott,
    Let me know If you have any ML1s. Don't care If they're the "Magnum" edition.

Also, some Nexgens would be nice.

Skalo, I've got a ML1 Smoothie Magnum sitting on my desk right now if you want it.

I'm also working on getting a couple more L1 hosts but they're not likely to get here for another week or so... still negotiating with the seller in fact. These would be more expensive than usual because it's looking like I'll need to pay full retail price for the hosts.

Nexgens not available at present. I can order one for your build if you cover the cost and can wait an extra week or so.
    --Scott

Quote Originally Posted by milkyspit View Post
    Skalo, I've got a ML1 Smoothie Magnum sitting on my desk right now if you want it.

I'm also working on getting a couple more L1 hosts but they're not likely to get here for another week or so... still negotiating with the seller in fact. These would be more expensive than usual because it's looking like I'll need to pay full retail price for the hosts.

Nexgens not available at present. I can order one for your build if you cover the cost and can wait an extra week or so.
    Hmm, Cash on hand for a ML1.
    I'll give you a call later today so maybe we can figure out a good EDC for me.

Thanks!
    I miss my Milkmods.

Scott, If Scalo passes on this one I will take it, if this Magnum Milky L1 has "full-sized 20mm smooth reflector, Seoul SSCP4 USWOH emitter, and flat ultra-clear lens" for maximum throw.
    Please let me know details,

Mark

Scott, If Scalo passes on this one I will take it, if this Magnum Milky L1 has "full-sized 20mm smooth reflector, Seoul SSCP4 USWOH emitter, and flat ultra-clear lens" for maximum throw.
    Please let me know details,

Mark

Mark, it's yours. Sounds like ol' Skalo will end up with a different configuration, and even if not, I can build him another, no problem.

If you can send Paypal I'll get your light in the mail today. PM here (might be full at the moment) or CPF Marketplace, or email...

--Scott

Scott,
    Super! I just need to know the total amount and e-mail address where to send Paypal.
    I sent you e-mail.
    Thanks!

Mark

Scott,
    Super! I just need to know the total amount and e-mail address where to send Paypal.
    I sent you e-mail.
    Thanks!

Mark

Mark, email replied with the info you requested.
    --Scott

OK Milkyspit, what are my options to upgrade my 4-sided ML-1?

I am considering this. I have one of your ML-1's. It has a Lux III UXOJ and a McR-18 reflector.

I just recently got a stock Surefire latest edition L1 Cree and am wow'ed by the brightness. Smaller and brighter than my ML-1. My only criticism of it would be the low is too bright.

If I was to upgrade my ML-1 what are the possibilities that would make it at least as bright as the L1 Cree with a lower low? Also, I would like my ML-1 to be a bit floodier than it is now with the McR-18 reflector.

Hi Milky, please check your email regarding a TW4 mod.

Thanks,

Paul

I now have my ML1 Cree Extreme. Wow. I can't wait to try it out.

I think I've got a keeper here.

Scott, I just sent you an email, about swapping out the reflector of my Smoothy.

Cheers.

Hi Scott

I am interested in having an a surefire L1 Cree modded by Yourself.
    I don't have the flahlight,and would you be able source one to avoid it numerous trips across the Atlantic?

I am a firearms officer and shooter and would like one with good throw, but will be guided by your expertise in this field.

What would be wait time, cost, runtime etc

Your Pm box was full so reply via that please as it can be days before i get back on a computer.

Thanks Graeme

What is a ML-1 Cree Extreme? It sounds like the upgrade I need for my Lux III UXOJ.

Quote Originally Posted by NotRegulated View Post
    What is a ML-1 Cree Extreme? It sounds like the upgrade I need for my Lux III UXOJ.
    I'd like to post a full review once I have a chance to take it into the woods, but here's what Scott did for me: Take a stock L1 Cree. Change the drive level and adjust the resistance in the tailcap so the High is more than twice as bright, and the Low is half as bright. Leave the optic in place, but make it focusable, so I can change the size of the hotspot and eliminate some of the ringyness.

My first impression is, why didn't Surefire think of this in the first place?

But now, I see maybe they're. Their new lights have lower lows and higher highs, and the new U2 is focusable!

Cheers!

This is one of the best, if not the best Milky L1 mod I have ever had. It is a little pocket rocket throw monster. I never leave home without it. And btw GWS....Try an AW 3.7v protected rcr123a in it. You think it's bright now....You'll really have to wear shades
    Rob Bond - My Lights - Needs some serious Updating

Anyone know if milky is doing ML-1s with the new L1 Cree as host?
    as in, he gets the L1, and does the mod, and i can buy the whole thing...and also, because the first post is confusing, and im in the midst of decifering it, just in case i dont, which is the absolute brightest mod with a regular low?

thanks bunches!

Crenshaw

Quote Originally Posted by Crenshaw View Post
    Anyone know if milky is doing ML-1s with the new L1 Cree as host?
    as in, he gets the L1, and does the mod, and i can buy the whole thing...and also, because the first post is confusing, and im in the midst of decifering it, just in case i dont, which is the absolute brightest mod with a regular low?

thanks bunches!

Crenshaw
    Yes, see the two preceding posts .

The "X" mod increases the drive current, so that would be your brightest option. I am sure Milkyspit will chime in shortly...
    Will work for lights.