Feeler: Driver Circuit for max LED Power from Hub Dynamo

Martin

Enlightened
In the past I've been experimenting with LED driver circuits that draw the maximum power from a hub dynamo and feed this into some LEDs.
Here's a power vs speed graph that compares different configurations (3, 4 and 6 LEDs) with my latest driver circuit:
MultiSwitchComp.gif

The driver circuit that can do this has been presented here and it's now confirmed that this same circuit can handle 3..6 LED systems as well as hub and bottle dynamos. Just the component values have to be adapted.
Now before I start work on a PCB, I ask around if there are people who want one and if it should be made in a certain way.
It will be an unpopulated PCB, I will not go into having modules manufactured.

So far I have discussed the project with ktronik and we said that it would have to fit into a steerer tube. So the PCB would be 1" wide but rather long, rectangular, not round.
The circuit requires 4 to 5 larger capacitors (in case of a hub dynamo, they can be bigger than the rest of the circuit) and these will not be put on the PCB but connected by wires. This way the PCB can remain small and the capacitors can be located where there is space. The PCB is estimated to take an area of around 16 sq cm (2.5 sq inch) without the external capacitors.

I wonder if the project should be done in traditional through-hole technology or rather SMT. While SMT can reduce the size and avoids the need to drill holes in the PCB, the components are more difficult to find and to handle for the hobbyist. Any opinion on this ?

The circuit does not contain any stand light / battery / supercap / charger features. It neither contains a tail light driver / controller (but no problem connecting a readily made one across the main LEDs). Who considers these features essential ?

I intend to make the wire connection to the PCB by large solder pads. I consider this smaller and less prone to corrosion than any clamp or connector. What do you think ?

An overvoltage crowbar would have to be added to prevent damage to circuit and LEDs in case that the LEDs disconnect. I also plan on adding a strain relief for the connecting cables. These things will add length to the PCB but are needed when the driver circuit is not located inside the lamp cabinet. Maybe I should put them near the end of the PC so they can be cut away ?

Let me hear what you think.

Martin

Last edited:

Calina

Enlightened
Re: Driver Circuit for max LED Power from Hub Dynamo

Hi Martin,

Would you have by any chance a power graph for 2 LEDs?
What caps would be required for 2 LEDs and a bottle dynamo?
As you point out SMT is not easy to work with for hobbyist, I would prefer through-hole technology.
Also I think a stand light is an absolute must.

Calina

Enlightened

Your title is not very informative.

I'm sure you can find something but maybe the word "Feeler" at the beginning would bring in more responses.

Ritar Hylon

Newly Enlightened
This is fantastic!

Hello Martin!

I have been a CPF lurker for a few years, but have decided to make my first post in response to your amazing work.

For the past few years, I have tried to live a (largely) car-free life in the California Car Kingdom. My ride-of-choice initially featured a generator driven Lumotec, but the combination of low-output and no stand light caused me switch to a DIY overvolted lithium-ion powered MR-16 solution. This seemed to provide adequate light (~400 lm) but had obvious drawbacks (run-time limitations, fragility, beam pattern issues, etc.)

Based on your work (and others in this forum) it is time to reconnect my dynamo. The above circuit seems to supply ample power for an LED-based light, but ideally, I would like to keep some kind of stand-light capability. Here are some of my specific requests:

• Coupling KTRONIC's Dyno-Batt system with this autoswitching circuit would be ideal in that it would give a stand-light (assuming I can get some big caps).
  • A tail light capability, would be of less importance (I can get an entire season's worth of taillight illumination from a set of primary cells).
  • A through-the-hole board is a must, if I am to put it together (for a pre-assembled board, I would prefer SMT.)
  • Solder pads would be desirable, for my needs.

I am eager to see what others think and what ultimately comes from this project. Thanks for the great posts!

RH

Martin

Enlightened

It's on my website, called Double1 and Double2.

Hi Martin,

Would you have by any chance a power graph for 2 LEDs?
As you point out SMT is not easy to work with for hobbyist, I would prefer through-hole technology.
Also I think a stand light is an absolute must.

Martin

Enlightened
Re: This is fantastic!

• Coupling KTRONIC's Dyno-Batt system with this autoswitching circuit would be ideal in that it would give a stand-light (assuming I can get some big caps).
  • A tail light capability, would be of less importance (I can get an entire season's worth of taillight illumination from a set of primary cells).
  • A through-the-hole board is a must, if I am to put it together (for a pre-assembled board, I would prefer SMT.)
RH

Welcome to CPF Ritar and proud to meet a California-based commuter. If you do 80% of your trips by bike, your savings on gas beat the very latest engine technology by miles.
And thanks a lot for your feedback !

For standlight, there are a number of unanswered questions: How many minutes of light at what minimum power will be asked from the standlight ?
What reservoir should be used ? SuperCaps are nice, but real expensive for a big one. LiIon would be much more affordable if both longer runtime and more power is requested at the same time. For a to-be-seen light, no issue though.
Then, I ask myself what minimum power I should leave to the headlight while charging the reservoir. 1 W OK ? Or maybe use a switch to let the user decide if he wants to put full power into the reservoir or into the headlight or 50-50 or 70-30% or 30-70% ? I try to avoid switches if can, or we will soon be 100% busy with our bicycle dashboards during a ride..

If a dynamo tail light is desired, one could connect a readily made one (here's my favorite for this purpose) across the LED string. However, you said it, a battery-powered tail light can last really long so that it is often preferable not to run 1.5m of cable to the tail of the bike. Now that I can get battery tail lights that turn on automatically if it's dark and the bike is moving, there's not much incentive in wiring a taillight to the dynamo system.

ktronik

Enlightened

I will have some time to build up a 6 LED version of the basic circuit for a 'confirm' test. I will drop the caps down to 100uf in fullwave & see how much power we get...

I have a long weekend...:nana: so into the workshop I go...

K

n4zou

Newly Enlightened
Re: This is fantastic!

Hello Martin!

I have been a CPF lurker for a few years, but have decided to make my first post in response to your amazing work.

For the past few years, I have tried to live a (largely) car-free life in the California Car Kingdom. My ride-of-choice initially featured a generator driven Lumotec, but the combination of low-output and no stand light caused me switch to a DIY overvolted lithium-ion powered MR-16 solution. This seemed to provide adequate light (~400 lm) but had obvious drawbacks (run-time limitations, fragility, beam pattern issues, etc.)

Based on your work (and others in this forum) it is time to reconnect my dynamo. The above circuit seems to supply ample power for an LED-based light, but ideally, I would like to keep some kind of stand-light capability. Here are some of my specific requests:
I am eager to see what others think and what ultimately comes from this project. Thanks for the great posts!

RH
I ride a considerable number of miles on an MUP at night as a Trail Watch volunteer. My job is to help people with mechanical trouble stuck on the trail after dark and look for nefarious types looking to cause trouble. Here is the circuit I am currently using.
all-standlight.jpg

It's not as powerful or bright as Martin's circuit but it provides light at all times for both the head and taillights. I have over 200 nighttime patrol miles and have found I have a tendency to overcharge my battery pack. I will be adding monitoring circuits soon and start disengaging the dynamo from the tire more than I've been doing and add a few more LEDs' as clearance lights to decrease the 120mA charging current feeding the batteries when the dynamo is engaged and I am running over 10 MPH.
I am still in the design and test stage as can be seen in the photo below.
Hpim0307.jpg

This example circuit could be used to automatically disconnect the batteries if your type of riding could discharge the battery pack due to slow and/or stop and go riding in city riding.
dynamo-battery-1.jpg

The driver chip would simply disconnect the batteries from the LED when batteries are depleted and your stopped. As soon as your dynamo starts providing 1.2 volts the LED driver would automatically turn on the LED headlight once again. The chip shown is only an example; any commercially produced LED driver circuit for 1-watt LED's would do the same thing.

Martin

Enlightened
Let me hear your preference for the standlight:
What would be the minimum power and runtime for it ?
How fast and when would its reservoir be charged ?
Are user controls needed and what params are to be controlled ?

znomit

Enlightened
Many times I have found that an independent front light is a good idea (especially if Im the one doing the wiring!!!). With this system a front blinky would supplement it better than a standlight.

bbaker22

Newly Enlightened
Martin-
I'd be interested. Definitely not smt for my shaky hands. Solder pads sound fine for the wire connections. Standlight would be nice, but not essential.

baker

Ritar Hylon

Newly Enlightened
Let me hear your preference for the standlight:
What would be the minimum power and runtime for it ?
How fast and when would its reservoir be charged ?
Are user controls needed and what params are to be controlled ?

• I would want a minimum of 100lm from the light which would be about 1 Watt from a Q5.
  • The longer, the better on runtimes, of course, but I suppose I would want an absolute minimum of 5-10 minutes.
  • Maybe 1/10 of the available power could be sent to the reservoir once speed exceeds say 15kph.
  • An on/off switch would be a minimum control for me.
  • If one could add "fancy" tricks like multiple output levels, that would be nice-to-have (steal a controller board from a Fenix?)

rideatnight

Newly Enlightened
Martin, I was trying to figure out a way to get a decent standlight by using a Yellow LED, so the runtime would be several minutes. Does this circuit make any sense?
standlight.jpg

The idea was to use the transistor as a switch, that would allow current to flow to the supercap and the yellow LED while the dynamo is running. When current isn't flowing through the crees, the transistor closes off the circuit and the yellow led runs off of the supercap (with the voltage being the voltage drop across the cree).

http://picasaweb.google.com/cphill2/DIYLights

I've already built my shimano dynamo powered dual cree light, using your medium powered circuit (with 470uf caps in series, 4700uF cap in parallel). With the Q5 bin, it's incredibly bright, enough that I almost want to dim it sometimes. I added a 7.5V zener diode in parallel with the big cap. At speeds above 40 kph (25mph) the hub provides a noticable notchy drag. Is this just back EMF, and has anybody else experienced this?

Last edited:

Martin

Enlightened
Martin, I was trying to figure out a way to get a decent standlight by using a Yellow LED, so the runtime would be several minutes. Does this circuit make any sense?
standlight.jpg

The idea was to use the transistor as a switch, that would allow current to flow to the supercap and the yellow LED while the dynamo is running. When current isn't flowing through the crees, the transistor closes off the circuit and the yellow led runs off of the supercap (with the voltage being the voltage drop across the cree).

http://picasaweb.google.com/cphill2/DIYLights

I've already built my shimano dynamo powered dual cree light, using your medium powered circuit (with 470uf caps in series, 4700uF cap in parallel). With the Q5 bin, it's incredibly bright, enough that I almost want to dim it sometimes. I added a 7.5V zener diode in parallel with the big cap. At speeds above 40 kph (25mph) the hub provides a noticable notchy drag. Is this just back EMF, and has anybody else experienced this?

Welcome to CPF, rideatnight.
Sorry, your circuit doesn't make sense. As the LEDs are powered from the dynamo, the transistor's base is negative vs the emitter so the supercap will never ever charge. Give it another try, then test it !
If you want a nicely optimized solution, simply take a commercial dynamo tail light with standlight function and look how they do it. They employ between 2 and 4 bipolar small signal transistors.

When your hub is part of a wheel and being used on a real bike, you shouldn't get that notchy drag. If no loose spokes, no lose axle and no shaky fork legs, the mass absorbs the notches. If you put the hub into a lace or stand drill though, the notches are very obvious and can be really loud at a specific speed and load condition.
I assume you put the Zener to protect the LEDs in case they disconnect. It needs to be a big Zener, capable of handling 5 W. If you put the Zener in order to limit the brightness, that's not a good idea.

John Phillips

Newly Enlightened

Hi Martin,

May I take the liberty to offer an answer to part of the question? I have been playing with this exact set-up. For an 8-pole bottle dynamo driving two LEDs in series I suggest the following capacitances for the new full-wave doubler circuit:

C1, C3 = 100 uF
C2, C4 = 33 uF

2200 uF (2.2 mF [millifarads]) for C5, the main filter capacitor, is plenty for a bottle dynamo with its higher ripple frequency. You shouldn't notice any flicker at all.

These values will make effective series capacitances of 50 uF for the voltage doubler mode and 200 uF for the normal bridge rectifier mode. This approximates the capacitor values in the Manual Switching between Voltage Doubler and Bridge Rectifier circuit at Martin's Web page http://www.pilom.com/BicycleElectronics/DynamoCircuits.htm

I have found these values seem to work well with two LEDs and an 8-pole bottle dynamo, giving a smooth, non-peaky power graph.

Cheers,
John.

Martin

Enlightened

John, the values you suggest are critical.
Because this matter doesn't exactly fit this thread, I have put the answer in the thread that mentioned the manual switching circuit before.

For the stand light feature, I intend the following:
Charge a string of supercaps to the voltage of the LED string or below and limiting the charge current. User can set the limit by component value. The charge action may be limited to bridge rectifier mode only.
Power the LED string from the supercaps using a step-up circuit.
The step-up is LED-current controlled, with the current set to a level less than what is driven by the dynamo so that the step-up only engages if the LED string receives very little current from the dynamo. The current is user defined by component value.
The step-up will discharge the supercap to near zero after the power from the dynamo ceases. If LiIon is desired instead of the supercaps, the step-up would have to look a little different as it needs an undervoltage cutout.
A manual switch is optional, it could do this: Standlight on, Standlight off, Max power standlight burst

As you ride this circuit, the following happens: When starting the ride, the supercap slowly charges from zero and the light is on at the same time. When you then slow down to a rather low speed or stop completely, the step-up pumps energy into the LEDs so that the light level doesn't drop below a certain minimum. When you go slow or stop for a longer time, the charge on the supercap depletes and you have less light / no light.

I'd like to hear some opinions on the preferred standlight reservoir. Supercaps or LiIon ?

Unless everyone shouts that this standlight thing is absolutely needed, I will do the first version of this PCB without.

Last edited:

dom

Enlightened

Hi Martin
Can you make the standlight blinking -maybe use less power and have smaller caps?
I find i need it at some intersections -and the small blinky i have runs out of batteries too quickly (button cells)
I wouldn't mind one with either the Supercaps or LiIon:grin2:

Cheers
Dom

thomas.hood

Newly Enlightened

I'd like to hear some opinions on the preferred standlight reservoir. Supercaps or LiIon ?

Can you suggest advantages/ disadvantages?

Aren't LiIons liable to explode if mistreated?
Which would lose least energy to internal resistance on charge/ discharge?

Unless everyone shouts that this standlight thing is absolutely needed, I will do the first version of this PCB without.

I would consider a standlight essential: I don't see how you can turn across traffic at a junction without one. This is a time I feel very vulnerable and would like the brightest light possible. I think 3 minutes would be ample.

My aim would be to have a 3 Cree string at front, 4 red at back (to give a similar Vf for each string), powered by a SON.

I want an uber-'be seen' light, with both sets blinking, so these front/back pair could either blink simultaneously or simply alternate. I would imagine the near continuous Vf load of the second scenario would be better from an efficiency point of view - is this the case?

I'll be commuting to and from work in the dark soon, so keep up the amazing work!

Thanks,

Tom

PhxCycler

Newly Enlightened
Hi Martin,

I'm new to the forum and have been reading with interest the development of the LED driver for a generator. :goodjob:
I own a SON hub, but am a roadie. I do ride 24+ hour events quite frequently and am always looking for ways to improve my lighting. I've ordered all the components to build up one of those bad boys and give it a try. Anyway, to your questions.
  • The circuit board size sounds good to me, but on a road bike the steerer tube is not available for any housing.
  • I'm definitely interested in one of the boards.
  • Through hole technology would be my preference.
  • I have no need nor desire for a tail light control nor a stand light. I always have a cheapo Cateye EL500 LED light for backup and use that for a stand light when rarely needed.
  • I do like your idea of having some of the board available to be cut away for "optional" circuitry.
Many thanks for your efforts and your willingness to share all this with the rest of us! :thumbsup:

-Mike