TOO MANY CABLES!!!

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello, my name is greenlight, and I have a problem. Too many cables!!:mecry:

Every few days I have to unplug my USB expansion unit and detangle all the cables just to get thru the room. There must be at least ten including 2 power cables a phone charger, plus the cables to my printer, modem, and even my xbox controllers.

It's getting out of hand. My room looks like a snake pit. Watch out, Indy!!

Indiana: There's a big snake in the plane, Jock.
Jock: Oh, that's just my pet snake Reggie.
Indiana: I hate snakes, Jock. I hate 'em.
Jock: C'mon, show a little backbone, will ya?

(OK, I like snakes, but I thought the quote was funny)

I think I'm going to have to invest in some IR devices to cut down on the cable clutter.

If you have found a solution to this problem, or a recommendation, please let me know!! Or if you have the same problem, feel free to post a story or a photo.

mchlwise

Enlightened
Good quote. :grin2:

One word: cableties

Buy yourself about a hundred of the little 4-5" ones, and go nuts. They work wonders.

FlashSpyJ

Enlightened
My desk used to look like a snake nest too!

Resizeof2007-09-28004.jpg

Resizeof2007-09-28003.jpg

Resizeof2007-09-28002.jpg

Resizeof2007-09-28001.jpg

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK, but a lot of my cables are for various items, and they go everywhere, so this is not my ultimate solution. I thought about a tube, too, that might help a few of them.

Right now I'm going to move my cell phone charger to another location.

I guess my main problem is I don't 'compute' at my desk, and my devices follow me on the floor instead of behind the desk.

FlashSpyJ

Enlightened
hehe... yupp I know, its a mess, but atleast no cables on the floor! its not the nicest solution, but now my GF wont have to brake anything while vacuuming.

Dr Jekell

Enlightened
Wireless network with a PC tower w/o screen, keyboard or mouse attached running as a server with all of your USB devices attached. I can also be used as an internet server.

Also buy several second-hand Cell Ph chargers (Cheeper than buying new or 3rd party) & have one (or more) in each room of the house.

You can also get a 3 door waist height cabinet & use it for your attached gadgets.

Just drill several large holes in it (2-3 in the top & 2 on the side down by the back edge) so you can route the power & data cables through them into the cabinet where inside one of the doors you could have several multi plug power adapters for the power plugs, the USB devices & wireless router/s etc behind the next door, and use the last for storing all of your manuals/media/consumables.

You could also use the same technique for battery chargers and assorted equipment.

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*
cable ties are OK, bt MY personal preference is old style lacing cord - flat style for small to mid sized bundles, and round for larger bundles. I think they look better, the bundle is smaller, and slightly more flexible. The problem is learning HOW, and the time to do it RIGHT

RA40

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mine was becoming messy. Home Depot had these wire wraps/looms so I bought couple packages and went at it. Sorry, no before-after shots.

Phone, 2-monitors, cable modem, speakers, router, 3 runs of CAT cables, power cords for the main boxes, 2-printers, external USB card readers...radio, laser disc player, lamp...ugh.

desk1.jpg

desk2.jpg

da.gee

Enlightened
I had good luck cleaning up my workstation with split loom tubing from cableorganizers.com. They have a zillion solutions at good prices. There are a few pics here:

Cables Organized!

The key for me was to combine those cables/cords which terminated in the same place. To make dissimilar cables/cords the same length I adjusted them by making a couple folds and zip or cable tie them. Once they're close to the same length you gather them up and run the whole batch through the tubing. It is really easy with the little tool they provide. I was very happy with the results and would recommend it. Many cool colors too. I stuck with black to go with my Anthrocart.

da.gee

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Nice job, da gee. Those black plastic ducts blend in with the desk and look like they belong there. It almost looks like the various components are connected to a water cooling system or something!

da.gee

Enlightened
Thanks. It was a lot easier then I thought it would be. In fact I will say flat out it is simple. I didn't really think about how well they might match with the black tubular look of my Anthrocart but as it turns out they really do go together well. Better lucky than good!

P.S. I kinda thought it had sort of a "Brazil" look to it if you're familiar with that flick.

Latest posts